Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

beautiful touch on the staircase.  Maury

We do not know what all these facilities looked like on Young America, so this is all creative design on my part – but typical of the period and the class.

And great creative design it is.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Fun part(well there are many fun parts), but this fun part(building the great cabin and accommodations) must be real fun.  A little artistic license availeth itself.   :10_1_10:

I suspect the roof of the poop deck will be be the window into the gallery.  

Great job Ed....real artistic workmanship.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

After only a few days missed, I return to this build to find, yet another eyeball popping posting. Cannot, for the life of me, comprehend such excellence. Such a treat to see.

Finally concluded.... EdT is a robot.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Ed,

Collectively we ran out of adjectives a long time ago, so suffice it to say, I love watching each and every post.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Ed,

Being curious, I wondered how the toilet was kept clear.  I believe that deck would have been close to the water line and the aft portion of the ship would have been subject to following seas, so was it a bench with a container that it could be dumped overboard? :huh:

Edited by Walter Biles

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 111 – Main Deck

For a change of pace from the cabin deck paneling, I started work on the main deck.  In the first picture, the external, cabin deck forward bulkhead has been constructed followed by the coaming and decking inside the cabin deck entry structure.

post-570-0-90168500-1424726875_thumb.jpg

To proceed with the central decking and the hatchway coamings, the mast partners had to be first roughed in.  The next picture shows the partners for the main mast being fit.

post-570-0-88504700-1424726876_thumb.jpg

The mast is a dummy – a ½" dowel fitted with a tenon on the mast step in the hold.  The rake is being set with the rule at rail height based on marks made along the top strake of bulwark planking.  This will all be refined later when the final masts are fitted with chocks and mast coats.

In the next picture, the main hatch coaming is being assembled forward of the main partners.

post-570-0-82717000-1424726877_thumb.jpg

The cross-deck head ledges hold the fore and aft coamings down and together with angled dovetails.  The excess ends will be sanded off after the coaming is glued together.  It will then be permanently fixed to the deck framing.  The term coaming has two meanings: the overall assembly and the fore and aft pieces.

In the next picture, the two bilge pump suction pipes have been connected to their lower parts and framed in place aft of the main mast partners.

post-570-0-59816300-1424726878_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows central planking being installed starting at the mizzenmast.

post-570-0-17520600-1424726879_thumb.jpg

The next picture – from the opposite (port) side - shows planking completed forward to the main hatch.

post-570-0-18816700-1424726880_thumb.jpg

The mast openings will be enlarged later.  There is a scuttle in the deck aft of the pipes to permit access to the main water tank manway below.

Forward of the main hatch is the large deck cabin.  Its coaming is shown fitted and pinned into place in the last picture.

post-570-0-18157600-1424726881_thumb.jpg

The foremast partners and then the chain pipe openings are just forward of the cabin.  All deck structures were based on coamings similar to the hatch coamings.  These could be effectively caulked and sealed to keep water out of the cargo decks below.  The main deck cabin housed the crew and the galley.

Ed

Really beautiful work Ed. I've been finding myself looking forward to your updates more and more each time!

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

HI Ed,

I never realized that the cabins on deck also had coamings to seal water. Obvious, once you point it out, but not obvious before then! Your project continues to instruct at all levels!

Mark

Thanks, everyone.

Mark, the use of coamings to improve sealing at deck partitions and to raise the height of doorsteps was probably aimed at keeping water out of the lower decks.  This was of less concern on the 18C RN ships most of us have been used to - with their open gratings and ladderways.  Those ships were probably pretty sodden below deck.  While all wooden ships leak to some extent this would have been a serious problem on these ocean carriers that stored all manner of goods below deck for multi-month voyages.  So the raised coamings - 18" for hatches on YA - as well as the caulking of hatch covers before voyages were all part of a series of practices to protect the cargo - some of which was very high value and subject to water damage.

Ed

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 112 – Main Deck/Forecastle Framing

The first picture shows the main deck aft of the main hatch after completion of the central planking and treenailing.

post-570-0-40073100-1425477567_thumb.jpg

Topsail sheet bits are now installed for each mast.  The metal plates over the pump suction pipes will be blackened.  The next picture shows decking completed at the bow.

post-570-0-42113400-1425477568_thumb.jpg

The port side in this area will be left unplanked – as shown.  The starboard side was planked so the anchor chain can be shown on this side.  The chain pipes have not been installed, but will come up through the two square cutouts forward of the sheet bits.  The two carrick bits are installed and will support the winch later.

At this stage the forecastle could be framed.  The next picture shows the beginning with the setting of the breast beam.

post-570-0-14326500-1425477569_thumb.jpg

The beam is supported at the center on the carrick bits and with a bolt into the central Samson post.  In the next picture the setting of the forecastle beams is underway.

post-570-0-64821000-1425477569_thumb.jpg

The top of the forecastle decking needs to be flush at the side with the top of the outer planking – and, of course, it must be fair.  Fairness is being checked as each beam is set using the strip of planking as shown.

As the forecastle beams were set other structures were added.  In the next picture the mooring bits are being glued in.

post-570-0-14580900-1425477570_thumb.jpg

The cathead and capstan carlings have been installed.  The forward beams are still loose, pending fitting of the bowsprit partners.

In the next picture those have been installed along with the lodging knees and half hooks astride the dummy bowsprit.

post-570-0-63575000-1425477570_thumb.jpg

Except for carlings astride the bowsprit, the forecastle framing is essentially complete.  Copper wire, epoxied bolts have been installed to reinforce the structure.

The last picture is a view from directly aft along the deck.

post-570-0-09574100-1425477571_thumb.jpg

This shows the copper bolts through the breast beam.  It also shows the upward sheer and the fairness of the forecastle deck.

Ed

At the speed you are working Ed, I am wondering whether the ship aught to be named the lightning instead of the Young America.... just kidding with a big smile.

Beautiful workmanship all round.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

When you put out a book it will be fantastic.  I am learning more every time I come to this log.

David B

This is my favorite build log for sure.......

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I like to watch somebody who knows exactli what he is doing

I am glad to be pupil in this scool

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Amazing work Ed,

it its a fantastic built ship through and through...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50