Young America by EdT - FINISHED - extreme clipper 1853

What a nice work!

At the end of this building, plus the Naiad, plus The Victory you will surely achive the PhD in Naval Modelling if you haven´t allready got it!! ;)

Always a pleasure to read and re-read your posts Ed!

Daniel.

Thank you, Wayne. I am familiar with these drawings and have been spending a fair amount of time going through the registers. For those not familiar with these, they were for the purpose of classifying ships for insurance purposes. They set construction standards for each category of risk and presumably classified ships on that basis. The New York Marine Register soon became American Lloyds Register (1859). These registers, each year, listed every American merchant vessel, assigned its classification and noted basic contruction parameters - including some details like the iron strapping that has been discussed here. 

This first Register in 1857 was issued three years after the launching of Young America, so her construction was not governed by the standards, but each year she was classified at the highest level - A1. To what degree she complied with the later standards is open to question. It is pretty clear that before the issue of these standards, American builders, owners and underwriters were essentially on their own - probably relying more on the reputation of the builder than construction standards. Lloyds (Britain) standards were known and available but did not govern American ships, nor did Lloyd's register American ships, even apparently, those in British ownership.  Also, there was still post-revolution tension between the countries and America was flexing its muscles as an independent nation. 

The question becomes: Did ships like Young America influence or provide some of the basis for the standards and to what degree?  I believe they are quite representative with some exceptions.

Daniel, thanks again for your compliments  and for your continued interest.

Ed

Young America - extreme clipper 1853
Part 23 – Forward Half Frames

American Clipper Note: In the last part, the three types of frames were discussed.  To shed some further light on that subject, before moving to the half frame work, I have included some images pf patterns that illustrate the types and also the way the shape of Young America’s hull changed from midship to the bow.

The first image shows one of the midship patterns.

post-570-0-39239600-1384721412_thumb.jpg

Young America had relatively flat floors for an extreme clipper compared to the early versions like Griffith’s Sea Witch, McKay’s Staghound or Webb’s own design for Challenge.  In all these ships the angle of the lower timbers to the turn of the bilge was much greater giving the midship a pronounced V shape.  By 1853, designers were learning that extreme deadrise did not contribute to speed to the degree previously thought.  Later extreme clippers had fuller bodies, like the one shown above.

Moving forward the next image shows frame a, the most forward of the half frames and the last one going forward to be set at right angles to the keel.

post-570-0-91535200-1384721412_thumb.jpg 

The most striking feature of this pattern is the extremely sharp v-shape of the hull at this point – a defining characteristic of all the extreme clippers. Notice that the frame is in two pieces separated by the keelson in the center.  These will be bolted to the sides of the keelson.   Also note that the bolt holes are becoming perilously close to the forward (green) outer profile at the top.  This is necessary on this highly beveled frame pair so the bolts can be driven through this forward frame of the pair and not break through the inside profile on the aft frame.  Some are actually over the line, but remember that the sidings on the upper segments are reduced so the bolt holes will actually be inside of the profile when the sidings are reduced.  The pattern is at the forward face of the wider floors.

Finally, the most forward cant frame, f, is shown below.

post-570-0-46469900-1384721413_thumb.jpg

This pattern shows the extremely narrow section just aft of the hawse timbers.  This frame, when assembled with is aft partner, will fit into the forward score of the five cut out in the last part.

So, with that background the installation of the forward frames may be less confusing.

The first picture shows assembly of the two sides of the first half frame pair.

post-570-0-00464500-1384721414_thumb.jpg

The vertical strip between the frames was used to size the separation at the keelson for an easy fit.  Next is a picture of a later frame with two horizontal temporary cross-spales to allow the frame to be installed like a full frame.  This is much easier than dealing with two separated frames.

post-570-0-47487500-1384721414.jpg

Unfortunately the first frame was a bit loose on the keelson, so the bottom cross-spale was removed and replaced with two pieces, each glued only on one opposite side.  This allowed the joint at the bottom to be closed up with a clamp as shown below.

post-570-0-04638000-1384721415.jpg

The next [picture shows a close up of the other side during assembly.

post-570-0-70347300-1384721415.jpg

Note that the bottom of the frame is aligned with the top of the keel rabbet.  The lower cross-spale resting on the keelson was installed to set this height.  When the glue had set at the keelson, the usual spacers were installed above to maintain spacing and adjust the centering – as shown in the last picture.

post-570-0-13631700-1384721416.jpg

In the next part, the most forward cant frames will be set.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Fun to watch a 19th century build, after so much focus on the 18th century. Someday, you might offer some thoughts about how shipbuilding changed between the Naiad and the Young America, above and beyond the differences due to naval vs. commercial. Did they get more efficient in use of materials or assembly as time went on?

Best wishes,

Mark

I do so admire your commitmant to accuracy Ed. I've only seen one other model with the scores mortised in and, of course, you can't tell once the cants are installed. 

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/model/report3/inprogress.htm

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

The mortises provide positive locations for the cants. These can be very helpful, even if they are invisible in the finished model, Greg.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Part 24 – Forward Cant Frames

American Clipper Note: American Clippers not only sailed fast, they were built fast.  Impatient customers demanded it.  A yard would normally launch two from the same slip in a year.  Many were built in close to three months time and one 200-footer, John Bertram, in 61 days.  There were a number of reasons for this productivity.  First there was increased division of labor and the creation of trades.  Gone was the all-around shipwright in favor of gangs for specific tasks.  Steam driven machinery was widely deployed.  McKay, and perhaps other large yards, used steam driven bevel-saws that could be adjusted to the angle of the frame bevel while running.  This alone cut frame fabrication time by a factor of six, using but three men.  Steam derricks were used to raise frames and other heavy timbers, vs. a common practice of everyone dropping what they were doing to lend a hand.  Making treenails was no longer a rainy day make-work job done manually with axes and spoke shaves.  Instead treenails were rapidly turned out in by steam driven lathes.

Back in the model shop, the all-around shipwright plods along.

The first picture shows the most forward cant frames being assembled.  Exactly the same pin-indexed alignment method is being used.

post-570-0-26012600-1384972087_thumb.jpg

After assembling these roughed out pieces, the frames are beveled and the patterns removed.  The sidings of the upper futtocks are then reduced and the bolts installed.

In the next picture this has been done and the starboard frame is being fitted up into the mortise cut for it earlier.

post-570-0-80731800-1384972087_thumb.jpg

Some paring of the mortise sides and bottom was done to neatly fit the frame.  In the next picture, the clamping has been set up in preparation for gluing the frame in.

post-570-0-45952000-1384972088_thumb.jpg

The clamps were then removed, glue was applied and the clamps replaced.  After drying, the clamps were removed, the frames faired and the six iron bolts into the deadwood installed, as shown in the next picture.

post-570-0-21359000-1384972089_thumb.jpg

Stem supports had to be removed for much of this work – usually one side at a time.  In the next picture the port frame has been installed and is being faired with a flat riffler, followed by sanding.

post-570-0-86202500-1384972089_thumb.jpg

No project is without rework.  I have normally been making toptimbers from smaller 9-inch stock so these very visible members will be consistently sized - unlike lower timber sidings that have been filed or machined back after pattern removal.  In the case of these first cant frames, this reduced siding at the top left a small gap at the adjoining hawse timbers that can be seen in the last two pictures.  This was an oversight when I lofted the frames.  Rather than delay the erection, I decided to install the frames, then replace the toptimbers - before the glue had set overnight.  The next picture shows the starboard toptimber being removed with the aid of a razor blade in the glue joint.

post-570-0-33981700-1384972090_thumb.jpg

No glue was applied on the forward side of this piece, so it was easy to separate with light taps along the joint.  The next picture shows the piece being removed, essentially intact.

post-570-0-14346700-1384972091_thumb.jpg

In this picture the port side toptimber has been removed and not yet replaced. 

In the last picture the new larger top timbers have been installed and the joints with the hawse timbers closed up. 

post-570-0-84869700-1384972091_thumb.jpg

Installation of the forward half frames has been suspended until all of the cants are in place – to leave room for that work.

Ed

Ed,

Do you recall what brand of riffler files you use?  My file selection is rather limited.  I have some fairly narrow files, a set of 10 or so, purchased from Micro Mark.  The shanks for the plastic handle attachment are about .1" in diameter and the files are OK but not great.  I'm always on the lookout for better equipment and wonder which you use and like.

Many Thanks,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout

Thank you for the comments and for all the "likes".

Bruce, the stern will be the most interesting construction in the framing. Going aft from the already installed midship frame, there are 29 full frames, then 13 pairs of half frames and finally 6 cant frames. The circular stern is the formed by four radial counter timbers on each side supported off the last cant frames - sometimes called the fashion pieces. The two frames at the center are parallel to the keel and bolted to the sides of the deadwood and sternpost. I decided to use this transomless stern, which was one alternative. Again no specific original design data is available, but I believe this type was common on ships of his size.

Elia, the iles and rifflers I use most often are Grobet - generally coarse cut #0 on wood. They are a top quality Swiss-made file and somewhat expensive, but I really only use a few. Below is a link to one source that has most of the line. Since I rarely throw a tool away, I have a ton of others in various sizes, but the ones you will see most often in the pictures are Grobet.

http://www.contenti.com/catalog.html

Ed

Just a picture showing her at pier.......

post-2739-0-05996600-1385144057_thumb.jpg

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Not to beat a dead horse...but in further research I found some more very rare images that might be of aid.  As you well know both Webb and McKay learned under the skilled hand of Webb the elder....and it isn't too much of a stretch to imagine similar techniques may have developed for both builders.  My own research has produced un-contestable evidence that McKay used internal wood diagonal cross bracing.  This evidence may only suggest he did so on all of his clippers...but is not quantitative.

Here is several images...one of a copy of a drawing my the builder of the cross section of the Glory of the Seas...note to the left the diagonal truss additions......and in the second image of between decks on the Glory when she was being refitted as a fish packing ship...the clear diagonal wooden braces between ribs and knees.  He also used iron banding to reinforce knees, overheads and central support knees.

I thought it might add some more evidence that wooden internal diagonal structures were in use up to the close of the clipper era in American vessels.

post-2739-0-77644700-1385217480_thumb.jpg

post-2739-0-03673500-1385217489_thumb.jpg

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

I Located another rare image of the between decks of the Glory of the Seas 1869.  Image was taken in 1911 during preparations for a *captains* ball.  Note the cross diagonal bracing....this was done internally and from wood.  Image is of poor quality.  Photographic evidence the practice of internal wood bracing was practiced by the very famous Clipper builder Donald McKay.  Now if Webb...repeated the practice on his clippers...no one may truly know..however since both builders learned under Webb's father...the idea that they did is not unreasonable.  Factually..who knows really?

Enjoy

post-2739-0-57958400-1385227316_thumb.jpg

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Rob,

Forgive me if my comments on cross-bracing were confusing or unclear.  I do not believe I have ever disputed that wood cross-bracing was used on American clippers or that Donald McKay employed it in his designs.  In fact, when I was initially researching clippers in search of a subject,  I found it on the drawings for Lightning made by Bill Crothers based on McKay's extensive papers.  Also, Crothers book on American clippers, Figure 12.4, pp 210-211, also shows it, if you have the book.  The unamed ship in this drawing is in fact Lightning.  Crothers book and other sources make it fairly clear, I believe, that Webb and McKay took some different approaches in strengthening their hulls.  The differences and similarities between the two builders are of interest to me, of course, but I am mainly focused on Young America - a Webb ship.

Ed

Outstanding...Ed..No I never assumed you were not clear....on the contrary..you were.  I had originally intended to show these images during the original conversation.  I recently found them.  I do have Crothers book..and that drawing was a perfect example of McKay's application.  The deck plan gives it away as the Lightning...with the gang ways.  Again..as was discussed...you were working out the exact(Or close to it) lateral cross members for YA...and without adequate drawings...trying to determine if iron external lattice or internal was applied to the Webb build.  You also earlier noted that Webb was fond(Or simply did), of using less wood then McKay(Not sure of your source for this).  If that notion is accurate, then iron straps would/could be your logical choice.

With that, then do you have accurate information to permit you to make the correct alterations to your framing to accommodate them?  Or are you gonna make your best educated guess?  I ask, only to settle my opinion, because up to this point..you have been acutely attentive to every detail that accompanied such a hull construction.......down to the last detail.  But if inadequate information allows for artistic license.....then purity of representation takes a back seat to license.

What will you be using for the strapping/banding.  Copper,brass?  Soldered or riveted?

I apologize if I seem critical..I worked with Navy model makers and if every aspect of a model was not represented as authentic as the original...it did not fly. Personally from what I have seen here on these pages, I think your skill and attention to detail is second to none.

Feel free to blow me off.  I'm not that good of a modeler anyway.

Rob

Edited by rwiederrich

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Rob,

As I have said, there is clear documented evidence - for example 20 years of American Lloyds Registry listings - that YA was iron strapped - not at issue and not a guess. By the way, if you look at Table 12.1, p. 198, in Crothers, you will see that McKay used iron bracing as well.

My statement(s) about Webb using lighter structures is based on the many diagrams and tables in Crothers book as well as drawings and other sources that list timber sizes and layouts. Have a look. I do not believe that Webb was "fond" of less wood, but rather that he was confident in the sizes and designs he used and that confidence was justified by the performance and longevity of ships like YA - 30 years, 50 trips around Cape Horn - pretty good. I call this good engineering. I admire it and the courage it takes to pactice it. This attracted me to Webb. No criticism of McKay or any other builder is intended.

As to the question of whether sufficient information is available to build an authentic structural model of Young America, the answer is yes. If this were not the case, I would not be building this model.  I am usually pretty up front in the postings on sources and where any discretion has to be applied.

For the configuration and details of iron strapping, I would refer you to Crothers, p, 197. I will discuss the strapping on the model when we get to it.

I think we have beaten this subject to death on this log. Perhaps this would be a good topic in the Research section.  With your permission, lets move on.

Ed

Thanks Ed for the polite redirection.  It is my nature to question...I build and machine precision refractor telescopes so I tend to be overly observant and when I haven't gotten my head around something entirely......I can become a pest.

I'll defer to your wise move to head-er back on course.  Forgive my incessant.skylarking.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Part 25 – Forward Cant Frames 2

American Clipper Note:  William Webb foresaw the end of the extreme clipper craze.  He came down to the dock to see Young America off on her first voyage in 1853 and remarked to the mate, “Take good care of her Mister, because after she’s gone there will be no more like her.” (Dunbaugh)  Webb turned his yard to the future.  Young America was his last extreme.  Within the next few years  there was a glut in clipper capacity and the premium freight rates they had enjoyed dropped off, ending demand for the type.  Some were slow to see the change, but Webb’s yard continued to prosper building medium clippers, steamships and even a huge ironclad, finished too late to enter the Civil War. 

This part will bring the forward cant framing to completion.

All of these frames were almost completely beveled before installation, as I became more comfortable with accuracy of the pin-indexed assembly.  With patterns left on both faces of the assembled frames, each could be cut back to the green lines on the forward face and the red lines on the aft face using disk and spindle sanders.  The sides were then shaved flat to those lines as shown below, using a carver's rasp. 

post-570-0-09052500-1385302003_thumb.jpg

This tool leaves a very smooth surface requiring little or no sanding.  The work can be held by hand and/or with the aid of a vise.

The next picture shows the clamping of the second frame on the port side.

post-570-0-99341700-1385302004_thumb.jpg 

The clamping of these can be awkward, requiring long-reach clamps and gripping of angled surfaces.  A starboard side frame is being installed below.

post-570-0-62567600-1385302005_thumb.jpg

In the next picture the last frame is being installed – with simpler clamping.  The position of each frame was checked with the square from the base drawing when glued in place.

post-570-0-58001500-1385302006_thumb.jpg

Although the bevel angles of the joint faces were put on each pattern during lofting, there was still need for some refinement to get the proper installed angle.  Each mortise also required some trimming for a good final fit.

With all the frames installed, fair lines for the bolt holes were drawn and the simulated iron bolts installed.  In the next picture a black monofilament bolt is being cut off at the surface after gluing.

post-570-0-12027500-1385302007_thumb.jpg

The excess CA glue was washed off with acetone and the bolts leveled off with a file.  The next picture shows the finished bolting on the port side.

post-570-0-54498900-1385302007_thumb.jpg

The last two pictures show the finished bolting - six 1 1/8" iron blunts per pair driven flush..

post-570-0-31958800-1385302008_thumb.jpg

The thread line seen in these pictures was used to center the half frame pairs.  It is hung by a weight off the center of the sternpost so it can be pushed out of the way or removed when required.

post-570-0-15277300-1385302009_thumb.jpg

In the next part the remaining half-frames will be installed, completing the frame setting of the forward hull.

Work is progressing much more rapidly than I expected.  I think this is mainly due to the pin-indexed frame assembly and the improved beveling method.

Ed

Ed:

The level of precision in your work continues to amaze me.  There are so many techniques we can borrow - I love the way you use the string for centering the frame pairs - elegant simplicity.

Frank

Splendid work, Ed. There's even a precision to the bolting pattern. Is it possible to take higher resolution photos? In many logs, when clicking on the photo a much larger version pops up. Yours is essentially 1:1.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

You are putting together a Chinese puzzle model. You have either a great deal of patience or having a shot after each session.  Did you make your clamps or purchase them?

David B

Thank you both.

Greg, the reduction of the images to 600 pixel width is a throwback to the old site limitations.   I will up the resolution for posting in future, but for a number of reasons I prefer not to post at the full original resolution.  

Ed

...and thank you, David.  The screw clamps are home made.  The are generally described in the MSW Naiad posts and complete dimensioned drawings are included in the book, the Naiad Frigate, Volume I.

Ed

Ed,

Stunning work. What strikes me in looking at this build is the juxtaposition of the mechanical order and details of the frame subassemblies, fastened to the keel, and the flowing, "natural" or organic loft of the hull. Those forward most cant frames really highlight this. Beautiful.

Cheers,

Elia

Elia

Rose Valley, PA

Arethusa: 1907 Gloucester Knockabout