Wood carving tools

Sorry if this has been discussed  a number of times before. I am looking for a small set of micro carving tools for carving scrolls at the end of the rail, trim etc. I came across a couple of Flexcut carving tools with what I hope would happily do the job and includes a number of different types of blade. Here is one i have been looking at :-

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/flexcut-1-5mm-mixed-profile-micro-tool-set-6-piece?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaignid=19833019814&utm_campaign=&utm_term=&adid=&addisttype=xpla&matchtype=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyLGjBhDKARIsAFRNgW-ZCDKYBd4QxkAjMvlM1f6v8yNLmZ-kIrQktZJoDMp4vvin9Gd_sBQaArE3EALw_wcB

Which for the price is about as much as I would want to pay, however there are cheaper Flexcut options out thre with four pieces including 2 knives and 2 gouges.. Knives I am not sure would be worth getting as I have several different knives with optional blades. The cheaper Flexcut option is also less than half the price of the above link.

Here is another set which price wise is somewhere between the two 

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/flexcut-beginner-palm-and-knife-set-kn600 

Perhaps it would be better just buying  one or two better tools and gradually build up a set. If there is such a make out there that is high quality and allows you to do this then any recommendations would be appreciated as would  recommending which individual pieces to buy first. Any different makes of micro hand carving sets which are recomennded would also be appreciated. Best Regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Dave, I'm not a carver so I can't give you any qualified advise but this MSW link below is for a highly touted set of Russian tools. I have no clue as to how the war has affected being able to order a set.

Thank you Keith. I emailed this guy a while ago and his reply was that he would make as set for me but unfortunately he is unable to get them outside of Russia. At least to the UK and Europe I believe. This is due to the conflict and the sanctions currently imposed on Russia. I think they would probably be out of my price range too.Thank you for the Link though Keith as there is some interesting and helpful information on there. Best regards dave

Hi Dave,

There is a company called Metal Clay Ltd in Wareham who sell some miniature carving tools, I bought a set of 1.5mm Dockyard Tools from them last year,good quality mini carvers. Google them,I'm sure you may find what you need,they are also a bit cheaper than Flexcut. Both of which are American imports. Happy hunting.

Dave :dancetl6:   

2 hours ago, davyboy said:

Hi Dave,

There is a company called Metal Clay Ltd in Wareham who sell some miniature carving tools, I bought a set of 1.5mm Dockyard Tools from them last year,good quality mini carvers. Google them,I'm sure you may find what you need,they are also a bit cheaper than Flexcut. Both of which are American imports. Happy hunting.

Dave :dancetl6:   

Thanks Dave, I have seen these dockyard tools you speak of somwhere and look good, so always good to get the heads up on them so thank you for your input. Best regards Dave

Good Evening All;

The NRG has two spiral bound books of 'Ship Modeler's Shop Notes', which can be purchased. Vol II contains, on page 50, a section describing how to make one's own miniature carving chisels. I have done this, and not only is the process a fascinating learning curve, well worth it just for the understanding of basic blacksmithing which ensues; the results are very good also. I have some very sharp chisels in a range of sizes, although I must admit that I have not yet made any gouges, only flat chisels. Gouges will follow though, and their making is also described.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Thank you for your input Mark. I have seen some videos regarding making your own chisels which are around somewhere which shows exactly what you are talking about and it is a credit to you if you have achieved this. I will see if I can find the videos and will post these here for anyone who wants to give this a try.

Edited by DaveBaxt

Thanks Dave; 

That is a really useful post; the videos are straightforward, clear, and inspiring; and the technique is made very clear, and is so simple throughout.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS