Norske Love by Freddy Andrew - Billing Boats - 1:75 - The Eternal Build

Hi Andrew, having been associated with the print industry in my past, I can safely say that the colour of a printed image is only a representation of the true colour. It can vary on each print run, the type of paper used, time etc. I would not worry too much about it as whatever you choose for your deck, it will change in time. The build is coming on well, I'm enjoying following it.

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for that info.  I would still like to get close to the right deck appearance without spending too much time watching it age!  Hoping that you will continue to share my enjoyment of the build as it progresses, and also to prvide guidance when needed, kind regards Andrew.

On this page http://www.batsidan.com/ostindiefararen-till-kina-och-hem-igen/ you can get an idea what a authentic deck looks like. 2nd picture down and also in the movie trailer.

The ship is of course Ostindiefararen Götheborg, launched in 2005.

At last it is your call Freddy (as all decisions are regarding your build ;) )

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hello Brian,

When I purchased the Bllings kits I was disappointed with the fittings (addressed in an earlier post) and concerned about two other issues: the hull has only one layer of planking (resolved by infilling between the bulkhead frames) and there is no deck planking provided in the kit (or kit listing).  The wood used to plank my model was purchased for me by a friend in Norway and the material is unknown to me.  Too late this time round, but I will certainly look out for holly or boxwood on my next Billings Boats build (Wasa).  Thanks for the tip.

Hello Håkan,

Thanks for the video link which I found very informative.  A also found an 18 minute U-Tube movie taken on the Gotheborg by Den Helder with very good resolution.  Reviewing these videos I took some pictures and these are my tentative conclusions:

post-6434-0-53173400-1379438117_thumb.jpg

Assuming that Danish and Swedish ships were similarly constructed in that period, I will stain the lower hull with the same color specified by Billings.

Concerning the deck, the following are pictures of the deck when dry.  If I can find a very light stain (much lighter than I have), then I will use it, followed by a clear matte varnish.  If not then the clear varnish will have to do.

post-6434-0-68834200-1379438395_thumb.jpg

post-6434-0-54351400-1379438422_thumb.jpg

It was interesting to see from the videos how the deck appears when wet.

post-6434-0-63983700-1379438445_thumb.jpg

Thank to you and to everyone who has helped me with this issue.

Warm regards, Andrew.

Another step backwards.........

Working on the mast alignment revealed that the upper fore deck appeared to be misaligned with the main deck and the aft decks.  Following examples in Mastini's "Ship Modeling Simplified", I built a mounting board for the boat; my old arrangement was not stable and the model changed position easily.  The boat is now restrained by two cords at the sides, with the keel vertical.   Where my work bench is not absolutely level, a wedge is used to level the mounting board.

post-6434-0-18010900-1379706116_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this arrangement will permit more solid progress.  The square level shows that the keel is vertical and a level across the ends of one bulkhead shows good alignment.

post-6434-0-43978000-1379706464_thumb.jpg

However, the upper fore deck support beams are not level.  This work was done over thirty years ago, so charge this to youthful impatience.

post-6434-0-44844200-1379706511_thumb.jpg

The following picture shows the misalignment of most of the support beams.

post-6434-0-38658000-1379706672_thumb.jpg

Temporarily attaching the deck further emphasizes the error.  Having seen the work of so many talented builders on this site, this clearly cannot stand.

post-6434-0-26231000-1379706742_thumb.jpg

So nothing for it but to remove the offending support structure and redo.

post-6434-0-40650500-1379707540_thumb.jpg

The model is now ready for new cross beams and lengthwise supports to be fabricated and fitted.  This time it will be done right!  The stern end of the keel has become warped with time, but I plan to carefully file one side and glue extra material on the other as needed.  I have not yet dared to measure the upper aft deck alignment but visually it looks okay.

Then it will be back to setting the provisional mast alignments.

• 2 weeks later...

Because of deck alignment errors mentioned earlier, both the fore and upper aft deck supports had to be rebuilt.

Here the aft upper deck supports have been removed:

post-6434-0-23627600-1380417498_thumb.jpg

The locations of the deck support beams were checked and adjusted by measuring heights and then confirming levels:

post-6434-0-53601800-1380417778_thumb.jpg

The fore deck support structure was carefully disassembled and then rebuilt onto the corresponding bulkheads:

post-6434-0-86339700-1380417906_thumb.jpg

The upper aft deck longitudinal supports were reused, but the cross beams and the top of the last aft bulkhead had to be made from new material:

post-6434-0-03839300-1380417944_thumb.jpg

As mentioned in an earlier post the aft deck entrance structure was disassembled to accommodate the mizzen mast: 

post-6434-0-60406900-1380418234_thumb.jpg

The rebuilt entrance now has sufficient clearance for the mizzen:

post-6434-0-08571600-1380418545_thumb.jpg

This work concludes the correction of earlier defects and I hope that no further rework will be necessary.

Setting the mast rake and vertical alignment.

The model base board (and model keel) were set level on the work bench using T-square and spirit level.  The mizzen rake was set to 2 degrees aft as per the Billing's Boats drawings. This was obtained by setting a protractor to 88 degrees and placing it on a  level set horizontal through the use of packing pieces on the deck.  The mast vertical alignment was set with the T-square set on the model base board.  The mast retaining base was glued into place with the mast left unglued so as to be detachable:

post-6434-0-35983400-1380419384_thumb.jpg

post-6434-0-89244600-1380420489_thumb.jpg

The main mast was aligned to the vertical and the rake set at 1 degree aft.  The fore deck and foremast were also set and aligned with the mast rake 1 degree forward:

post-6434-0-31989200-1380420172_thumb.jpg

A check was made on the vertical alignment of the masts as shown in the next picture:

post-6434-0-02597600-1380420534_thumb.jpg

All three masts have now been provisionally aligned vertically and their rakes set:

post-6434-0-20686800-1380420611_thumb.jpg

The masts will be removed and the infilling of the lower hull can now proceed.  After that the gun turrets will be constructed before infilling the remainder of the hull.

• 1 month later...

Progress has been slow, other pressing commitments and two weeks spent in Venezuela.  Over some years with the model in storage, the stern part of the keel was warped, not badly but an irritation nevertheless.  Used the primitive caveman's approach - hot water, steam and controlled violence.

post-6434-0-37768900-1385662467_thumb.jpg

Continued on with the infill between the bulwarks, until material ran out.  This work is boring, but after double planking The Bounty, I prefer this method as it provides a solid surface allowing the planking to be marked out.

post-6434-0-06649500-1385662614_thumb.jpg

While waiting to get more infill material from the craft shop, I started on the windows/gallery structure at the stern.  The minimal information/instructions provided by Billings Boats seemed to indicate that the lower support structure should be assembled to the hull before planking, with the remaining components attached after planking is completed.  The curvature of the supports was not shown and so a test fit of the lower support and window was used to determine this.

post-6434-0-25463600-1385662908_thumb.jpg

It appears that with the most recent issues of this kit that Billings has eliminated the curvature of the supports and windows.

Following a dry test of the remaining components, it became clear that the window/gallery structure would overshoot the stern upper deck by about 5 mm.  Probably not good.

post-6434-0-90314700-1385663146_thumb.jpg

Closer examination of the section drawings reveals that the window and support material supplied is twice the thickness shown on the drawings.  Also true of the deck material, but less important.  So now I will carefully remove the assembled lower support and reduce all the gallery support components to the required thickness.

Having looked at photos of several completed Norske Love models, I have found one (Tall Ship Models) that has a higher and more raked upper stern deck, that might have resulted from using thicker material.  All other photos indicate that the thickness shown on the Billings drawings was used.

Now have sufficient material to finish infilling the hull up to the stage where the lower deck gun placements must be completed.

"Controlled violence" - I liked that :)

and as all Billings builders, you've noticed their sparse manuals. But I think you master it with your trial and trial again approach.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Hi Freddy,

I have enjoyed your build log very much and hope to learn alot from it. I have a newer version of this kit which is waitting patiently for some attention.

I will follow along as you have lots of great info and pictures which I really appreciate.

Cheers,

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Hi Peter,

As I am the undisputed slowest model builder on the planet, it would be good if you got started on the Norsle Love so that we can learn from each other.  I see that you are currently building the Zeeschouw (a Billings Boat of which I have no knowledge, so I will visit your site to learn about it.  Best regards, Freddy Andrew.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi:
I just inherited a half-built model of Norske Lowe. Lots of plastic blocks and gun carriages. Don't like these fittings. Is Billings now providing wooden gun carriages and blocks? I've found some Russian made laser cut gun carriages that are about the right size. I hesitate to use them, they are not as detailed as the originals.

On my model the masts were built (and broken), but there is no rigging. Once I have cleaned out the dust, I will need to finish the deck and upperworks then start on the rigging. anybody got any advice on the rigging. I only have one drawing, no other instructions.

Roger

• 4 months later...

My husband is doing a model of Billings Norsk Love, he originally purchased the kit in 1973, for many years it stayed dormant but during lockdown he has made much progress.  However the plans aren't brilliant they leave much to the imagination.  He is now attempting the carving of the figarines etc but the stencilling on wood is not clear, items number 36A, 37A, 37B, 37C, 37D, 50, and 51, can anyone please make any suggestions to help him?  Many thanks

from Minehead, England.

• 1 month later...

Wow that looks amazing. You are so talented in modeling. I’m just a newbie but I do hope that one day I’ll manage to do the same. By the way, I'm about to finish my first model and I wanna add some details. As far as I understand I need a carving kit (something like this), can you recommend any?

• 3 months later...

I bought my Norske Love model in 1979 and have resumed building during last year's lockdown. I also had  a major issue with the carving

of the figures on the stern. Definately carving with a razor-sharp blade is a no-no. So I sent an e-mail to Billing using my remaining 9 fingers

and found out that all of figurines are now available in plastic. i managed to get the stencil sent over to South Africa and all I have to do is paint

them gold and attach to the hull. The stencil number is F536. Good luck!