making collars

hamilton

Hi there:

I'm wondering if anyone has a good technique they would be willing to share for making collars for bowsprit shrouds/forestays/bobstays and other similar types of rigging elements. I cannot wrap my mind around how to do this using a single length of rigging line with multiple seizings. Thanks in advance for any tips!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

I'm a bit struggling with the info you're looking for (probably a translation issue :) )

I think you can do it llike the original: spllice an eye in one end, attach the deadeye block in to the line (pace a seizing under it), feed the other end of the rigging line under the bowsprit, and take it upwards again thruogh the spliced eye, and fix it onto itself using a seizing.

Or is that not what you want?

See pic below, Dutch did it slightly different: the used two spliced eyes and a lashing in between.

The line is going from the mast upwards, around the block (attached with a seizing), down round the other side of the mast, under the bowsprit, and upwards again, ending either in a spliced eye, fixed twith a lashing,

or fed through the first eye, and seized to itself.

IMG_5294.JPG

Jan

Edited by amateur

Thanks Jan:

It's actually the bobstay collars that I'm curious about....the mainstay collar is straightforward since it only has one heart seized to it - what I'm having difficulty with is a collar with multiple deadeyes/hearts seized in. On my HMS Blandford build there is an inner bobstay collar on which the bobstay deadeye, the bowsprit shroud deadeyes & the forestay heart are all seized....there's also an outer bobstay deadeye on which the fore preventer stay is also seized - I'm wondering how to seize multiple deadeyes/hearts onto a single length of rigging line......

Thanks again for your post!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton,

Bit of a pain to do, but you probably will need to make a grommet (continuous loop like a quoit) considerably larger than the diameter of the bowsprit and then seize the four eyes into it.  If you form each eye in turn with your fingers and then clamp the eye while you seize it, it should be doable.

John

Most collars have eyes spliced into their ends and these ends are lashed around the spar. Start with a longer length of line than needed and start seizing the various blocks/hearts/eyes into it. Then form the eye splices at the ends of the collar.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks John

I get this in principle, but how would you go about tightening such a thing around your spar - or is it a question of getting lucky and having the correct diameter after you've seized all the elements in....? It is still a very abstract thing to me.....

What I may try is making 2 collars - one for the bowsprit shrouds and one for the bobstay and forestay heart. This may result in a bit of a clunky look, but the images of collars I've seen show a length of rope with two eyes in the ends, lashed together around the spar....I can see how I might manage this at my small scale (1:100) with 2 rigging elements (the bowsprit shroud deadeyes, e.g.) attached - as I wrote this Druxey just responded saying the same thing, so now I'll close!

Anyway - I appreciate the responses all! If anyone has a photo of a bobstay/bowsprit shroud collar they've made and want to share I would greatly appreciate it - it would be nice to have an image to help me think about how to go about things. 

Happy modelling all

hamilton

If you have a serving machine, here's how I did mine:

First serve about 8 to 10 mm of rigging line. Pull this line off the serving machine and form your first eye splice. Next measure off the required amount line needed to encompass your heart block or deadeye. Serve another equal length of line this distance away from your first eye. Now form your second eye splice. Now serve from eye splice to eye splice. Centre your heart of deadeye in between the eye splices and seize in place. You should now have a fully served and seized collar. Have a look at my log for some collars. And as soon as I get back to my rigging, after I've finished the fore shrouds I'll be making a few collars, I'll share some photos for you as I go.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Thanks a lot Andy! I'm going to have a go at a couple to test the waters - what's the worst that can happen? I'll use up a bunch of rigging line....

hamilton

• 2 months later...

I'm struggling as well with the extension of Hamilton's question but found the following.  Looking at Darcy Levers "Young sea officers sheet anchor" it implies that there is only one deadeye per collar and hence two collars, but that in the merchant service it is common to have 2 deadeyes on the same collar.  The kit plans I'm looking at are no help at all.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jason:

This is an interesting point. I've seen kit plans (including those for the Greyhound, which are notoriously unreliable) that show many deadeyes on a single collar. However, reading Lees, It seems that each collar has only 1 deadeye. This is much easier to conceive....

hamilton