Biloxi oyster skiff by russ - 1/24 scale - Finished

Here are some photos of my oyster skiff build. This is an easy project for a first time scratch builder. The entire build is in store bought basswood and the only tools are readily available hand tools. Anyone can do this.

Here are some photos of the templates, the building jig, and the initial construction of the shell.

More to come.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

oysterskifftemplates.jpg

oysterskiffjig.jpg

oysterskiffgluedup.jpg

oysterskiffoverview.jpg

oysterskiffbottom.jpg

oysterskiffbottom1.jpg

Edited by russ

Here is some work on the interior.

More to come.

Russ

oysterskiffshell.jpg

oysterskiffprogress.jpg

oysterskiffprogress2.jpg

oysterskiffprogress5.jpg

oysterskiffrail.jpg

Here is the paint work.

More to come.

Questions and comments welcomed.

Russ

oysterskiffprimed1.jpg

oysterskiffwl.jpg

red waterline stern.jpg

Here are the oarlocks and oars, the display base and a set of horses for the skiff to be mounted on, and some views of the completed model. 

Questions and comments welcomed. .

Russ

oysterskiffoarlocks.jpg

oysterskiffoars1.jpg

oysterskiffoars2.jpg

oysterskiffdisplay.jpg

oysterskiffhorses1.jpg

oysterskiffhorses2.jpg

oysterskiffhorses3.jpg

oysterskiffhorses4.jpg

oyster skiff interior.jpg

oyster skiff on horses.jpg

oyster skiff painter.jpg

oyster skiff sheer.jpg

oyster skiff stern.jpg

oyster skiff well.jpg

John:

Thanks for looking in. This is one of those small projects that I really wanted to post again. It is just so easy to do.

Russ

Glad you reposted this build Russ, it is a great little first-up scratch builders project as you say.  One positive or advantage of the site rebuild is the opportunity to revisit all these great builds as they are reposted.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Pat:

Thanks for dropping by. I agree. This is really kind of fun for me to go back and look over this material. :)

Russ

Sherry:

Thanks for dropping in. It is good to see everyone getting back in the swing of things.

Russ

Thanks for the repost russ.

I've been wanting to attempt a simple first scratch built project and this looks like just the project. I was wanting to build a dinghy for my mom-in-law and this would be perfect.

Anyway, a couple of questions. Do you have the dimensions and spacing on the formers and what did you use as a template for the sides as they appear to not be straight/square. Also what is the width of the stern? The sides read 14' which would be 7" but i'm also assuming they're longer due to the curvature.

Thanks for any help.

Keith

Keith:

I would have to look around for the dimensions of the formers, but they were spaced at 56 inch intervals. The entire boat is 168 inches long and they were evenly spaced.

My templates are made from file folder material.

The max width of the stern is about 43 1/2" at the top of the sides.

The sides must be a bit longer than the straight line length of the boat, but I do not have the templates handy at this moment.

Russ

Edited by russ

Very nice and interesting project. Sisak, the city where I live, is located on two rivers and this kind of boat can be perfect for those rivers.

Kind regards,

Hrvoje :)

Finished: Leut by Dida

My current build: Leut II

My forum dealing with traditional Croatian and Mediterranean shipbuilding: http://drvenibrodovi.forumotion.eu.

The flat bottomed rowing skiff, although it is a distinctly American boat type, has been updated any number of times by different ethnic groups who immgrated to the United States. We have a large group of people who came here from Croatia and Dalamatia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It may be that they added their own distinct flavor to our local boats.

Russ

There is a good deal of "instant gratification" on a smaller project. This would be good to do when framing and treenailing get to be too much. :)

Russ

Russ,

your skiff looks as good this time as it did last time.

Looks like it was fun to build.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

Keith:

I just looked at the templates I sent you but I see no cut in the middle of the top of the formers. I have the centerline marked on each former. That is the vertical line down the center of the formers. But the formers are flat across their tops. That is the flat bottom of the boat.

Russ

Nice little project Russ A full size one of these would be good on the lake. the model finished up really well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael:

Thanks for the kind words.

Down here, these small boats used to be everywhere. Now, there may be a handful of them laying around. I was lucky to get to record the few that I did several years ago.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

That's great Mick. Glad you enjoyed it. I agree about the gift idea. :)

Russ

• 2 months later...

Thanks for looking in and for your very kind words. These skiffs are fun projects. I will be working on another one at the boat show this weekend.

Russ

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the kind words. I always enjoy building large scale models of small boats.

I used Elmer's yellow carpenter's glue, but any similar glue such as Titebond etc will work. Keep a moist cloth handing to wipe away excess glue. That will keep the wood clean for when you paint or finish.

Russ

Russ, don't know how I missed this.  Very nice addition to your Biloxi fleet.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob:

Thanks. I have been building skiffs like this for several years and they are always fun to work on.

Russ