How to cut out gun ports?

Spencer,

Use spacers as Hahn did.  A bit of scrap wood above and below the gunport (between the frames) does wonders.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Spencer,

Use spacers as Hahn did.  A bit of scrap wood above and below the gunport (between the frames) does wonders.

But when I cut them apart how do I make sure the top half is aligned perfectly with the bottom? Especially with the width of the gunport you wouldn't be able to lay it flat or anything

Spencer,

I'm not sure I understand the "cut them apart" thing.  The spacers would secure the frames to each other.  Here's mine: 

post-76-0-02967700-1379139598_thumb.jpg

The spacers at the top and bottom held the frames rigid.  I could then add the sills which also give some rigidity.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So you're using bulkheads instead of frames?   Post a pic and lets get a look at the problem.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Oh... !!!!  I see.  A spacer might work with gunports cut into it, much like the many of the kits come with.  I fear you may need more frames otherwise when fairing, they'll go every which way.  I'll have to think about this....

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

You plank it up, then cut the ports, thusly:

post-961-0-32998700-1378386520_thumb.jpg

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Hmmm planks would hold it well enough?

Certainly.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Doh... post-76-0-80658800-1379211635.gif I guess I read too much into this... apologies.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

How would I go about adding more frames? The plans only come with 20

Spencer, it depends on how you want to build the model - Fully Framed, Fully Planked, or a combination of the two (i.e. one side Framed, one side Planked as I'm doing with my "Vulture", or maybe another combination).

Let me know, and then I'll advise you on the best way to get out of your dilemma - you have one which ever way you go.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Spencer

What plans and ship are you working with?   The bit of plans that are glued to the frame look like you are cutting at the station lines.   The body plan that shows the station lines is not a framing plan, although some frames do in fact fall on the station lines in most cases.    If you really feel ambitious, study the lofting articles here at MSW to get any idea on how to draw the other frames. 

Allan.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Um I don't believe they are specifically Hahn plans. Look at my build log for the royal albert it will give you more of an idea. I would post a link to it but I am on my phone. I have all my plans posted there. I don't think I have a lofting plan only a body plan with 19 bulkheads shown. I am not doing a fully framed but I am putting in beams for the lower middle and upper gun deck as well as fire, quarter, and poop decks. It will be fully planked.