digital calliper

i just got the digital calliper today thot it might come in handy when building ships so i can see i have the right size of wood that i will need to get stuff done   its a model craft one its works real nice for me post-2052-0-81326200-1379220586_thumb.jpg

I wouldnt do without mine now, perfect for measuring the diameter of micro drills.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Hi Dragzz, i have the same type. Just set the "zero" every time you start to measure, else you can have unpredictable result. The same problem is when you don't have battery. The only diference from the clasical one, is that you can read quicker, but the precision is done by the calliper manufacture

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

I started out with a verneer type then dial.  I am happy to use a digital anytime.  It is easier on my eyes and I do not have to strain what is left of my feeble mind to decipher the other two. :D

David B

Edited by dgbot

I have the same model and it's essential.  The digital readout is so much easier than the vernier type.  Just had to sort out some 3.5mm x 1mm walnut strips for my Victory's wales from a slew of 4mm x 1mm strips.  Would have taken forever without the use of this device!

Patrick

I use it all the time too and love it. It's also great for converting back and forth from metric to US.

You should be able to find multi packs of batteries at a craft store and they are much cheaper.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Great tool! Good for transferring dimensions from scale plan to model. Take care of the nice sharp points as they are great for "pricking off" measurements direct to your timber.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

I have one just like that.  Got it at Harbor Frieght for very reasonable.  Great tool.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

I too have found the digital caliper to be extremely useful. I would not do without it for both measuring the actual wood and also for transfer from plans.

For sorting wood I have used a simpler tool. It is a simple plastic ruler (Hobby and Craft Ruler)with cutouts to match the various width and thickness of the plank or sheet. It is made by Midwest products and, as I remember, cost about $10.

I am getting in the habit of double checking each strip before I use it, especially if it is in the batch of partially cut strips. The preset slots make it quick and easy.

Richard T

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

I have two like that and also have a Dial one from SP and also one from "Brown & Shop" never use either one of those ("Swiss Precision Instruments" which I one at a show call "East Tech in Springfield Mass. And it is engrave with my name on it. Never use it), and a couple of others.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

I too went from vernier to dial and now digital. I also use it for precision metalworking. 

However, I must say that these instruments are lifetime investments. You will not be sad if you save up the $100 or so for a quality American or Japanese made (Starrett, Browne and Sharpe, Mitutoyo etc.) calipers.  Others may disagree, but I have several precision instruments purchased by my grandfather that are as good as the day they were made. 

Then you can grind down one of the jaws on your old caliper (Vernier or otherwise) and have a very fine precision scribing gauge in your toolbox. 

I had the same set before my 2 year old put them in the dogs water bowl.

I've just ordered another set. Excellent for all sorts of things.

I previously used mine to get the camber length and shock distance on my RC car kits.

Think they will be perfect for measuring planks

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Ah........the old 'The dog ate my calipers' routine :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I learned this from a machinist at work.  To find out how much you need to remove from one part to make it match another:  Measure the smaller part and set the reading to zero.  Then measure the larger part. The number shown on the caliper will be the difference.  

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thats so simple and clever Bob, Why do I never think of theese things.

I have the same type of caliper, definitly one of the most used tools in the shop. 

I have found that measuring something and then press the inch/mm button does just that, and transfers the measurement between inch and mm which comes i handy for us metric folks using US plans and instructions :10_1_10:

Erik

However, I must say that these instruments are lifetime investments. You will not be sad if you save up the $100 or so for a quality American or Japanese made (Starrett, Browne and Sharpe, Mitutoyo etc.) calipers.  Others may disagree, but I have several precision instruments purchased by my grandfather that are as good as the day they were made. 

When my son was 16 he got an apprenticeship with British Aerospace and I bought him a Mitutoyo caliper - "You'll need one of these son!".

He tells me he's used it nearly every working day since then. He's now 34 and last Christmas I bought him another one with a couple more functions. He still has the first one I bought him. 

I use a vernier caliper but keep thinking about changing to digital. Maybe one day . . . 

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Great for measuring the thicknes of dowels for masts etc. Great tool

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

The cheap one I bought eats batteries whether or not it is turned on.  It was either buy batteries or a better caliper.  

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

I have the same experience with batteries on the cheap model I bought.

Was wondering, does anyone know if Mitutoyo or another quality manufacturer makes a caliper that reads inches, mm, and fractions?

Richard T.

Richard

May as well throw another "love it and use it all the time" into the ring.

Same model from the looks of it.

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

QA,

Thanks for the link.  These seem to be much less than the Matutoyo.  Do you have experience with these and if so, how are they on batteries?

Richard T

Richard

I use my new electric, digital caliper all the time to easily check the multitude of dimensions I have to keep track of. Saves a lot of time and guesswork.

Rich

USS Constitution hipexec

Edited by Hipexec

I know I am a bit old fashioned. I still prefer my watch with a dial. I also prefer to read my dimensions as shown below. I can easily see if the measurement is too high or too low and by how much.

But the upshot is that I could not do without a pair of calipers. I also use them to transfer dimensions (as was noted above).

post-246-0-82728400-1382221136.jpg

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I've seen the digital calipers in a variety of sizes, from 4", 6", 8" and up.  Obviously price goes up considerably as you go bigger.  

I was wondering if a 4" model would work, or is it better to go to the 6" or 8" model?  Thanks!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)