tkay11

An unusual build log for the Cutter Alert

I don't know if this is the right place to post it, but while researching builds of the Cutter Alert, I came across this very interesting build which really is a scratch build, but not quite in the usual way.

It's based on the use of Sketch Up and is really just a CAD build, but it is done as though on site and stage by stage. You can see it at http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=333&t=33757&sid=f942299afdf93114ad1c504acb5c6417. Or, if you want to click, click here.

Sorry if the topic needs to be moved!

Tony

That is an amazing project!  I didn't realize Sketchup was that robust!  i have a 13 year old that enjoys using sketchup - will show him this as an example of what it can do! 

Thanks so much for sharing it!

Wow, didn't think Sketchup could do this. Maybe have a look or two on this tool. Thanks Tony for the post

I found this virtual build during my search for information about the ship. The small cutter stands also on my todo-list. The drawings in the AotS are not very good and need a face lifting.

Tony,

I know SketchUp is a very powerful tool since I use it on regular basis, but this is just mindblowing.

Amazing detailing with the rendering but also the video.

What's next? :bird-vi:

It seems to have taken him from Dec 27 2010 to Feb 25 2011. I find it just as amazing that he can do it in such a short space of time.

Tony

It used to be owned and given free by Google. It was then sold to Trimble who have a two-tier system. There is a free version and a version you have to pay for which has more features. You can find it by searching for 'SketchUp'. Wikipedia has an entry for the programme. If you want a direct link to the download site, click here. I believe most CAD programmes will do the same.

Tony

I know those post in SketchUcation. I am also a member there.
Those two post encouraged me too, to do modelling of ships in SketchUp.
(I don't think I'd like modelling cars :P)
SketchUp is available both in Free and Pro version. Whether when it still owned by Google or by Trimble.

Edited by Irwan

HOW CAN I LEARN TO DO THIS??  I use SketchUp for simple barns and storage buildings.  I wouldn't even know where to start with something of this level.  I had no idea something like this could be done with SketchUp.  Where can I find out about the method used for this extraordinary model?