San Martin by Pfälzer - OcCre - 1:90

Your planking is looking really nice and clean. Well done.

Ian

And another night with little sleep, good morning .
As you can see from the pictures above, the experimentation continues. Firstly, I don't really want any chemicals on my boat and secondly, my admiralty is panicking that this build will end just as quickly as the last ones. Which would mean that I would have to spend money on a new kit again.
There are no brass etched parts in this kit except for the rudder hinges. Fortunately we are saving everything, so I still have some left over from the Esmeralda to build the gun mounts.
So I did a little research and found some ways of aging brass with home remedies.
The thing with the zinc and red wine also worked, and it also works with white wine (Kerner Spätlese from the Einselthumer Klosterstück).
Here I have now tested the vinegar vaporization variant. To do this, you take an airtight container half filled with vinegar, in this case a good Melfor.
Place an elevation in it on which you place the goods to be treated.
The resulting vapors will then color the brass within a day as you can see above.
A trial with salt and water is currently underway, the results will follow in a few days. 

Have a nice day

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Lady Nelson-Victory-Modelle 

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Thank you very much for your praise.
But actually, I don't think it's such a big deal.
Somewhere here in the forum someone had a problem with bending Birnbaum. The lovely Chris Watton, whose kit it was, advised him to just lovingly shape the tree with finger warmth.
What can I say, it works with oak too, especially if you've grown up among oak trees.
I only use good old Ponal (white glue) for this. In contrast to superglue, you can still slip this for some time. 
Then everything is fixed with self-made wooden clamps every two to five centimeters. Screw clamps are used where this is not enough.
The only trick is not to use too much of the glue, spread 3/4 of the strip width with a wet bristle brush.
If any glue leaks out after clamping, wipe it away with a mini spatula.
Once the glue has hardened, use the same to smooth the edges again and clean them with a brush.
Then an hour has passed and it's time for the next one.
By the way, I taper from the first point of the fuselage bend by a quarter of the moldings' width towards the bow, and so far I see

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

The stain job looks great  I like it, nicely done.!!   :cheers:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Before more people get it wrong. The slats are currently almost in natural color. The only thing that has darkened them so far is skin grease and sweat from planking.
I actually really like this color and would like to keep it that way.
But unfortunately all the support boards are still to be added on the outside, and these are made of very dark walnut. So as soon as I've finished the starboard side, I'll stain the whole thing even darker so that the difference in color isn't too pronounced.

Greetings

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Wow, I thought it had a coat of stain, I really like that color,  can't wait to see what it  looks like with some finish on it. Great work.   :cheers:

Bob. M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Hello lovelies,
take a closer look at the photos above. The old scatterbrain made a mistake here.
The first strip on the starboard side was easy to lay. With the fourth, I thought it would lay worse than the port side, but didn't think much of it. Then the big surprise after the fifth. I landed on the bow at the point where I had only landed on the port side with seven battens.
The first problem was that I needed almost an hour to attach each strip to the hull, so the first four were of course bombproof.
The second, more serious problem was that I used waterproof white glue. Soaking and peeling is not an option.
In my opinion, sanding the whole thing down and redoing it would be just as counterproductive. So it stays as it is. I'm still a beginner in experimental mode, and no master has yet fallen from the sky. I'll be able to live with it and learn from it.

Best regards

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Eh we all make mistakes. It's all part if the learning curve. The other option is to carefully remove the planks with a very sharp knife. Heat might help.  If you can cut underneath it to loosen it some, you might be able to pry the wood off.....

Or just leave it and keep going. 🙂

Mikki

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Working on: Dusek's San Martin

Completed: Good ol' first ship build- Constructo's Albatross; Mamoli's HMS Bounty; Mamoli's Golden Hinde; Amati's Drakkar; Occre's Revenge; Artesania Latina's San Fran

Hello lovelies,
As you can see, I have decided to continue planking despite the error. Two strips later, frustration set in because the tension wouldn't go away.
So I put the stuff in the corner and sulked for two days.
Well, in the end everything went well. But I now see the whole thing in a positive light. Because I was able to learn how to get the tension out by rejuvenating a few strips. Above all, to find the point from where and how much to taper.

And also good news. I bought a Victory from Corel in the bay for an apple and an egg.

Greetings

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

The hull is now planked, sanded with 600-grit paper and the first coat of stain applied.
This is now allowed to soak in, then it is sanded again with 1000-grit paper and a second coat of stain is applied.
This is because the stain causes the grain of the oak to puff up and the whole hull has just become very rough.
I hope that the second sanding and staining will give it a nice vintage look, which will then just need to be waxed and polished.

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Hello everyone,
As you can see, I've been busy working on the bow the last few days. Since I have planked with 1mm oak instead of 0.6 Sapelli, a lot of adjustment work is necessary. 
I haven't shaped the hull as round as it should be, which makes the whole thing even more complicated, but you have time.
I also built two pure work stands. A third one to put the ship on the side will follow in the next few days.
Greetings

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985

Hello lovelies,
We continue to work on the bow and stern, without any noteworthy incidents. The stand for laying on the side is also finished. 
The side rails are planned next.
But it will take a while as we have a party going on in the village. Five days of exceptional conditions at the navel of the world.
There's a little brother who urgently needs help.
Skooooooooooool

Funktionierender Build:

San Martin - 
Occre

Endender-Build:

Cala Esmeralda - Occre

Gorch Fock-Graupner 1985