Should I build the Pride of Baltimore or Armed Virginia Sloop next

I'm looking to start my next build; you can see from below what I have built to date.  I'm not sure what to build next, the Pride of Baltimore or the Amed Virginia Sloop.  Which would be the simplest one to build, so I can continue to build my skills?  Recommendations between these two?

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Hello SkiBee,

I haven't built either of these, though they do look to be of similar difficulty levels. The logical progression might be to build the AVS, as you'll have a bit less rigging to deal with. But, I personally have a soft spot for Baltimore Clippers, so that would probably be my choice. You must be drawn towards one more than the other. I would suggest going with that.

Then again, you might branch out and take on something from a different manufacturer. The ship modeling world (Model Ship World?) is your oyster!

2 hours ago, SkiBee said:

I'm looking to start my next build; you can see from below what I have built to date.  I'm not sure what to build next, the Pride of Baltimore or the Amed Virginia Sloop.  Which would be the simplest one to build, so I can continue to build my skills?  Recommendations between these two?

From everything I have seen in following you since I first started this hobby and caught you in some of your posts, your "building skills" are just fine, SkiBee!  Whatever you do will be great, and I will continue to follow!  The Pride of Baltimore has always intrigued me.  It's an awesome ship.  👍

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                             Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin     Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways 

14 hours ago, CiscoH said:

i’m currently building the AVS - its my second build and i have found it challenging yet rewarding.  my build log might help you decide

Cisco, I've been following your AVS build log since the beginning, great log and great work, thanks.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

A third alternative might be Vanguard's Baltimore Privateer. His kits are very well designed with the builder in mind. While a little more expensive, at ~320 British pounds, it is a beautiful model!

You also should consider whether you want to model a period or modern ship. I spent a long time in Baltimore, and love both the original Pride, and the Pride II, but the Pride II is a representation of a Baltimore clipper, not a reproduction of one. Reasonably, they had to make changes to build a modernized version that falls in with current safety regulations after the original sank, and this changed her from a reproduction to a close representation. I have a kit for the Pride II, but would build the Vanguard model first, if I wanted a model of a period Baltimore clipper.

James H has a build log on his building of the prototype of the Vanguard model, check it out.