HMS Greyhound by Harlequin - FINISHED - Corel - wood

Nice job.  That's a lot of ratlines!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just sitting here smiling!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Harlequin:

I'm excited to see the degree to which you've triumphed over this kit! It gives me hope for the future. The rigging looks great and the build is really coming alive! It is a beautiful ship once she's all dressed up....following with an envious eye to the future....

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hamilton I'm equally looking forward to seeing your kit of greyhound progress especially with the planned improvements. The rigging is proving to be as awkward as the rest of the kit but I would have been disappointed if it were not. There will be several (loads) of inaccuracies with the rigging on my kit but I am using my completed corel kit HMS Victory as a guide and can live with the mistakes I have made. I am a builder who is not overly concerned if my build includes historical inaccuracies. She is now coming alive as you say, in fact I too am beginning to smile as I look at her. I am sure you will improve on my build and as you progress if I can help I will. With the rigging you will undoubtedly do it different to mine. You will notice in the greyhound instructions that the book differs from the sheet plans which differs from the picture on the box. Confused you will be, but your pre-planning regarding the belaying will prove invaluable. When all is done and dusted Greyhound looks beautiful and you will have bad moments and good moment but will end up with a model you will be glad you have completed.  

Nice use of the old multiple-background approach, Harlequin.  She looks good!

I empathize with your trying to find the right setting.  I've just about given up on getting detailed shots on the running rigging.  But we'll keep trying!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I'm with Augie on this - in the past I've often given up updating my build log when it comes to the rigging simply because I can't seem to get decent shots! I'll have to try this technique - it's looking great.

By the way - I notice that you've got black standing rigging, though Corel only supplies hemp line....did you dye their line or did you replace it? If you replaced it, what did you use? I ended up ordering some of the usual Model Expo rigging line - not the best looking but easy to work with...I think that when I build the Bellona I'll order Morope to replace Corel's line - though I do like the Corel rigging line......

Anyway, looks like you're almost there! Looking great!

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Hi Hamilton, regarding the rigging colour. I purchased caldercraft black rigging instead of dyeing the corel line. It is a great rigging line the only drawback is that the caldercraft line doesnt take up PVA very well. I use a super glue first on the knots then a very dilute PVA mix afterwards to take away the shine the superglue leaves.  Just the main mast yards to go now along with finishing the ships boat, the anchors and flags and she will be there. I havent done anything else yet on Bellona because if i get started on that I know I will neglect the rigging on Greyhound. A good week should get me there. Also the belaying pins with Greyhound aren't the best, you may wish to replace those, but most of them are covered with rigging anyway so they have done the job ok. I look back now on Greyhound with a mix of frustration and pleasure and also wish i'd added extra colour to the gun ports but that was the decission I made at the time. She is looking great and I would recomend this kit to anyone despite all the faults. I have grown to love the little devil and actually the sense of achievement at overcoming the faults in this kit is great. I look forward to your continued success in your Greyhound build.    

Edited by harlequin

If you ever need to get rid of the shine from that CA 'superglue' try some Dullcoat flat lacquer.  There are several brands out there.  I use Model Master by Testors, available in most hobby shops.  Comes in handy (trust me).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Harlequin: I must have missed the update! Thanks for the info on the rigging line - I purchased some black rigging thread in appropriate sizes from model expo, though their line (vinyl) is not the best. Anyway, your rigging looks great - it really brings the model to life - can't wait to see some shots of the completed ship. As a suggestion - try taking a few photos outside if you get a nice blue-sky day - good for picking up details.

Bye for now hamilton

Edited by hamilton

finished ships boat. Hi Hamilton..this is the supplied ships boat with a little modification. I.ve added some oars by amati and I don't think it looks too bad.Very near completion now, next couple of days will see it home IF I decide to use the supplied flag set. I may change those.

post-90-0-41088700-1367445193_thumb.jpg

Ships boat looks very nice.  The finish complements the overall look.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Harlequin:

Very impressive job on the ship's boat! Especially considering that I know what you have to start with - that weird little metal thing...Given the scale issues you were dealing with on the pof boats you tried, I may also end up reverting to the kit-supplied one.....Anyway - excellent work! It's amazing what you've done with this highly challenging kit

hamilton

Blue sky in England Hamilton is a rare thing....but I will do that if ever summer arrives. :cheers:

In that case, Harlequin, you would feel right at home in Vancouver! We have a mini summer going on right now, but our rainy grey winter will return in May and stay through June.....here's to the promise of some kind of summer eventually

hamilton

Congratulations Harlequin!! You made it (literally and figuratively). I'm sure you've already had your celebratory libation, but please have another for me! I'll celebrate for you once we reach a more civilised hour in my part of the world. Looking forward to seeing the pictures - and of course to some more progress on the Bellona!! 

hamilton

When I read the word 'completed' in your post I fell right off my chair.  Given the nature of our hobby, you don't see that every day.  Looking forward to the photos  :)  :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Well she is completed. A very frustrating but ultimately rewarding HMS Greyhound. So many times she nearly ended up getting launched against the nearest wall, but retaining enough charm to prevent me from doing so. I'll post some more pics soon in a more attractive surrounding. I must say she looks great. Lots of historical inaccuracies and some of the running rigging belayed in odd places but when all is said and done she doesn't look too bad.  

post-90-0-92002500-1367574110_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-55104600-1367574149_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-18084900-1367574214_thumb.jpg

post-90-0-69180000-1367574388_thumb.jpg

Congratulations!  And I'm glad to hear you admit that 'she looks great'.....beause she does.  Well done, mate.

Thank you for sharing your fine build with us.  Please be sure to get her posted on the Completed Ship Gallery.

Do you have thoughts on your next voyage?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great Harlequin! If mine looks half that good I'll be well pleased. As for launching it against the wall - hahaha!! I have a miniature sledge hammer that I keep on the modelling table as I build, just in case....I've had it raised a couple of times and stopped myself at the last minute.....Anyway, great work - seeing her next to the Victory is really gratifying - must be even more so for you! Think of how it will look with the Bellona moored next to them!

hamilton