Speedwell by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - FINISHED - Ketch Rigged Sloop, 1752

Greg your work is so sharp and clean, the stove looks great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Very nice, Greg. It is a clever idea to stain the wale before installation, because that shoe dye does like to flow into places you don't want it if you don't score enough of a line at the junction. But how did it work with fasteners? Did you re-stain once the trennails were in place and trimmed?

Mark

Looking good!

Maury

Hi Greg,

Oh that is soooooo nice. I can appreciate your not wanting to cover those timbers.

That is some fine workmanship. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks for all your comments!

Remco - There's no need to fix Fiebing's dye. It covers and penetrates beautifully and buffs to a nice finish. As a matter of fact, they recommend applying it to  wet leather.

Learner - I adapted my stove from Lavery's Arming and Fitting... It depicts an iron firehearth contemporary to Speedwell. Brodie stoves appeared decades later, c.1780. Here are a couple photos of the strove during construction. All brass parts were constructed over shaped plugs of holly and glued with J&B Weldbond. This creates a very strong bond and fills the joints which can then be sanded. The finish is automotive gray primer followed by automotive black.

post-505-0-39703700-1385431741_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-23067300-1385431760_thumb.jpg

Mark - trunnels are drilled and applied after the wales are in place. They are easily touched up using the dye on a q-tip. Kind of a wasted exercise though as they become invisible.

Speedwell is a nice little project at 1:48. She'll fit easily on my one remaining shelf.

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg,

I hope the plan is still to offer a full set of plans.  She's lovely.

Maury

Hmm thanks Greg, I checked the container I'm using, its Fiebings edge enamel  :blush: I think I should have paid better attention when I picked that up from the equestrian shop. This stuff does a poor job penetrating the wood and after it dries its still soluble in water. I'm not sure what part of the horse ('s equipement) this is any good for... Or it's over bbe date... Anyway I'll look for the leather dye version next time.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

• 1 month later...

Gary and Greg,

You both might want to check your message storage.  It's possible that your inboxes are full.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 months later...

Thanks for your interest Ben. As you'll find out, building a fully framed model is very intense and I found myself needing a bit of a break after finishing her framing. Workshops, Echo cross-section and mentoring have kept me pretty busy though and I'll surely get back to her in the near future. 

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your comments!

Remco - There's no need to fix Fiebing's dye. It covers and penetrates beautifully and buffs to a nice finish. As a matter of fact, they recommend applying it to  wet leather.

Learner - I adapted my stove from Lavery's Arming and Fitting... It depicts an iron firehearth contemporary to Speedwell. Brodie stoves appeared decades later, c.1780. Here are a couple photos of the strove during construction. All brass parts were constructed over shaped plugs of holly and glued with J&B Weldbond. This creates a very strong bond and fills the joints which can then be sanded. The finish is automotive gray primer followed by automotive black.

attachicon.gifDSCN4525.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4530.jpg

Mark - trunnels are drilled and applied after the wales are in place. They are easily touched up using the dye on a q-tip. Kind of a wasted exercise though as they become invisible.

Speedwell is a nice little project at 1:48. She'll fit easily on my one remaining shelf.

Thanks Greg,

I will have to look up and put in my notes, I do have the book in my Library.

On the Brodie stove there is a good drawing of it in AOS Brian White's "The Frigate Diana" with an internal drawing. whats missing is the top view.

Guy

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

Hi Greg, Amazing work, very clean the framing looks fantastic

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 5 months later...

Greg,

After seeing this ship close up at your recent sail-making workshop with David Antscherl, it was fun to re-read the build log and see it underway. It is even more impressive in real life than the photos, which are already fantastic!

Mark

• 11 months later...

Been awhile since my last Speedwell update. Work on the forecastle has finished, for the most part. Caulking is black paper. It's a bit more work but a little cleaner than when I use a pencil. The wrought iron belfry is unusual but present on the contemporary model. I twisted 1/32" square brass bar stock with one end in a stationary vice and the other end in a pin vice. Consistent upward pressure while twisting insures an even result.

post-505-0-31598000-1448487418_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-79617000-1448487418_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-98963700-1448487474_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Nicely done...You have been busy!!!   Great to see an update.   Have a great Thanksgiving Greg  :)

Fantastic work Greg, I wish I could attend your workshops.  If and when I get mine back in order I would love to use your techniques.

David B

Fantastic belfry, Greg.  The rest is just as wonderful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fantastic work Greg, very fine detail well executed.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)