Speedwell by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - FINISHED - Ketch Rigged Sloop, 1752

That sure looks great Greg. Do you have a picture of the finished stove, it would be a pity if we couldn't admire the result.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

beautiful work Greg,

very clean and accurate build, Looks great.

Just a question : I noticed that on your plan (earlier Posts) the forecastle companionway opens to the aft side, also shown on your last pics, how is the Access to this side ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Beautiful.  More inspiration!!!
Maury

Small and relatively tidy ships often turn out to be the subject of the most beautiful models.  You are proving that with your build.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thanks or the many comments and likes.

Nils - The forecastle ventilation scoop on the starboard side is the access to the fore platform. There is a small ladder in place. I imagine the scoop was removable for easier access to the platform. The forecastle also has a small access grating to load coal. Note that on the port side of the fore platform has a small scuttle or "coal hole" in load it into the hold.

Remco - shockingly, I seem to have forgotten to photograph the completed galley stove prior to installation. I didn't overdo it as it will only be visible through some omitted planks on the forecastle.

post-505-0-47493700-1448556301_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-66424800-1448556314_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Greg,

aha, is understood, removeable Ventilation Scoop, that`s good, makes sense, as shown is for exhaust, turn opening to front for fresh air, thanks for explaining

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Really nice and precise progress

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Nice, neat modelling -as your usual standard. What size are the loops to control the valves of the faucets on your stove? Fantastic scale!! Nice shot locker in the background, also!

Great job. Happy Thanksgiving!

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48

Beautiful workmanship Greg, great to see the progress.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Fantastic to see you back at Speedwell.  Do you know if that twisted iron is typical for the class or specific to Speedwell?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Fantastic to see you back at Speedwell.  Do you know if that twisted iron is typical for the class or specific to Speedwell?

I've not seen it before on any model, Tony. The width and shape of the belfry match the Navy Board plans but one can't discern if it is twisted iron or not. The model is contemporary so I would assume the detail is accurate.

Nice, neat modelling -as your usual standard. What size are the loops to control the valves of the faucets on your stove? Fantastic scale!! Nice shot locker in the background, also!

Great job. Happy Thanksgiving!

I form very small loops with a jewelers round nosed pliers such as this http://www.all-spec.com/products/RX7590/image.viewer. You can form loops less than 1mm with these.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I see that it has been awhile since my last Speedwell update. Here are some current photos. David Antscherl (of Greenwich barge fame) and I are currently working with SeaWatch books on a book featuring her construction in both plank on frame and plank on bulkhead versions. She's a sweet little vessel and will be fully rigged. At 1:48 scale she won't take up a lot of space in my study.

The fore platform with the boatswain's cabin and sail room. There is a properly tagged and stowed sail on the lower sail rack but it is no longer visible.

post-505-0-71503100-1461466777_thumb.jpg

The well sitting beneath the main mast partner with it's two octagonal pump openings. there is a small cleanout door at the bottom of the well.

post-505-0-08694000-1461466778_thumb.jpg

I made a jig to shape the round-ups of the various deck elements. Basically, I have connected several properly shaped deck beams (laser cut by Chuck) with planks on the convex and concave surfaces. I then affixed 150 grit garnet paper with rubber cement. Adding the round-up is then a simple matter of moving the piece up and down the paper. i use a small plank to keep the pull straight. You know when you are done as the dust spreads entirely across the paper above and below and the bottom of your thumb is raw.

post-505-0-57638700-1461466778_thumb.jpgpost-505-0-10728800-1461466779_thumb.jpgpost-505-0-58411900-1461466779_thumb.jpg

The upper deck back to the aft platform has been framed. It is a fairly tedious job adding each new beam with it's lodging knees, hanging knees, carlings, ledges and bolts. Depending on the amount of deck planking one plans to add, some of these elements could be omitted. I plan on adding very little deck planking so most of it will be visible.

post-505-0-06726500-1461466780_thumb.jpg

In the final photo, the capstan upper and lower partners have been added. Speedwell's capstan is a bit curious as it is designed to be raised and lowered. It seats on a removable spindle cup on the lower partner. Neither David and I have any idea why it was designed this way.

post-505-0-58668700-1461466780_thumb.jpg

That's it for now. Next will be the framing of the aft platform and quarterdeck.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautiful work, Greg.   That capstan is an interesting detail.  Another one of life's mysteries....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

love that ship Greg,

a beautiful built vessel

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Beautiful detail and great craftsmanship Greg. 

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Really clever little jig. Thanks for sharing

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

It's looking fantastic Greg...You have been making a lot of progress.   Good to see updates again.   How about an overall shot of the hull. I would love to see her lines and sheer?

Chuck

Great news, looking forward for the book! Hope it will come with the plans? ;)

Yes, Mike, we plan to include both plank on frame and plank on bulkhead plans for Speedwell. In addition, we are working on supplying the figurehead and carvings for this vessel as well as the three pounder cannons.

Thanks for all the likes!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

hi Greg

Sorry I only just found this log and have just read up to date, lovely work you are doing

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁