Speedwell by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - FINISHED - Ketch Rigged Sloop, 1752

Greg,

How is it that I am just seeing this log for the first time...?!  There are so many good logs, its hard to focus at times.  That being said, marvelous work.  I love the toptimber details and the challenges they create.  My next ship was going to be Pegasus, but now it might be Speedwell...  That being said, I have a few years left on Naiad.  Again, I love the workmanship, not to mention the illustrations, overal presentation, subject matter and scale.

Best, Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a small update on Speedwell. Her main deck has been completely framed with beams, carlings, ledges hanging and lodging knees.That was rather routine but boring work which occupied me for a few months. As a change of pace I made most of the deck fittings but none are permanently affixed as yet. Currently, I am working on the capstan and have just finished the tapered barrel.

Just a tip for you novices regarding gratings. Ideally they should have full courses all around (see photos). It is easier to cut your gratings to the the size that accomplishes this first. Then build your coamings around them. If the result is a gratings assembly that is a hair larger or smaller than the plan so be it.

post-505-0-22960000-1466886007.jpg

post-505-0-59459700-1466886007.jpg

post-505-0-02484400-1466886008.jpg

post-505-0-54143100-1466886008.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautiful joinery Greg, that is another very fine model in the making.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Really wonderful pictures of a great model

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

agree with the fellow modelers Greg,

Wunderbar !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nice clean and neat.  I have always had problems with getting my joinery like that.  Wonderful workmanship

David B

The recent post on using a mill inspired me to post this report of my just-finished capstan. I used both the Sherline mill and lathe for the several steps required.

The square mortises for the capstan bars were added using a .079" milling bit and the rotary table. The top and bottom sections were milled to 1/2 of their 3 3/4" depth.

post-505-0-30907300-1468031364.jpg

Following the milling procedure the two halves were glued together.

post-505-0-88281200-1468031364.jpg

Once dry, the capstan drumhead was turned to it's final diameter on the lathe. The whelps were also milled  in one long strip and sliced off on the table saw. The mortises for the chocks were added on the table saw.

post-505-0-30566300-1468031365.jpg

The capstan barrel was turned on the lathe and separated just below the taper.  Each end was center drilled then drilled to receive a brass pin.The slots for the whelps were added with a .090" end mill on the rotary table at sixty degree intervals.

post-505-0-83870400-1468031365.jpg

The 3/4" bolt holes (#80 drill bit) for the capstan retaining bar pins and the cap piece were added with the drumhead again mounted in the rotary table.

post-505-0-32083900-1468031366.jpg

Further holes were drilled for the whelp bolts in the drumhead and the chocks are being fitted.

post-505-0-79373200-1468031366.jpg

The finished capstan (sans pawls).

post-505-0-28707500-1468031367.jpg

post-505-0-79157400-1468031367.jpg

The carnage to my workshop bench for which I spent the evening tidying up.

post-505-0-33926600-1468031368.jpg

Apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to demonstrate how the fabrication of this complex piece could be accomplished by breaking it down to a series of small steps. For those without a mill or a lathe, I believe Chuck could easily make a kit of this by providing the drumhead in three slices. The rest would be straight forward with only shaping of the barrel (similar to Chuck's hexagonal pump) being required.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautiful work on the captain. I am envious of your workbench. All I have is the kitchen table.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Greg, I've heard a rumor that Chuck has a capstan in the planning stages.  Similar in construction to the windlass.  Can't wait.

Maury

Thanks for showing the progress. That will  be very helpful

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Great presentation on what could be a fun project on its own.  I can see something in the lines of a 1/12 scale or larger for a nice desk display piece.

Beautiful work Greg

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

It was pointed out to me by the ever-observant Druxey that the lower chocks of my capstan were incorrectly shaped. The should indeed be concave. I was misled by some contemporary sources. After a short alcohol soak and they were removed and replaced with the proper shaped chocks. Also, a photo of my now pristine workshop (after an entire evening of cleaning). My new mantra - replace tools right after using them....(at least for a day or so). 

Thanks for all the like. David Antscherl is doing his part for the publication of the Speedwell book. I just need to catch up

post-505-0-82545700-1468172036_thumb.jpg

post-505-0-53717900-1468172053_thumb.jpg

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Greg,

I love the last photo showing the Speedwell sitting on your shop workbench.  In no subtle way we are reminded just how small a ship Speedwell was.  Even at 1:48 scale it is not a very big model.  All your previous pictures lead you believe it is larger.  This might be a great subject for those interested in constructing a 1:32 scale model.  When the book and plans are released it would be nice to have that scale available for purchase too. ;-)  Just something to consider.

Tom

Tom, a rigged Speedwell is the perfect size for the last remaining space in my study. The shifted and cast toptimbers were definitely a challenge, even at 1:48 scale. She would be a very manageable model at a larger scale though. I prefer to build my armada to the same 1:48 scale in case a war breaks out in my study when I'm not home. That way the larger scale ship will not have a tactical advantage.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752