dvm27

Speedwell by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - Ketch Rigged Sloop, 1752

Tom, a rigged Speedwell is the perfect size for the last remaining space in my study. The shifted and cast toptimbers were definitely a challenge, even at 1:48 scale. She would be a very manageable model at a larger scale though. I prefer to build my armada to the same 1:48 scale in case a war breaks out in my study when I'm not home. That way the larger scale ship will not have a tactical advantage.

Toni, I am looking forward to rigging her. The only other ship I've rigged is Hannah. As a ketch rigged sloop, she's a relatively simple model to rig. I'm attaching a photo of the Speedwell model David and I have based our model on.  I find her to be a simple, yet elegant ship. Photo courtesy of the National Maritime Museum.

post-505-0-31402400-1468369675_thumb.jpg

Hi Greg,

I just found this build log - sorry, but I've been away from modelling for a while :( . She's looking superb :) .

BTW - I thought you said you were "over" fully-framed hulls after completing Pegasus? Good to see you're not :D

:cheers:  Danny

On 4/29/2017 at 8:18 PM, Dan Vad said:

Hi Greg,

I just found this build log - sorry, but I've been away from modelling for a while :( . She's looking superb :) .

BTW - I thought you said you were "over" fully-framed hulls after completing Pegasus? Good to see you're not :D

:cheers:  Danny

Yes, Danny, I did say that. And I really mean it after this model is completed!

Your stagecoach is awesome. Glad you're back.

Speedwell has a beautiful quarterdeck bulkhead (see NMM photo above) which I'm working on now. The arched door and molded frame has taken me almost two weeks to reach this point.

Thanks for those who have commented. David and I are hoping to get the first volume of our Speedwell book into print this year (late, very late). It will give three options for building - plank on frame, plank on bulkhead and lift method. Volume two will cover masting and rigging.

DSCN6910.JPG.7b451e9f787b4d2afa4fc02505ed22a1.JPG

As many of my favorite modelers are posting updates this weekend I thought I'd share some recent progress on Speedwell. She is now sporting her copper cupola (say that three times quickly!) which arches over the steps to the "Great Cabin". I use that term in quotes because, after the lockers are installed, there is little room for the commanding Lieutenant. But this little vessel was designed for shore duty and was seldom used for sleeping. The cupola was shaped from a square of holly, hollowed out then spray painted with a hammered copper finish followed by matte varnish.

The rudderhead cover was also shaped from a holly plug which was then hollowed out. The panels were added to each side. Each one was a different dimension and all are hand fitted.

A little more work on the inside and outside of the hull and Speedwell, Volume I, will be off to the press!

• a.jpg.99442bc10e457491bbc112b09e682458.jpgc.jpg.35878049940d17b1a1fa5dcb24780b69.jpgb.jpg.773cdf05c4a5f0d0f2253a15a06d8e8d.jpgd.jpg.8e2a62cc40a0b02450c07ca1ae85267b.jpg
  •