Speedwell by dvm27 (Greg Herbert) - FINISHED - Ketch Rigged Sloop, 1752

Are you sure that this isn't a 3D cgd? it's SO good.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

• 1 month later...

So it's been on to masting and sparring while David has been working on the carvings. With the completion of the masting and sparring we will have finished Volume Two of our Speedwell series and hopefully Sea Watch can get it to press in the near future. Fulling rigging plans are to be included in Volume Two as well. The masts and spars are of boxwood with the black portions ebonized with Fiebings dye.

By the way, the mast tops were laser cut by Chuck (Syren Ship Models) based on our plans and I believe they came out very well. I'm sure Chuck will offer this technique for other ships or products as it greatly simplifies construction of these complex pieces.

mast1.thumb.jpg.f9d6fbbd5fe179a6125c4c33abe6fe60.jpgmast2.thumb.jpg.aba00c4da0cd04bdd5421064bc9b2120.jpgmast3.thumb.jpg.543637c6c82bfff5cc19fec413a71537.jpgmast4.thumb.jpg.1e601bb0993b7c71e70c2d0368a4c43a.jpgmast5.thumb.jpg.31c998add7f3be830a4e0048559354ea.jpgmast6.thumb.jpg.01c81fab9e56aabd20d4e464a56486af.jpgmast7.thumb.jpg.31844584e2e0ab8c7ccd09ff22cf0c33.jpgmast8.thumb.jpg.c77f3e5ddd785cb117ce5a4237c16d35.jpg

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Very nice work on the masts Greg.  Beautiful clean wood cuts with nice sharp edges - and everything fits together just so.  Sweet.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 1 month later...

Greg, the masting looks terrific. Well done!

I see you used the Fiebings shoe dye for the black parts. How did you stop it from leeching into the bright work parts of the masts, where the black and the natural were all the same piece of wood?

Best wishes,

Mark

Great question, Mark! The answer is that I either cut a very deep score at a transition under another fitting (for example within the mast caps) or did not dye some items like the bibs that should have been.  I found that even with deep scoring and tape some of the Fiebings dye invariably wicked up the boxwood on the other side. But those bibs and other items are now properly blackened courtesy of my writing partner (David Antscherl). The trestle trees were all dyed off the model.

Now I just need the US/Canadian border to reopen so I can retrieve Speedwell and get to rigging! BTW Volume Two of our Speedwell book is now at the printers and should be released soon.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

14 minutes ago, dvm27 said:

BTW Volume Two of our Speedwell book is now at the printers and should be released soon.

I got Volume 1 for my 63rd birthday. Now I know what I want for my 64th.

Richard

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Very good news. I am in possession of the magnificent volume 1 and I look forward to the second part.

The Speedwell is really a great project.

Jean-Paul

'You are not carving a bear with a chain saw here folks',

Chuck Passaro, ´Queen Anne Style Barge´ manual of instructions

Current builds :

Finished build :

Next on list :

• Santa Maria boat - Korabel (Ukraine) - 1:24

Hi Greg! The mast and tops look great, onward and upward! Do you plan on bring her to the conference next year at the VCMM?

I keep forgetting they changed the name when they moved the Museum, its Channel islands MM. 

Cheers, Guy
The Learner
Current Member NRG,SMA

Current Build: HMS Triton 1:48 on line

• 10 months later...

It's been almost a year since my last update. The reason is that Speedwell has been landlocked in Canada since last November. My very talented collaborator David Antscherl had made and applied all the carvings and I was going to pick her up to rig her just when Covid struck and the border was closed. I have all the blocks, ropes, masts and spars ready but no model. I'm hoping to get her this summer but who knows at this point. At any rate here are some photos of her sporting her wonderful carvings. S1.thumb.jpg.0e29dfb1bc2b75c482e05e8264b7ca48.jpgS3.thumb.jpg.ed9b2db976f7ad215dce76b81ee4e09d.jpgS4.thumb.jpg.b375708096a6fe1002ca200589e2f09f.jpgS5.thumb.jpg.d622cb8c59922f9fd42e0120c567e68a.jpgS6.thumb.jpg.6e3bd6d35ed0a77225842de9e9306cb7.jpgS8.jpg.638c676aeb6e35ea3b2583aa0efb153f.jpg

S2.jpg

Edited by dvm27

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Impressive to say the least, the workmanship is absolutely beautiful. 

Wow, incredible carvings Greg. Truly masterful. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

Who wouldn't want a collaborator like David, just Wow! 🙂 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Thanks for all the kind comments.

HH - the transom planking is indeed let into the aft fashion piece. The side planking is also let into the fore end of the this fashion piece. Needless to say it is a beast to make with two rebates and rolling bevels! But when done this way the end grain of the transom and side planks are both protected from seawater. Some contemporary models show it done this way and some don't but the NMM model we based this on did.

BE - that is indeed a pisdale which seems a bit unusual but is a feature of the contemporary model. It has a molded feature that is a continuation of the molding of the inner planking.

Wintergreen - I'm sure David would love to collaborate with every single member of this forum...when his plate is empty (estimate 2032).

Trussben - haven't rigged a model in 25 years so looking forward to that. I'm studying the work of Archjofo and hope to emulate his work.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

Finished build

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I can't add to what's been said for example another "wow".  Beautiful work well beyond most of us mere mortals.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wonderful.

This is on my retirement build list (a very short list). 

I have the books, I have the cannons, now all I need is the skill. Fortunately, I also have the peace of mind that not reaching this level is ok.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

Wow!  No other words are necessary.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Lovey work, and another successful collaboration between you both.  Another very fine model in the making!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Great work, both of you.

The workmanship of the hull is crisp and pristine, the carvings beautiful and stylish.

Thanks for posting again and letting us share your success.

Looking forward to the rigging journey.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Many Happy Returns

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...