H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:24 by Tim

Mark and Russ

"""It went flying across the room???""" No No No,,, Everything was totally under control. Still have 8 fingers and two thumbs and nothing went flying. After doing the cuts and seeing the results I hid the good wood, the ParMarfin on the other side of the room not letting it get near the saw after I saw the results from the popular and basswood. Had several burn marks and was not of equal thickness over the length on any of the test samples. Why?? I've been using the saw to much during the building of my house, where a few thousands here or there or a burn mark on the wood did not matter. Now it does so I'll be double checking the fence and the clamping handle and getting a new saw blade. Shop Fox fence on a Grizzy 10 inch. My saw that I bought over 6 years ago.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3-HP-220V-Cabinet-Left-Tilting-Table-Saw/G1023RLX

Also thinking about ordering another Forrest blade for it. One of my opps today was using a too fine a blade for ripping. Should have used a blade with less teeth. Also one that I've not been using to cut anything and everything which was a cheap saw blade to begin with. After all I was ripping popular and basswood 8/4 length 24 inch down to 3/8 x 24. Not a simple cross cut or thin rip, this was a 2 inch rip through a harder wood.

Change blade and work on the fence and all should be fine. Can't wait to start using those great plans from this site.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Rocker:

I see. It is still a good idea to do some tuning, though. Make sure the blade is at 90 degrees, make sure the fence is parallel, maybe wax the table, etc. A good hollow ground blade should do nicely. :)

Russ

Ah... nevermind then.. do what Russ said and carry on.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Russ

I sure agree with you. Waxed the table before I started and after using it also, it's Fla, rust grows quick around here. Blade is at 90 degrees and fence Is what I'll be working on next. I try for a parallel fence, I know some folks like to open up a slight amount but I'm not one of those folks. Really think that ripping through 2 inch thick hardwood with an 80 tooth cheap blade that's well used could have been a major part of it. Also going to be looking at the fence locking handle. I really like the type of fence that locks at both ends on the table, but that's not what I have so I'll work with this one the best that I can.

Have a plan just need the time to do it. Maybe if I skip work tomorrow?? No, bills to be paid. about 3 more years then part time then a few years later maybe full time on my hobbies. To dream away.

Later 42rocker

If the blade is still sharp, and it might not be considering what you've used it on, I've found that wipe over the blade and teeth with some acetone followed by some Pledge helps.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark

Wiped it down with mineral spirits several times and slowly scrapped each tooth clean of all wood build up before I started the test cuts. Did not spray it down with pledge, might try that next. Found one broken carbide tooth, rest looked good.

The couple of planks that I did cut, came out ok enough for house building work, just over the 24 inch length the thickness varies 5 to 8 thousands and have some light burn marks in a couple of areas. Just not what I'm used to seeing in my work. For this project I want better.

Later 42rocker

ok.. sounds like new blade time.. :)   One quick thought.. is there any blade wobble?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Better update, stopped by the home depot on the way home Monday and bought a Freud Diablo D1050X which is 10 inch and 50 teeth. All of which I might add were sharp right of the package. Well changed the blades, reviewed the fence and got out a wood clamp and clamped down a board on the outside of the fence so it could not move out any. Then made some saw dust. Cut 6 new strips of basswood and 8 strips of popular. All about 24 inches long and 2 inch wide and .375 thick plus or minus 3 thousands. I'm happy with the finish so will not be running them through a thickness sander. Don't have one yet anyway. Someday, the new change program really hurt my extra pocket change. In the next few days I might cut a keel and keelson out of the ParMarfin that I hid away on the other side of the shop after I saw the first few strips that I had cut the other night. Then might try to cut a false keel out of an ebony plank that I have.

Planning on taking a few photos later tonight, Tuesday, of the cut strips of wood.

Mark

Blade does not wobble at 90 degrees even, both the old and now with the new. Also thinking that I might have hit an interesting "sap" pocket or area.

Daniel

Hope to have photos later tonight of the wood strips.

Have a great day building or whatever works for you and yours.

Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker

Cool.  Happy to hear it was just the blade... or maybe some rogue sap.   We wait for your pictures...   :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Well due to a bad link up with my wife's computer and her printer I was not able to try another test cut or two. I fought the printer and did win..
Here are some pics of the first two cuts and how bad they came out and then a pic of the popular that seemed to have a sap or something run in it that I could not avoid have show up.
More on another day

Later 42rocker

1st two pics how rough the first day cuts were with old blade.
Next is the popular showing the same bad area on all cut boards, over looking the first 2 planks from the 1st day
last is the basswood that came out fine.

post-557-0-27685000-1363754293_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-99454300-1363754315_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-59030300-1363754326_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-57539600-1363754337_thumb.jpg

The timber looks pretty good to me! You´re going to need lots of wood working to 1:24 ... Have you seen the recon54´s log about Le Fleuron? He is working to 1:24 too.

With the photos I was meaning to see the process of cutting much more than the timber.

Best wishes!

Daniel.

Daniel

Have to cut the strips first then get to go from there. And still going to cut a few more strips later tonight or tomorrow. I'm cutting the wood strips for the msb Battle Station at the same time. If all comes out well then next is to redo the keel and keelson and false keel in better woods and in 1:24 scale this time.

No, I have not seen """Have you seen the recon54´s log about Le Fleuron?""", do you have a link??

Everyone -- Enjoy life and your builds.

Later 42rocker

• 2 weeks later...

Well the son drove down and spent a few days with us and I've been doing a lot of other things, family stuff mostly fun stuff. Then the home computer power supply stopped working. So other things. Hope to get back on track shortly.

May you always enjoy family visits together.

Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker

I am going to copy a sentence that Kelvin12 wrote in the old MSW 1.0. I´m not sure if it was his signature once but I have it printed and stick it on my wall. I laugh a lot when I read it. He manteined...

" Seems women the world over don´t realize how important this building project really is. They expect us to drop everything and attend to domestic chores when this building is obviously way more important. "

Regards.

Daniel.

Family first rule in our house. How I have a house guest coming that is work related then work related events next 10 plus days. I can see an opening in May in which I think I can try to do something with this.. LOL.. Just got in another set of plans for another Cross Section, The Bomb Vessel, they look great also. This one first.  I'll be up near Pete38 in a week or so. Pete order up some warm weather please.

Later 42rocker

• 1 month later...

Sick, under the weather for the last two or so weeks got just after I got back from Pete38's area in Kentucky. About the only thing I have been up to is sit watch tv, do the internet and sleep and try to get better. Also go to work then home rest etc I think you know the drill.

Another day, can't wait to get back to it. Today eyes stopped watering all of the time so can see a few details better..

Later 42rocker

Small minor update. For the first time since I was up in pete38's area in Kentucky I'm starting to feel better. My mother-in-law made it out of the hospital and into rehab from her fight with pneumonia so things are starting to look up.

So grabbed a couple of pieces of cherry wood logs that a friend gave me while I was in Kentucky and ran them through the planner till smooth and had a 90 degree angle then ran them into the bandsaw and set them aside to dry. I'm guessing about 1 year from now they should be ready for something. I cut them using a quarter sawn pattern. Also Thanks to Michael Mott for his how to words that he posted. Thanks Again.

Also found some wood that I bought from Grizzly a few years ago. Now to get a few things done then get going on this build.

Thanks for the get better thoughts everyone.

Later 42rocker

Happy to hear you're starting to feel better and that your mother-in-law has made it out of the hospital. Good you felt good enough to do some work in the shop. Working with wood is good for the body and spirit.

Take care rocker!

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Thanks Paddy. Wood is always something nice to spend some hobby time with.

Later 42rocker

Pete38

What you said about your weather was very true. Was planning to camp a few nights, then saw the down to 32 degrees statements and became the third party on the floor in a friends hotel room for a few nights. We got in late Wednesday night and then went to the event on Thursday morning. Rain 50's to 60's all day, Friday no rain mid 40's instead. Saturday I started the drive back down to Tampa, Fla area.

Hopefully this sickness bug is past. One of my clients has it bad also and she stated it takes about 4 weeks to get over it.

Well this week planning to cut grass and then out to the shop to cut some more wood for the frames. Then cut some paper patterns then glue down and cut out some wood frames or that's the plan. Lets see what try's to mess it up this time.

Later 42rocker

Wow 42Rocker, you sure are busy. Hope that you are feeling better now and can find some time to work on your build soon. I'm looking forward to seeing your frames. Hope you post some pictures soon. Take care.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Ron

You seem to get a lot more done than I do. Tonight was cut 1/2 of the grass at work then come home and pull weeds. 2nd half of grass at work tomorrow. And so on and so on you folks know how the grass grows. But will sure try to get some saw time in to work on wood for the frames this week and yes I'll try to take and post some pics.
Was reviewing plans for the bomb vessel today. Looking forward to working on both in a nice scale.

Later 42rocker