H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:24 by Tim

42rocker

Hope you do find some saw time soon.

I don't have to cut any lawns anymore as I live in a townhouse complex and just pay lots of money for someone else to do it.  :) So, yes, i guess I do have a little more time to build then you do. Good luck with finding some spare time.  :cheers:

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Pete38

I'll think about it as I'm sitting here cooling down from spending the last hour and a half cutting the back area of the store grass. Did front half yesterday and back half today. Friday night is cutting two front yards mine and a renters. So after I get done with those I'll think about driving up to do it. Wait by then I'll need to start cutting over again in another area. Sorry Pete just does not seem like I'll be able to make it this summer. How about next Oct 10th thru the 13th I'll be in your area again at that time. Same place if you want to meet there.

Wood need to cut wood not grass wood. LOL

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Well said that I was going to try to cut wood today and not grass. Not sure if I'm happy or unhappy that I did get a chance to cut some wood. Feed some basswood to the table saw tonight, no fingers. I used to think that I knew how to do a good job on cutting wood. Well the mic proved that I'm not really that good. So back to the drawing board. I have three ideas to make my cuts better. So please wait to see how I do before you give me any new ones. I "think" that I know the errors of the ways that I'm doing things and will work things out. Cutting strips to .375 and .500 for the two cross sections that I'm going to be working on.

More later.

Later 42rocker

Edited by 42rocker

Thanks Paddy. I did done done it. I think??? LOL

Good Update, it's about time. Thanks to my wife for always being there with a helping hand and also allowing me to buy what I think needs to be bought to help build things in and on the house and also my hobbies. Great Wife.
Well took a few of the pieces of wood that I was not happy with and ran them through the thickness planer. After a couple of flips and passes got them down to something that I'm happy with. A piece of basswood .375 inches thick and 1.5 inches by 24 inches with the .375 being +- .001 up and down the length of the plank. Ra Ra. Small little happy dance. Ok, again small little happy dance.
Some night this week I'll repeat and have my planks then it's cut and paste time and jig saw time. I'll also cut a few in 1/2 inch for the bomb vessel cross section that I'm also going to do.

Pete39 here we go..

Later 42rocker

• 2 weeks later...

Where have I been? Well --

Thieves -- I hate them!!
Well if things seem like I have not be taking care of this or that or doing this or that,,, it's because my mine and body have been thinking about and/or doing other things. Last Monday night after I left work someone or more than one person broke out the glass in my stores front door. Did what they are calling a break in and grab and run. Got my store for over Fifteen hundred plus and then plus repairs. Seems that this is something that our area sheriff has been trying to stop for about 4 months. Odds of finding or catching seem like about zero to 5%. Well got lucky as I have a standard size front door and the glass folks had a piece that would fit perfect. Final cost only about $200.00 for the broken glass. If they had not had a piece in stock it would have taken 7 days to get a tempered piece of glass made to fit the door. I guess that I should say that this is the 2nd time in the last 27 years that I've been broken into. At least no one was hurt, yet. Well back to getting some other stuff done. I have posted some pics from a 2003 Model Expo visit and been doing the Wood Game in the Wood Discussion area. Hope to post another interesting piece later tonight. Other good news my mother-in-law who is in the hospital is doing better. Born in 1925 what can we say but hang in there.
STAY SAFE!!

Later 42rocker

Pete38

Break in and damage is not covered. And I have faith that the local police will live up to their norms and catch some speeders and other such,

But all in all life is going on and I hopefully will get another chance tomorrow to do something. Tomorrow hope to finish cutting some more 3/8inch thick planks and have enough to put the cut out patterns on and then later this week start cutting some frame material. Also hope to review and make a thickness sander out of my wife's delta belt sander. The Learner posted a post in his HMS full ship build thread showing how he did it. Check it out.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1459-triton-148-by-the-learner/page-4

Want to build that real bad.

Later 42rocker

Hang in there rocker. I know it sometimes feels that we have the water pumped out and then the bilge fills again.

We look forward to you being able to stay after the Triton for longer periods without distractions.

All the best.  

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

As long as I get to do some of it each week and keep going forward I'm happy and I'm the only one that I need to make happy.WAIT the wife, ok need to make someone else happy first.

Paddy and Pete Thanks for the nice words. Slower than I want but forward. Hope to cut some planks tonight.

Later 42rocker

Well ran across the following in another forum and bring it here to think about.

"""Following the instructions of the practicum, I installed the tree nails using Minwax Wipeon Poly as the adhesive. This is the same coating used to finish the wood surface of the boat. The excess bamboo is cut off and sanded flush leaving no glue marks. I prefer that the treenails have a low contrast rather high one as seen in some other models because I feel it looks more realistic."""

Glue and the stain not working together has always been in the back of my mine and this might be a way around that problem.

Later 42rocker

Grant

I'm glad that works for you. Good idea to remind folks about.

Myself I'm happy to report that I think that I cut the last of the basswood planks last night and sometime today I'll finish running them through the thickness planner to size. While I'm over there I'll also be checking my Delta sander and what I can do to make that GREAT conversion that "The Learner" showed in his thread. WOW, what a great way to make a thickness sander. Thanks again for showing that in your thread.

Bought the rubber cement with the 40% off hobbylobby coupon. Also saw that I could have bought the 3/8 x 3 x 24" basswood planks for a mere $3.50 to $4.50 each at hobbylobby. Counting the number of frames (9) (x2 sistered frames) total 18 planks. Well that adds up. Of course time, effort, tools might make this like fishing? Who cares I cut and resized the planks from 2x4 stock. I did it.

Well after I finish the thickness then it's glue down patterns and then start cutting out the parts. Can't wait. Wait need to adjust some of the frames drawings as I'm adding scarf joints to some of them and relocating a few lines to match. Only going to make scarfs on the end frames. Only those end frames will be seen. Planning to adjust the joint locations on the fake joints where I'm going to leave planking off. Really need to do some planning now.  Also going to add in chocks where they will be seen. You folks that left areas of the planking off to show off the frames have really raised the bar on this one.

Enjoy the weekend and REMEMBER MONDAY and Remember those that gave it all for our Freedom's here in America. To those from other countries Have a great day also. For Americans it's Memorial Day.

Later 42rocker

Well the mother-in-law is out of the hospital for the second time and into a different rehab this time. From what I hear she is getting better. She is hoping to go back to her ALC complex in a few weeks. My son is down visiting and also seeing her.

Well I was able to cut out C,B,A,O and glue them down. Used rubber cement which seemed to work just fine at this stage. I'll start cutting out the first couple of pieces hopefully Thursday after work. Then I really know how it works out.

Planning to cut in 4 scrafs on the ends of the framing. Also planning to put in some chocks in the framing.

Pics tomorrow I hope.

Later 42rocker

Thanks Pete, I can't wait either. My son is going to visit his grandmother (my mother -in-law) at rehab to day while I'm at work then we are getting together later tonight and some time in there I hope to use my wife's RBI Hawk Jigsaw and cut out some frame pieces. Then I'll see if I did the first few correctly then I'll cut out some more paper and glue down the rest of the patterns down. Then over the weekend cut the rest of the frame pieces out.

Also I used a couple of Basswood 2x4's that I had for the frame pieces.

Later 42rocker

Well took a plank with glued down paper to my wife's RBI Hawk Jigsaw last night and started a cutting. Ra Ra. Paper held down and cutting was slow but the test worked. Will cut more later. My son is down in town for a few more days and doing things with him more than working on cutting frame pieces. Family first. He is 33 years old and a great son. Proud to say my wife and I have been lucky enough to have had a great couple of kids. Daughter is only 30

To everyone take the time to be with them and support them as they grow. Time well spend. For our ship models they will be there when our children have returned to their homes.

Later 42rocker

Any chance of pictures????  We'd love to see your work.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark

Not much to show. Will try to take some over the weekend and such but with visiting the mother-in-law 1 hour each way at her rehab and other things might be Wednesday before I get another chance.

Paddy

I wish that a lot of folks would take the time and be with their families more. Everyone Build a small sail boat or something with your kids or grand kids.

Later 42rocker

Mark and everyone else

A few pics. One is of all the paper cutouts glued down and the other two are of the first couple of frame pieces cut out with my wife's RBI Hawk. She lets me use it as long as I don't break to many saw blades. I'm close on a couple of passes but I think that it will all work out and later if it looks like it will not then I'll redo it. lets see 5 pieces one side, 6 pieces the other side, that's 9 pieces total per frame making a total of 99 pieces to cut out then sand. 3 down 96 to go. I think that after I have enough for frame ( B), I'll try to set up and do a glue up before I cut the rest out.

Later 42rocker

post-557-0-32388200-1370116613_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-25577700-1370116648_thumb.jpg

post-557-0-29748400-1370116660_thumb.jpg

Dang, Rocker - that is a bunch of cutting and jigsaw puzzle building ahead of you!  Nice start on this. 

Totally agree on the kids - mine are a bit younger and not always so thrilled to do stuff with the old folks (we prefer to think of ourselves as parents, but a teenager can make that sound like a terrible infectious disease of some sort), but give them as much time as we can!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Rocker,

Nice work.  Yes to leaving a bit more meat for fairing.  Also, unless you're really organized, I found that the best way is to cut and build one frame at a time.  I tried the 'cut them all out at once" routine but ended up misplacing bits and pieces. 

On the blades, order her a gross from Olsen or Sawbird....  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Way to go Rocker!

It is amazing the amount of wood that a disc sander eats so do not worry about leaving one or two milimeters of "extrameat". I cut mine in this way and is more relaxing than trying to go exactly throuhg the line of the pattern.

Like the "left" and "right" literature on the patterns. I started writing P.S and S.B. trying to be an erudite and all became a mess. Now I just put a P.S (port side) (right) and nothing on the other one. I don´t Know why but I do not follow the rule of "Keep it simple".  By the way yesterday I glued all the patterns till  frame -W-. It has been a tedious work for me.

Best wishes Rocker and keep going!

Daniel.