Larry's Triton Cross Section

A few more pictures.Bent the beams for the gun deck and installed planking for one half lower deck.

Larry

post-37-0-71220100-1362662385.jpg

post-37-0-67190100-1362662396.jpg

post-37-0-79441000-1362662421.jpg

post-37-0-38449600-1362662443.jpg

post-37-0-70727400-1362662487.jpg

With Age Comes Wisdom,I'm Still Waiting!

Current Builds:Syren.Triton Cross section.

Completed Builds: Virginia by AL

King of the Mississippi by AL

Constellation by AL

Hi Larry. Your deck looks really nice. Now with that said I really hate to say it but there is

not an opening on the lower deck. There should be 3 carlings between the ledges there.

The opening like you have is on the upper gun deck. Sorry. :(

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thank You for your response.Pete If I treenail it will be the phoney kind.Rusty I had to think a while if I was going to fill that area in but I decided that the blige look so empty maybe a freight elevator would help.I will also add ballist, water barrels and such.I may decide differently after the upper decks are on.It's an easy fix.You Guys are really sharpe.   Larry

Constellation by AL

That's something thing that I've thought about also is adding items in the lower hold. rummy your thinking about ballast and water barrels and I have also been thinking about anchor rope and other things. Interesting to think about.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

May I explain why i'm doing a quick build.I started the Syren last year got about half done when I came on another ship.I worked it about 6 months.Now I have decided to do a scratch build Triton.I really love this.I know I am not following the exact plans but if I don't finish This quickly and finish the other 2 builds they may wind up not being finished  Larry

Constellation by AL

Larry

It's looking really nice. How long did you soak your beams for and how long did you let them dry before using them? 

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Rocker there seems to be a lot that could be added.I hadn't tought of ropes.

Ron,I soaked the beams about 3 hours in hot water then let them dry overnight.

Thanks Larry

Constellation by AL

Hi Larry, I glad to hear that it was intentional.

Great Idea about adding additional items too.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Joss,This is my first scratch build so I would not trust myself with good wood like like holly.This is basswood painted.Yes I am going to caulk the main deck.I didn't know if the lower decks were caulked.    Thanks Larry

Constellation by AL

Just dropping in on the dark side Larry.  She is really shaping up.

Say, if you're thinking of adding ballast keep in mind a layer of stones on the very bottom.  They can look nice under the casks, etc.

Carry on, mate :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thank You Augie for your advice.I will add the rock. A few more pictures of treenailing with toothpicks

Larry

post-37-0-33831200-1363199601.jpg

post-37-0-00797000-1363199614.jpg

post-37-0-64530700-1363199638.jpg

post-37-0-22399000-1363199650.jpg

post-37-0-98883200-1363199659.jpg

Constellation by AL

Looking good Larry. Nice to watch you build. It looks like you decided not to stain the toothpicks. Do you have a closeup picture of the finished outer planking using the toothpicks? I would like to see how much they stand out without the stain. Thanks

Ron

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Hello Ron and Pete,I really do not know what to do with the treenails.The first couple of pictures show the tooth picks.They just don't look right.To big I think.The other pictures show just the drilled holes.So I'll keep thinking and playing with them.

I went to the Goodwill today to look for wood and I found this block of nice wood.I cannot figure out what it's purpose is or what kind of wood it is.It's heavy. Any ideas?   Larry

post-37-0-84069600-1363214764.jpg

post-37-0-48584100-1363214788_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-90009500-1363214802.jpg

post-37-0-39098500-1363214812_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-58665500-1363214868.jpg

post-37-0-74090400-1363214878.jpg

post-37-0-27822000-1363214890.jpg

Constellation by AL

Don't have a clue to what type wood that is, by the pictures the grain looks fairly straight and tight.

On the treenails what size bit did you use to drill the holes. At 1:48 scale about a #76 bit would be about the right size. 

I had tried toothpicks on a test board and I could never get them to come out right. So I switched to the draw plate and bamboo skewers.

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Pete I think that was my problem. I used a tapered diamond bit.I'll try again with the right bit.I don't have a draw plate, so it's toothpicks are nothing  Thanks Pete            Larry

Constellation by AL

rummy

The only time that I have seen a board like that was one that was made for small weights for a balance scale. That said the ones on the right are a lot deeper than the ones that I've seen. Good Luck on finding out what it is for.

Your cross section is coming along nicely.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Larry,

I think 42rocker is right.  It looks like it's part of a decorative balance scale sold in some "shops".   Is the wood lightweight?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I know no one would say it but my treenailing was very bad, down right ugly.I have removed it.  In reference to the pictures,it is a fine piece of canvas just waiting for the artist.I wish I knew one.If this does not turn out I'll remove it also.Back to work  Larry

post-37-0-30165000-1363281992.jpg

post-37-0-79661400-1363282003.jpg

Constellation by AL

Larry,

You only have to please yourself. If on this second try you like it then it will be good enough, if you want to rip it off and redo it again then do so as many times as you want. We are here to support you in your hobby.

Just have fun doing it :D

Have you condsidered drilling the treenail with a bit then using a wood filler to simulate the nails. I know this has been done on quite a few models here on the site. Chuck's praticum onthe Sultana uses this method and it turned out really nice. Just an idea

Edited by Pete38

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

Larry,

I used a tape to mark the position of the treenails. I attached two pictures to show what I mean.

post-380-0-86741400-1363288563.jpg

The second picture shows all wholes for the treenails drilled. I used 0.9mm nails. today I would do the wholes for 0.5mm treenails.

post-380-0-40864100-1363288574.jpg

Perhaps the pictures help you.

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Larry,

I thought the treenails looked pretty good. And a whole lot better than what mine looked like.... :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Christian,the tape is a very good idea and yes I did use an 0.6 mm for the holes and it came out much better.

Mark,Thanks for the kind words.It is impossiable for your nails to look worse than mine.How do I know,because if they did the "Ugly Police" would have hauled you off long ago :P  I think I'm getting the hang of it.Now for the toothpicks and how to stain them. Thanks for Everyones Help    Larry

post-37-0-90435900-1363302736.jpg

post-37-0-11567800-1363302747.jpg

post-37-0-26796600-1363302757.jpg

Constellation by AL

Hi larry. The second time turned out very nice!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Your wholes are now looking really nice, but you made a small mistake. You need two treenails for each plank on each frame or easier on each double frame.

If you want to show some of the frames have also a look to the alignment. The right wholes are a little bit outside of the frames. If not don't worry, noone will see it later. ;)

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Larry

Thanks for the tea tip. I may try a batch with some milk and sugar.  :)

Christian has a point there. What is the standard for the Triton? Two treenails or one in each outer plank? I know that this was mentioned somewhere in the Victory build, but I can't remember where or if it was for the decking. Russ may know about the Triton.

Ron

It depends of the width of the planks.

For the planking of the hull I found: if the planks are less 8'' width there is one treenail, if the planks have a width greater than 11'' there are 2 treenails

For the deck planking I found the following:

Planks less than 6'' width one treenail, all other two treenails.

(Source: Wolfram zu Mondfeld, Historische Schiffsmodelle)

Perhaps someone can verify this with another source.

Regards Christian