Yak 27K-8 by king derelict - AModel - 1/72 - PLASTIC

This is the third of my planned Eastern European kits and may be the most challenging. It was an impulse buy because I liked that 50s "supersonic" look. As I understand it the Yak 27K never made it beyond prototype although a reconnaissance did get in. to production.

This was also planned to see if I could improve my metal finish skills without too much heartbreak. Having had a quick look in the box I think it may also define the cliff edge of my sanity.

References are scarce and it seems that few models have made a public appearance.

RIMG0364.thumb.JPG.9a285a07231d9a6224d72592951d2558.JPG

RIMG0367.thumb.JPG.09db43ec528ac671af52baa4e415d9e2.JPG

Lots of parts in the box, quite a bit of flash, some distorted looking parts, sink holes and no locating pins. No major warping at first sight tough.

RIMG0365.thumb.JPG.78b50784166b0f879cbaae7547aa8ace.JPG

RIMG0366.thumb.JPG.543344880bdf7db40803c82f6587b570.JPG

Instructions are somewhat vague and tend to indicate an approximate location of where to add parts

RIMG0435.thumb.JPG.27a0bde867769a81aea647c6cb36233f.JPG

Fuselage halves have been cleaned up and the cockpit bucket assembled. Primer added while I try to determine colours. As far as I can tell Yaks had dark grey cockpits in the 50s not the turquoise seen in most Soviet aircraft.

I don't think much will be seen inside once the fuselage is closed up. 

The current overall plan is to complete the fuselage, add wings and tail surfaces then paint. The engine pods will be assembled and painted separately and then fitted. Obviously a lot of dry fitting before picking up the airbrush.

I see a lot of filler in my future.

Thanks for looking in.

Alan

Another excellent kit  Alan   -  blimey  you are  keeping  yourself  busy mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Very cool subject Alan - looking forward to following along!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Alan, I think this pretty quickly morphed into the YAK-28 Firebar. Two operational versions, YAK-28P and YAK-28PM. The P carried 2 Anab missiles, the PM carried the Anabs and 2 Atoll short range IR missiles. I see at least the 2 Anabs in your parts jumble. This was considered a significant all weather interceptor threat. in the early 70s by NATO.

Good luck with the parts fit. My Firebar sits in the Box of Doomed projects. The nacelle fits are oath-inducing.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• The title was changed to Yak 27K-8 by king derelict - AModel - 1/72 - PLASTIC
2 hours ago, Canute said:

Alan, I think this pretty quickly morphed into the YAK-28 Firebar. Two operational versions, YAK-28P and YAK-28PM. The P carried 2 Anab missiles, the PM carried the Anabs and 2 Atoll short range IR missiles. I see at least the 2 Anabs in your parts jumble. This was considered a significant all weather interceptor threat. in the early 70s by NATO.

Good luck with the parts fit. My Firebar sits in the Box of Doomed projects. The nacelle fits are oath-inducing.

Hi Ken

You are right about the Yak-28 developing from the -27. All four missiles are included in the kit. I’m not sure if it makes sense to use any or all of them.

I had a brief look at the engine nacelles and I need to save up my allowance of bad language for them.

I started putting things together and have already got a flavour of how things may go. I started with the cockpit tub and the first problem was trying to fit seats and instrument panels. As shown there just isn't room. I sanded the bottom of the rear panel to set it at a different angle which gave be just enough space to the front seat. I dumped the joysticks, they were a mess of flash and were far too tall unless Yaks of the 50s used eye level sticks. I made a pair from 0.5 mm brass rod.

The instrument panels have dials sunk into them. I used very dilute white paint in each dial which had the effect of highlighting the rims and giving a bit of depth. A dab of Gators Grip acted as the glass. It will never be seen once closed up but it came out quite well.

The rear bulkhead is requiring some heavy-duty sanding to allow the two fuselage halves to come together. A bit more work still needed and I may need to adjust the front IP too.

I also made up the rear main landing gear bay and had to get pretty savage with teh sanding sticks there but it does not fit and the uselage will close back there

RIMG0441.thumb.JPG.94c24cb7bdff9cfe1db79b4c15922140.JPG

RIMG0442.thumb.JPG.e74f1dbea23f8a13360d3635c301b3ab.JPG

RIMG0443.thumb.JPG.dfc5750eb34894e9bee4a801b726c959.JPG

Thanks for looking in and the likes and comments

Alan

I closed up the fuselage which required a lot of iterations filing the cockpit bucket and nose landing gear bay to fit. The nose landing gear bay was a pale shadow of its initial shape by the time I had got it to fit  I made up the wings from the upper and lower halves. Again the sanding sticks and files were an essential part of the process.

I then had a look at the engine nacelles. The kit provides a first stage compressor and a final turbine stage with spray ring for the afterburner. They don't fit. I had to do some significant work with the files and reduced the sides almost to teh spray ring before it would fit.

RIMG0450.thumb.JPG.d99ee65794adaeb8e9fb8b27a151c5a5.JPG

Those oval turbine wheels never really caught on!

I originally thought I would paint the nacelles separately from the wings but fit checks showed that a lot of filing and filling was going to be necessary so I thought I should get it together before the primer goes on and get the gaps sorted out. The compressor / turbine discs wont be seen unless someone is very determined.

RIMG0453.thumb.JPG.3851b995858c596fd0d87cc48c54405c.JPG

Dry fit suggests the wings will actually go on okay.

My fancy forward instrument panel is lost forever now that teh cockpit is closed up

RIMG0454.thumb.JPG.c0febc5dadf5e511b07031060f5faaf2.JPG

RIMG0456.thumb.JPG.2c01f3b1aa7bcb40c450c47249b00502.JPG

I'm moving a bit slowly with this one because I am letting the glued joints set overnight to withstand the violence with the sanding sticks that will follow.

Thanks for looking in and the likes and comments

Alan

Nice job Alan.  Looks like another kit that will test your skills!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    Hs129B-2 1/48  SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32   IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike. I’m now at the point where your notes on filling gaps is very helpful. Actually although the nacelle to wing joints are nasty they seem to have cleaned up without leaving too much of a gap. Tailplanes fit quite nicely and the wings look as if they will be much better than the Condor. So far I’m using Vallejo putty and letting it dry overnight before attempting to sand it back.

alan

Hey Alan, just be careful about using the Vallejo Putty.  I've heard it tends to shrink over time.  For bigger gaps, I mostly use Tamiya 2-part epoxy putty or CA which don't shrink.  

For small cracks and stuff, I will use things like Tamiya putty and have used Vallejo Putty.  I just get too nervous that with my slow build times, by the time I get around to painting - which could be weeks or months after construction - I'm back at square one with needing to fill (would be even worse if I had already painted!).

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike