Queen Anne's Revenge 1710 by shipmodel - FINISHED - 1/36 scale

Well done! She's amazing.

Congrats on a well done subject.  I would be leery of having that little sailor so close to a work of art he might knock into it.

David B

Congratulation on the completion Dan she looks very nice, it has been great following along.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thank you all for the likes and compliments, especially from those who followed the entire oddessy from the beginning.  I am glad if any of the explanations of my own methods and techniques made another modeler's efforts a little easier.

Here is a final photo of the model being crated for shipping.

post-3092-0-02596300-1432844091_thumb.jpg

I hope to get down to the museum for the installation.  If so, I'll post a photo or two.

Be well

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

• 1 month later...

Hi all - 

I have started a new scratch build log for my next model, the SS Andrea Doria (1952) in 1/16" scale.  I will be setting up a link to it on my Signature page, once Chuck reminds me how to do it, but for now you can get it here:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10963-ss-andrea-doria-1952-by-shipmodel-116-scale/ 

Be well

Dan

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

Congrats Dan,

to completing "The Queen Anne`s Revenge", a very beautiful built ship with lovely Details, I do hope it reached it`s destinated Museum safe and Sound...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Dan,

I'm headed there next... Here's the link on adding links to your signature:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/760-how-to-add-a-build-log-link-to-your-signature/

Edit.. never mind on the signature.  I notice it's already there.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark - 

Thanks for the link, but as you noticed Chuck sent me the instructions and I did make the link on my Signature page.

And thanks again to all who liked or commented on this build.  I hope you get as much enjoyment out of following the build of the Doria.

Be well

Dan

• 1 year later...

Hi all - 

As mentioned during the build of this model of the Queen Anne's Revenge, I have been tasked to do two models of the ship.  One for each of the museum's locations - Raleigh and Beaufort.

I have been working steadily on the second edition, but not done a build log, since almost all of the techniques used, and the results obtained, are identical.  Below are some progress photos.  The hull is complete and fitted out.  The masts and all of the standing rigging is done.  I am turning the spars as I listen to the Masters.

The only significant technical difference is invisible.  I had a good deal of trouble with the lower hull in the first model.  Despite lots of glue, doweling, and wood hardening, there were some hairline cracks that developed between hull crescents caused by humidity changes that would not go away.  To eliminate the problem, the entire lower hull of this model was fully planked and pegged.  I have not had a repeat of the issue.

Sharp eyes will note one or two differences between the two sisters.  I took the waterline and wales up about 10mm to more closely match the profile of the Advice Prize plans, rather than Budriot's Mercure.  It lays out much better for the headrails, hawse holes, and quarter badges.  The museum requested that all of the guns, not just the port broadside, be run out, so they were set and rigged ready for combat.  Finally, the underwater archaeologists have located some of the chain plates for the lower deadeyes.  Rather than the solid straps found with other French ships of the period, they are metal loops and backing plates similar to those generally known on English ships.  Accordingly, they were made up from iron wire and secured with nails into the hull.  

I will post some more when I get closer to completion.

As always, feel free to comment, question, or critique it.

Be well

Dan

IMG_7034.JPG

IMG_7036.JPG

IMG_7035.JPG

IMG_7038.JPG

IMG_7037.JPG

• 5 months later...

Hi all - 

Well, the second coming of the Queen Anne's Revenge is done - finally - and will be on its way to North Carolina on Friday.  

There are some minor differences between this one and the first (i.e. chains for the lower deadeyes rather than straps were discovered underwater, so they were changed on the model).  But overall, they are very similar in both technique and final appearance.  I did plank the entire lower hull before putting on the white stuff, which eliminated the earlier hairline cracks from the movement in the wood of the framing, but very little else.

Here are some of the finished photos.  The blue flags are Post-It paper to warn of where the bowlines for the sails are.  They are well nigh invisible without them.

All questions, comments and critiques are welcome.

Be well

Dan

# overall 1.jpg

# overall from bow quarter.jpg

# overall from stern quarter.jpg

foredeck details.jpg

ground tackle.jpg

longboat and waist details.jpg

main top details.jpg

quarterdeck details.jpg

stern w lantern and flag.jpg

Nicely done Dan.....I know how hard that must have been to hold your interest making two identical models one after the other.   It certainly didnt effect the quality at all second time around.  Well done.  I would have been banging my head against the wall.....like groundhog day.

Incredible.  Those chains look like a lot of work.  

Hi all - 

Thanks for the likes and compliments.  I am quite happy with how it finally came out, and the museum people seem to like it too.

I did work out one final technique for the sails.  Over the months that it took to make, hang, and rig the sails, they developed some kinks, bumps and dents that took away from the simple billowed shapes that I wanted.  But I realized that they are all stiffened with matte medium, which responds to heat by softening.  So I 'borrowed' my wife's hair dryer which has separate controls for temperature and fan power.  Using the high fan with heat I softened each sail while blowing it forward (or to port for the staysail and lateen).  The heat worked a treat in smoothing out wrinkles and bumps, and the fan filled the sail with wind.  Once it took on the shape that I wanted I turned the dryer to its cool setting, but left the fan on high.  After a few minutes the matte medium set in the desired configuration and the fan was shut off.  None of the lines were damaged and the look of the sails was much improved.

This should work with almost all stiffened sails, even those done with dilute white glue.  Hope it works for you.

Dan

Beautiful work Dan, and very informative.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Aviaamator - 

Thanks for looking in and enjoying my journey.  I hope the machines and devices can make your own modeling a bit easier.

One small note - almost all of the rigging, with the exception of the smallest seizing line, is museum grade linen line from a supply that I have been carefully hoarding for years.  Only the color has been changed from natural to black for the standing rigging with fabric dye.

Be well

Dan

A beautiful build Dan,

I like it very much that you`ve spent her a set of sails....   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you all.  It was a very enjoyable project, and I am happy if it contributes, in a small way, to the general appreciation of maritime history.  The North Carolina people have done a great job with their museum and especially curator Paul Fontenoy and historian David Moore whose excellent article on the ship appears in the latest issue of the Nautical Research Journal.

Be well

Dan 

• 3 years later...

Hello; I hope this finds all well & Happy New Year.

I have a 93 year old friend who has been and still is an avid wooden model ship builder his entire life after serving in the US Navy during WWII as a carpenter. His job was to board up all buildings on the Pacific islands that we used during the war. He is also now blind in one eye and still doing remarkable work.

He wants to build the Queen Anne’s Revenge but I cannot find the plans. Would you know where a set of plans can be bought?

I appreciate the craftsmanship and work of folks like you and my friend and thank you for doing these magnificent model ships.

Take care,

Richard Schindler

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...