Essex - Process and corrections to the new Model Expo Kit

samueljr

ME used some kind of  plywood from SA that was sized to metric dimensions. It was slightly over sized and it caused problems with the bulkhead and bulkhead former fit.  For whatever reason, they rushed the kit into production and never built a ship using production parts. Unbelievably, my early kit label stated it was a solid hull kit. Someone had evidently used a label from their old Essex kit :huh:.

Why it has taken them over a year to correct the issue is a mystery although Sam's unfortunate health issue may be the reason. I continue to hope I can obtain updated parts drawings and instructions so I can build the model but I despair. I will never order an ME model preproduction again.

Best

Jaxboat :(

Edited by Jaxboat

No, I haven't heard back from them either. In the past, they have always been very responsive. Maybe, since the upgraded kits won't ship till February, they don't have enough parts to ship replacement parts.

Bill M.

I've 'reached out to them' on behalf of my pal who has the kit. So far no reply.

I've been helping him build it as he's not hugely experienced and Bob's experiences terrified him so I offered to help with the hull. Fortunately Bob's magnificent results calmed him enough to make a start and We got through the bulkhead issue eventually. But we've just discovered that the windows are literally falling to pieces due to incorrect laser cutting. Virtually all of them are unusable due to having all or most of the frames too thin or missing.

I have always had a positive response from ME when I've had a problem and this is the first time they've ignored me. I don't know if the fact that he bought the kit from a hobby store and not ME direct has anything to do with it.

So, we may be looking at a scratch built or getting windows cut by a third party if ME don't respond.

Did you hear back from them yet Bill.?

Dan.

Great news about ME sending out the new replacement parts! ME has had a good reputation for standing behind their kits and products. It looks like the Essex kit will be no exception.

I would still like to hear about Sam and how he is doing? I communicated with him in the past about the Essex and he was always most helpful-- a great guy. I hope he is doing well.

Bill M.

Thanks. In addition to the quarter gallery windows, I hope that ME sees fit to provide the new bulkheads, the new instruction booklet and whatever other parts need replacing. I think there may have been some issue as to some of the castings, if I recall correctly, though the principle issue for me are the bulkheads.

Bill M.

For those who are getting replacement parts, did you have to ask or did they just indicate they were sending them? If you had to ask how did you know what to ask for?

I asked for window replacements because the supplied windows were not cut properly. I corrected the bulkhead problem myself . I have no idea what else is wrong but I'm sure I'll find out!

I suspect if you have a problem you'll have to ask, as not everyone bought their kit from ME direct, some bought from hobby shops so they can't just send out replacements to every buyer.

There are however more and more brave souls showing up here who have gone through the early Essex problems so there isn't too much to be worried about, and I doubt it will be long before a replacement set of bulkheads will be available for those who were patient enough to wait.

Edited by overdale

I, too, received my new Essex kit today; it has been on order since last spring.  I hope it will be worth the wait.  But now I have to finish the project I started in its absence, so it will have to wait a bit longer.  In the meantime, I'll watch MSW to see if all goes well with the new kit.

Stu

I found out yesterday, that I should receive my Essex kit within the next two weeks. Looking forward to it!

Like I mentioned in an earlier posting, I will take some photos of the un-boxing when it arrives and post them here.

- Tim

• 1 month later...

Based on comments here and the obvious availability of the kits now on ME's website, ME is finally shipping backorders. I wonder when they will make replacement parts available to early purchasers. I note that they have the new instructions on their site but not the parts list. Has anyone obtained corrected bulk heads? This whole situation is very annoying :angry:

Best

Jaxboat B)

Also being one of the earlier purchasers, I too am waiting to hear when the corrected replacement parts will be coming. I emailed them back in January to ask, but never received a reply. Sam had said that the instructions would be revised. I'm glad they did that at least, but I think they should send out a replacement set with the replacement parts. Yes, it is getting frustrating.

Bill M.

• 1 month later...

Received correction package from ME. I made my request along the lines of what Terry said he received. The new laser cut parts look to be a real step up from the stuff I originally received and weren't made from "mystery" wood. I also received a new instruction book. I did not ask fro new plan sheets. Can anyone comment if I should have? While I appreciate MEs supplying the new parts, I would like to respectfully point out that they could have saved a lot of angst (and expense) if they had built a second prototype out of production parts to catch any problems BEFORE they shipped out the early kits.

Best

Jaxboat B)

Guest Tim I.

Jaxboat,

I received a "new" kit from Model Expo early in April (2015). I have been meaning to post pictures here, and will try and do so tonight. When I went through my kit, I was very disappointed. The quality of the keel and bulkheads is lacking and the fittings are horrendous. 

I will try and post pictures this evening of my kit.

- Tim

Well, based on the success of others in getting correction parts for their Essex kits, I have emailed Model Expo customer service for the corrected parts for my early Essex kit. Assuming I receive them OK, I will have no excuses not to start the kit!

Bill M.

Jaxboat:

You should ask for new plans (if they have done them). The original plans had numerous discrepancies between the sheets and problems with scale.

Bob