Essex - Process and corrections to the new Model Expo Kit

samueljr

It looks like the Essex kit is currently out of stock and back ordered at Model Shipways.  I would assume then that anyone purchasing this kit directly from them from now on will receive the kits with the latest corrections/upgrades.  It's a shame the execution of this kit didn't match what was designed.

Erik

Hi Stefan,

Check the date for the parts list. If it is recent, then the kit is the new version. The same holds true for the Instructions print date. The ship's plans were not updated to the best on my knowledge. Be aware that the laser cut parts were improved substantially and now fit but the metal castings remain awful.

Best

Jaxboat B)

Hi,

thanks for the Answers. But the Problem is, as i said my Post before, that i'm not able to look inside the Kit. The German Importer Krick has only one Essex left and did not order reglulary at Model Expo, only one or two Times a year or on exclusive Order. So if i order, i would buy a pig in a poke. If i got luck and it's a new One everything is ok, but if it's an old one the Problem sending the replacement parts to Germany is open.

therefore i would buy the Confederacy, it's actually also exclusive Order( delivery Time up to 6 month :o ), but then i hope that there are no problems with the parts because the Confed did not have such problems.

Greetings

Steffen

Edited by standard2k

The Confederacy is a much better bet. It is a beautiful kit. It still suffer from terrible castings like the Essex which is no fault of the designers. Chuck Passaro's company (Syren) sells a resin cast figure head and beautiful cannon replacements. Enjoy

Best

Jaxboat B)

I'm looking for some advice today.  I'm making good progress on Essex, and will be ready to start the copper sheathing in a few weeks.  This will be my first attempt at sheathing, and am at a loss as to the best adhesive to use to apply the copper tiles.  Could anyone give me some suggestions?

Stu

I had ordered a ME kit of the Essex in October of 2014 and it arrived in early 2015. In reading this thread I have become a bit confused regarding the release and shipment date of the "revised kit". I am not sure of what I have at this point.  Also I think I saw some where in this thread on this site regarding a time stamp on the kit or drawings. Did I imagine this? Thanks

I received my ESSEX kit from ME last month(See previous posts this topic), and the parts list had a date of 5/21/2015.  To my knowledge, ME did not update the drawings nor the packaging.  My box had a 2013 date on it.

Hope this helps.

Mercdaddy

Past Builds: Corel"s Victory, Mamoli's Friesland, Mantua's San Felipe, Model Shipway's USS Constitution

Current Build: Model Shipway's USS Syren

Future Build: Model Shipway's USF ESSEX

Edited by Mercdaddy27

I would certainly be open to meet and discuss this kit since I'm probably 20 -30 minutes from you. As far as doing a item by item comparison, I believe that is unnecessary since the updates have been well document in this thread.

Mercdaddy

Past builds: Core's Victory, Mamoli's Friesland, Mantua's San Felipe, Model Shipways, USS Constitution

Current Build: Model Shipway's USS Syren

Future Build: Model Shipway's USF ESSEX

• 2 weeks later...