HMS Unicorn by ZyXuz - Corel - Scale 1:75

Hi ZyXuz,

I'm wondering about a thick black wale also - i think it would look nice, but I like the look of the wale broken up as in the Corel model.

I don't know what to say on the planking.  These models take a long time to complete, and you'll be looking at it each build session.  If the planking bothers you that much now, then maybe the best thing to do is to remove it and try again?  A lot of work has gone in already, but maybe that will spare you a lot of aggravation and disappointment down the road if you're not happy with it now?  Then again, the beakhead bow on the Unicorn has those headrails, rigging, etc. that might end up covering up a lot of that area too?

Good luck whatever you decide!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

ZyXuz,

Whilst you are waiting for the extra timber give the planks that you have already fitted a good sanding. You will probably find that it will come up quite nicely. Keep the sawdust that you produce - you could then mix it with some diluted white wood glue to use as filler for any gaps between the planks. The filler produced this way will be the same colour as the surrounding wood (it should be it is the same wood after all!).

For me I did small amounts of planking then moved on to other activities such as assembling the fighting tops - so it took me quite a long time to do the planking -  but I didn't get fed up with it!

Keep your chin up and smile at adversity. :)

Edited by ianmajor

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thanks Mike and Ian for your advises.. :)
I almost placed an order of timbers which cost around £30, and then I read your replies... ;) really appreciate the quick respond.

My problem was that I've forced the strips to bend too much and cause it impossible to put the next strip on in whole piece. Well, I don't know why I didn't come up with this simple solution which is to cut the rest into shorter length.. It seems very workable now, but need more patient than doing 'normal' planking. A lot of tapering works needed.. will start working over when I have a good mood. :)

Mike,
Thanks for reminding me on the beakhead area :) It really helps covering a lot, and the wales too! 

for the area below the waterline, I think a thick white painting is unavoidable now. It has to be so thick that the strip borders couldn't be seen. I remember Dubz did the same for his Syren on the wale area  (well, of course he didn't do that to cover his superb planking job :D ):

USS_Syren_Baubericht_165.jpg

I really like how he finished his painting, just brilliant!

I've also just noticed that most of the Victory models have the upper stem painted to black, which is quite a good idea to cover the plywood structure. I'm not quite sure whether my color theme fits the black upper stem, but I think it's good to find a way to cover it, either painting or wood strip ;)

Ian,

Thanks for the idea on the sawdust! I'll try work it out this few days. Anyway, I'll need to fix the planking first

and 'switching tasks' sounds good too! so I won't easily get bored doing same work for a long time ;)

I might now consider switching my annoying job too! haha :D

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

ZyXuz,

It is indeed a good idea to fit the hull planks in shorter lengths. Another useful model to look at is Chuck's Winchelsea which is a close descendant of the Unicorn. Look closely at page 2 and you will see the hull planks don't go the full length.

We will get there in the end. :)  :)  :)  :)

Ian M.

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hull Planking and Gun Port Making

Well, after days and hours fixing the terrible planking.. I've finally done them... phew~~ 

(Thanks again Ian and Mike for your advises! If not, I might now still sitting at home waiting for the timbers.. or worse gave up)

And thank God that the curve can still go correctly. :) This is how she looks like now.

DSC_0121.JPG

Still looking good from a distance, but if you watch it closer you can see a lot of flaws between planks. For smaller flaws, I used the method suggested by Ian, which is to fill them with saw dust and it works well!! :) (Thanks Ian!) Anyway, for larger ones (around 1mm) I think I might need to fix them by wood putty.

I then continued to cutting off the gun ports.

DSC_0126.JPG

The gun port size is 10mm * 11mm, and I made a 'mold' out of plywood so that I can marked all of them in equal size on the hull.

DSC_0129.JPG

I done them in some hours, but the edges of the gun ports don't look smooth, even after sanding.. so, I decided to make gun port frames to cover them. 

DSC_0133.JPG

I made a rectangular block which is 1mm  smaller in both dimension than the gun port to help me produce the frames quicker. For the frames, I used 0.5mm * 3mm walnut strips.

DSC_0134.JPG

Since they are thin enough, I did not cut them into four pieces and glue them on, instead I just bend them. ;)

DSC_0135.JPG

DSC_0136.JPG

Gun ports in place and glued. And then I painted them to red with tape below to prevent unwanted paint to the hull.

DSC_0139.JPG

And then, finished them with 2nd planking. 
Those 'clouds' on the bow are caused by CA glue... I used it because it dries faster than wood glue, but the marks really screw up the ship's exterior. :(

Another shot on starboard.

DSC_0143.JPG

Thanks for viewing! :)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Nice work, and nice save on the planking :)  Did you decide on the color scheme yet?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike :) 

ah... this is what still pondering in my head..

Looking at those fine texture of the woods really make me to change my mind. But I haven't decided yet.. 

However, the white waterline I think is no matter how needed to cover the messy planking

For models with white waterline which I can find in CMB, HMS Fly looks the best for me.. ;)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Hey Sam, 

Coppering was my first thought before the white hull, and then I gave it up due to the difficulty and long hour working of coppering..

Anyway, now it seems like a better idea than the white hull :)  since the planking is not perfect now, I can treat coppering on this ship as a practice for my future build ;)

Really thank you for bringing this up.. I'll seriously put that into consideration 

Thanks!

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Hi Zyxuz,

I'm fairly certain that copper plates were not in use for the Unicorn you are building.  The Unicorn was launched in 1748, and from my Gardiner book on Frigates, it looks like coppering started in 1761 and was more commonplace in the late 1770s.  Just wanted to throw that out there.  If you want to paint it white below the water line, a good Unicorn can be seen on the thread I posted this summer that became a compendium of ideas about the Unicorn kit (there are other ships posted that could serve as other possible samples of color schemes that might work for you):

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2444-quality-of-corel-kits/?p=66398

I'm thinking about going with a color scheme similar to the Pandora build here - with a thick black wale, more black on the ship, like on the rails, spars, and stern, and red for the bulwarks and some of the deck fittings (no coppering of course). 

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2444-quality-of-corel-kits/?p=66523

I'm not really a fan of how Corel has the area around the gunports without a thick wale.  I think if you look at the plans for the Unicorn in the Chapman book, they seem to contemplate a thick wale.  Click here, and then click the picture to zoom in and you can maybe see what I'm talking about:

http://www.sjohistoriska.se/ImageVaultFiles/id_3085/cf_1803/55.JPG

Let us know what you decide :)

Aside from that, I think I'll explore adding small boats and lanterns to my build as another modification. :)

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Hi again Zyxuz,

Since I've been thinking about color schemes too, I took a look through my Gardiner book which uses pictures of models at the RMG, and have been picking out some color schemes that I think can work well with the Unicorn.  Since you're thinking about this too, I thought I would pass them along - hope they are helpful.

1.  Sloop c. 1710:  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66358.html

2.  Sloop c. 1710 (very similar to Corel's scheme for Unicorn):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66359.html

3.  Gualaloupe (very similar to Unicorn):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66470.html

4.  Thames (white painted under thick black wale):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66457.html

5.  Lowestoft (gorgeous ship with white under black wale):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66300.html

6.  Mermaid:  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66279.html

7.  Minerva (uses blue and red accents like you were thinking):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66278.html

8.  Diana (also uses blue and red accents):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66533.html

Just for fun, this Samarang is incredible - one of my favorite models in the Gardiner book:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66666.html

Mike

ZyXuz,

Just back from my travels and am catching up with your log. You are making rapid progress. At this rate you will overtake me in a couple of weeks! :o

I am interested in the port surrounds that you have fitted - they look good. I was debating whilst I was away whether to use stained card or thin walnut on mine but I think I will do the same as you.

Your Unicorn is looking great. :) 

Ian M.

Mike,

Thanks for the good call.. again :)

Really feeling great to have you working on this ship together, and Ian ;)

I opened up MSW in the morning, and then read your replies... OMG those links!!!

They are all superb models! I can stare on 1 ship for like 10-15 minutes!! and I watched them all using my office hours! (yea.. I'm a bad employee :P)

Really thank you for sharing us the links, and they are certainly good references for my colour scheme :)

Anyway, I think you posted the same link on some different ship models...

I think they should be

4. Thames: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66457.html

7. Minerva: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66278.html

8. Diana: http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66303.html

Ya, I can see the thick black wales in the plans :) wonder y Corel skip that part  :huh:

I actually bought a boat from CMB, but I'm not gonna just paint it and put on my ship.. instead I'll treat it as a 'mould', and build one from scratch ;)

Ian,

haha.. modelling is now part of my life, I really have no idea what else to do besides that :P

oh ya, maybe it's also because i'm still single :D so, I'm always free 

Anyway, I'm now pondering on the color scheme.. progress might go slow

Thanks for the compliment :) I think many ships have their port surrounds painted to red

Hope to see yours soon! ;)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

No problem at all - sorry for the bad links, I fixed them in my post :)

*** Sorry again - for some reason, I needed to use the full editor to fix the links.  They should be fixed now.***

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hull Painting

The whole painting process has been uncertain, and it ends up to a result not even close to my previous planning. :P

After a real lot of times of painting and sanding and painting and sanding and painting and sanding, this is what I end up to.. An 1824 HMS Unicorn colour scheme. :)

001.jpg

DSC_0247.JPG

Comparing to the real ship.. which is quite close to USS Constitution and HMS Trincomalee also :)

I always think that showing the natural wood colour will be best for this ship, but due to my hull planking mistakes I'll really need to use dark colour to cover those errors.

Here shows the progress:

Hull is painted to white as previously planned. Around 6-7 layers are applied.

DSC_0180.JPG

A thick black wale is added by using 4 x 4mm black wood strips, and the 'nose' is painted to black too. Anyway, when I wanted to paint the gun port area, the yellow paint that I bought couldn't paste on the wood equally, and caused all the clouds and prints all over the area. I sanded and repainted, but still return the same result. So, I thought of changing a colour scheme... :( 

DSC_0230.JPG

I found that the 1846 HMS Unicorn would be nice to follow too, so I started to work it out on port side. I started by extending the wale area, so that it's touching the waterline; and narrowed the gun port area down to the height of gun port.

DSC_0224.JPG

Here's how it turned out. At this point, I still couldn't get a good mix of red ocher.

DSC_0227.JPG

Two-face :P

DSC_0231.JPG

I searched through my store room, and thank God there is still a unopened of red ocher paint in it :) I applied 2 layers on it.

DSC_0243.JPG

When I was think about what modification should I do to the bow, I found another inaccurate plan about this kit. The bow that showing on the box is different from the instruction plan. As you can see, there are actually 2 gun port lids instead of the ladders. I'm currently planning to follow this one. :) 

DSC_0255.JPG

Anyway, after long hours and days of working on the colour scheme... I've finally done it. Although it's not the scheme that I want the most, but this is the best result I can get.

DSC_0245.JPG

I will continue on the beakhead and stern modification next. :)

Thanks for viewing. ^^

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Nicely painted Zyxuz.   Just curious... on the blotchy paint you were unhappy with, did you use a sanding sealer first? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Anja and Mark :)

Mark,

No, I didn't... in fact, I just googled what a sanding sealer is.. LOL

Learned a new thing today :D

Anyway, the other colours worked well.. only the yellow bother me :(

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

ZyXuz,

Nice paint work. The ship is progressing very well.

As you noted the picture of the Unicorn on the box lid has quite a few differences to the actual model. The first I noted when I got the kit was that on the illustration the ship has hammock cranes but the kit does not.

Some thoughts I have had (for what they are worth :) ) on the bits you are going to modify. 

On the stern - have you considered cutting holes to represent the doorways from the main cabin in to the galleries? If these are modeled without doors fitted or with doors in an open position it would give more light/an extra viewing way for your internal cabin detail.

When I did the bow of my Unicorn I used the 3mm square beech supplied in the kit for the rails. I really struggled to get them in to a reasonable shape and the resulting set of rails look heavy. I think some of the rails should have been 1.5mm square instead. It would have looked much better.

Only a suggestion. :) 

Ian M.

Looks great ZyXuz, paint job came out very well.  I'm sure you're glad to get that step behind you :)   

Mike

Thanks Ian. :)

Regarding the bits... yea, I've taken some ships as reference like Pandora, Diana, and Pegasus on those bits at the belfry area.. Corel one looks a bit rash on that part.. I'd most probably make them align to the belfry :)

For the stern, I still haven't made a decision on what to fill in there, but my first thought was to add 2 more cannons. Anyway, if I do it so, that might affect the design of my stern galleries to fit in that 2 port holes.

Is it the doorway u mean?

1377365334_4139_FT10112_sam_0623_.jpg

it sounds like a good idea too, but that might need a lot of works :D

Thanks for the tips on the beakhead. ;) I think u done it well, Ian.. and I love the 'jaw-ed' rail at the top most. 

I really prefer the way u did compared to the Corel's plan which looks bit 'curly' for me. ;)

Thanks Mike! 

;)

Edited by ZyXuz

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Hello ZyXuz,

I really like your paint scheme. It's nice to see someone do it a little differenty. Variety is the spice of life after all...

You have completed one of the most difficult tasks in building a model ship, the hull. Good luck with the rest of the build!

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Hi again Zyxuz,

Since I've been thinking about color schemes too, I took a look through my Gardiner book which uses pictures of models at the RMG, and have been picking out some color schemes that I think can work well with the Unicorn.  Since you're thinking about this too, I thought I would pass them along - hope they are helpful.

1.  Sloop c. 1710:  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66358.html

2.  Sloop c. 1710 (very similar to Corel's scheme for Unicorn):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66359.html

3.  Gualaloupe (very similar to Unicorn):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66470.html

4.  Thames (white painted under thick black wale):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66457.html

5.  Lowestoft (gorgeous ship with white under black wale):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66300.html

6.  Mermaid:  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66279.html

7.  Minerva (uses blue and red accents like you were thinking):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66278.html

8.  Diana (also uses blue and red accents):  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66533.html

Just for fun, this Samarang is incredible - one of my favorite models in the Gardiner book:

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66666.html

What a nice picture ...I'd like a lot "Minerva " and "Diana"....but it's possible to buy a plan?

By by Gianni

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your compliment :) 

Yea, the Unicorn is really a good model to add on a lot of modification ;) And I got some lucks on the colour

Hi Ollyweb,

I've tried search through CMB, but I can't find any Diana's plan... anyway, I think Pegasus is quite similar to Diana. You can check out some plans here:

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/victory-models-plans.html

;)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Hi ZyXuz

Nice job you have done there on your Unicorn!  ;)

The paint job is just excelent. What sort of paint do you use?

I will follow your built!

Cheers :cheers:

Nick

Nick :cheers:

Model building Projects in progress:

- Hermione la Fayette, Artesania Latina:

- LINK TO Forum (MSW): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2649-hermione-la-fayette-by-nickvn-artesania-latina-second-wooden-ship-built/page-1

- LINK TO Photo album (dutch website): https://modelbrouwers.nl/albums/album/11697/

Just noticed that I missed out Nick and Sam's reply... sorry about that

Thanks all of you :)

I used acrylic paint which is used for mural painting.. they are some leftovers from the school of my parents ;)

I applied at least 3 layers on each color except black.

Cheers

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)