HMS Unicorn by ZyXuz - Corel - Scale 1:75

Cap Square Making

Finally, I got sometime on my update after such a long while. This is done like 2 weeks ago, and now I'm slowly putting up my works here... :)

I started working on it once my copper sheet arrived, and also made a jig to help on. Here's it is.. a short one tho  

DSC_0590.JPG

I cut a 2mm strip from it.

DSC_0591.JPG

And with the aid of my jig to create the curve on it.

DSC_0594.JPG

DSC_0595.JPG

To save time, I made them only for those exposing on the deck. Total of 20 guns, so 40 cap square.

DSC_0597.JPG

I also added nail detail to it, and continued to blacken. :)

DSC_0598.JPG

Thanks for viewing! 

Visit My Blog! 

http://malaysiamodelship.blogspot.com/

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

It's great to see you've returned to the Unicorn, Zyxuz.   Hope all is going well in life and in the shipyard.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nice work ZyXuz, glad to see you back :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi again ZyXuz, hope all is well.  My package from CMB arrived, so now I should have enough thread to finish my Badger.  I also got a few goodies for my upcoming Unicorn build, which I thought I would share with you (and Ian of course), if you don't mind.

For the coat of arms, I ordered A5349, which was listed as 17mm (I think you had ordered A5350, the 27mm one).  The 17mm is pretty close as you can see to the coat of arms on the original cast metal stern piece, but much sharper in definition.

post-1194-0-02777400-1390424663_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-24312200-1390424680_thumb.jpg

For the stern galleries, there is crown that sits on top of the cast metal piece.  It all looks pretty mediocre, so I bought AMND166 (CD166), which is pretty close in size, but again, much better definition.

post-1194-0-00309900-1390424802_thumb.jpg

I also bought a few other items to play around with.  One was the stern decoration for another ship (A5338), which I could use the two ends for decoration around the coat of arms or along the sides of the stern.  I also bought one of Corel's edging strip (CD110, or AMND110), which I might use as accents along the stern.  

post-1194-0-36621700-1390424959_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-48610700-1390424990_thumb.jpg

post-1194-0-05324300-1390425023_thumb.jpg

I probably have more posts on the Unicorn, a ship I haven't even started building, than I do my Badger that I've been building for over five years  ;)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hey Mike,

Million thanks on your sharing :) that really helps me a lot! I'll go with the 17mm coat of arm then B) the size looks perfect. I was planning to buy the crown too, but worried on the detail.. now you helped me solve my doubt. ;) I'll place a new order at probably by tonight!

Thanks again!

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

ZyXuz,

Very nice update. Very creative idea. Looks brilliant.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Sam,

I think there are some strips in correct thickness, but I need wider ones for other purposes. One of them is the belfry like how B.E. did.. :)

020.JPG

I even planned to use it to make the stove, by making the basic shape out of wood first and then only wrap up using the sheet.. lol I tried, and gave up :P will just apply on the belfry i think ;)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

ZyXuz,

Good to hear from you again.

On your stove - if you want an iron stove but don't want to metal bash, have you considered using styrene sheet? It is easy to use, particularly if you use solvent glues. Producing rivet or bolt detail is simple. It produces a good representation of metal work. The down side is that you have to paint it.

Alternatively - the Unicorn may well have had one of the old brick hearths. Remco has made a fine one for his Kingfisher. If you haven't seen it have a look starting  here .  Miniature bricklaying at its best! :) 

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hi ZyXuz, thanks for looking in on my log.  I saw on your blog that you are now on the cannons.  Have you decided on the number of guns that you will add to the ship overall, and whether you are going to use smaller caliber guns for the quarterdeck?  I bought from CMB some smaller Caldercraft guns and carriages for the quarterdeck to see how they would look, but still thinking about what I want to do.

Also, how do you like the cannon carriages?  They actually don't seem all that bad, and it's nice that they are pre-constructed.  It was a bit of a pain to assemble the carriages on my Badger, and there were only 12 guns :)

Mike

Thanks for all the kind words!

Ian,

I've just taken a look on the bricklaying of the kingfisher. It's just AWESOME. really making reconsidering on making it.. haha

Anyway, I'm just back from Chinese New Year mood and currently tidying up my photos and progress.. will update here real soon ;)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Cannon Rigging

Well, after a week of Chinese New Year celebration, and another week before it as preparation, I finally can sit down here and make some updates.

Corel doesn't provide a clear instruction on the cannon rigging, and even the rigging blocks are not coming in correct size. Purchasing them will be really out of my budget, while making 80 of them sounds bit crazy for me, so I decided to make a easier version. :P

I first made me a jig for the rigging before putting them to the deck. The horizontal line marks the level of the eye bolt on the bulwark.

I started the first one on top of the jig as here gives a larger space for me to work on.

DSC_0708.JPG

After making the first knot, I applied glue to secure it before rigging it down.

DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0710.JPG

After this, I transferred it down and did the same on the other one.

DSC_0713.JPG

Done.

DSC_0714.JPG

On the deck. :) From this picture, you can see that I've also added the the waterway and rail, I'll make the update as soon as possible. :)

DSC_0716.JPG

Thanks for viewing. :)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Hi ZyXuz, thanks for looking in on my log.  I saw on your blog that you are now on the cannons.  Have you decided on the number of guns that you will add to the ship overall, and whether you are going to use smaller caliber guns for the quarterdeck?  I bought from CMB some smaller Caldercraft guns and carriages for the quarterdeck to see how they would look, but still thinking about what I want to do.

Also, how do you like the cannon carriages?  They actually don't seem all that bad, and it's nice that they are pre-constructed.  It was a bit of a pain to assemble the carriages on my Badger, and there were only 12 guns :)

I did think of adding them, but still don't have a clear plan.. will make up my mind soon and place an order together with other materials if needed. :) 

Ya, the carriage itself is really well pre-built, saved a lot of my time comparing to other models' :) just that the blocks are just too bad in quality.. not only the blocks for the guns, but all the blocks.. :(

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

ZyXuz,

Beautiful work. So nice to follow along (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I did think of adding them, but still don't have a clear plan.. will make up my mind soon and place an order together with other materials if needed. :)

Ya, the carriage itself is really well pre-built, saved a lot of my time comparing to other models' :) just that the blocks are just too bad in quality.. not only the blocks for the guns, but all the blocks.. :(

The blocks seemed a bit oversized, at least relative to the blocks on my Badger kit.  I'll probably look into replacement blocks.

Mike

• 2 months later...

I'm back!! Finally!! The reason for this long absence is that my dad was diagnosed with a cancer relapse and has been in hospital for nearly 1 month plus.. So, my life was like work and go hospital everyday. Anyway, he's turning a lot better now and I can have more spare time for myself already :) One funny thing was that, Ian did message me in person during the MH370 incident worrying that I might be on that mysterious flight and causing this long absence :P (Anyway, Ian.. Thanks for your concern ;) )

Another news is that I've just resigned from my job, and that will make me have more time on my ship recently :D BUT I'll have no laptop 'cause I was using my company's laptop all the while for both my personal and office stuffs =.=" gonna buy a new one this weekend. I'll need to return it to the company tmr.. so, I'll post the current look of my ship first now and then the progress after I got my new lappy..

It's a bigger leap compared to the last update since there were some progress that I haven't updated here... However, the Unicorn now is just so my version..  :huh:

post-3519-0-19637000-1397061502_thumb.jpg

I added doors under the forecastle to cover the ugly interior.. I'm not sure whether any ship is built with this design? That the stove is inside the 'cabin' or very close to the manger? If so, then I can decide the location of my vent better.. hope anyone can help here :)

post-3519-0-15271200-1397061496_thumb.jpg

Belfry is also added by referring to Pegasus.. but I think I still missed out 2 cleats on the sides of the bell

post-3519-0-49164500-1397061513_thumb.jpg

The bitt 

Also, I've changed the rail to straight down instead of using round ones as instructed in the booklet. This might match my color scheme better

post-3519-0-50502800-1397061960_thumb.jpg

The bow rails and cat heads, which I ald done before CNY but haven't updated here. The one at the starboard side snapped off from position when I show my ship to my little cousin during CNY @.@ Anyway, the rails part is not done yet. I'm hoping to add a thicker rail or a jawed one on top of the others..

Thanks for viewing ;)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

ZyXuz,

It's good to see you back and with good news about your father.  I like the doors under the forecastle, though I'm pretty sure, there never were any.   On the other hand, it dresses up the forecastle nicely.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow ZyXuz,

That is some great work. It is hard to believe that it is from the Corel kit! :o  :)

Good to hear that your father is better (and that you are still alive and kicking! :) )

Ian M.

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hey ZyXuz,

Welcome back and sorry to hear about your father's health. Glad he is on the mend.

As for your model, it's looking splendid. I really like the detail you have added and your interpretation of the kit. As a model boat builder, I believe we are our own bosun/shipwright and captain. Our models are unique to ourselves and we can have our own interpretation as to how they are built and how they look. You are doing a fine job in making yours unique.

Keep up the great work.

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

Thanks all for your kind words.. :)

Just received another good news that my dad can finally discharge from hospital tmr ;) now I will need to clean my house especially my room b4 he sees it LOL

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

Hi ZyXuz,

Nice progress photos on your Unicorn.  Even more importantly, I'm very happy to hear the good news about your father.  Good luck to him!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Selamat pagi to you dear Zyxuz. I just followed up with your wonderful built and same time i  got sad to read about your dad and happy that he is better and could leave hospital. And very good you a re not a frequent traveller to Beijing. What a tragedy. My thoughts are with your family and with the families of MH 370 as well. All the best for you. Hope you will get time and free mind to go on with your unicorn. regards Harry

Zy,

Welcome back. Good news about your dad, thanks for sharing. Even better about you not disappearing (:-) Ship looking very good indeed.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Belfry Making

I've lost track of my updates since some photos of mine are missing... =.= So, I'll just upload part by part. Up till now, I've basically done the forecastle fittings including the catheads.  

Anyway, this is how I make my belfry. I used the beech woods for the bits that came with the kit and 2mm x 5mm walnut strip for the rail. To produce the bits, I mill them with a reverse milling bit to create the head, and then cut them into half.

DSC_0733.JPG

I really don't like the color of the beech wood, but since I'm gonna paint them any wood will do.

DSC_0735.JPG

DSC_0736.JPG

For the crown on the belfry, I cut the original one into 5mm width.

DSC_0740.JPG

The rail..

DSC_0737.JPG

For the headstock, I used the 6mm x 5mm walnut strip which is the same as the cat head, and sand it manually to the shape.

DSC_0741.JPG

DSC_0742.JPG

Well.. it was taller, because I forgot to add the width of the rail in.. :P So, I trimmed them down another 4mm.

And I added a copper piece on the head stock.

DSC_0743.JPG

Install the bell and Done. ;)

DSC_0748.JPG

This is an older photo actually.. compared to my previous post, you can actually see I had added a one more strip at the concave area. 

Thanks for viewing :)

Visit My Blog! 

Previous Build:

HMS Race Horse (Sergal)

Current Build:

HMS Unicorn (Corel)

ZyXuz,

Very nice work. The forecastle area is looking superb. 

I will be doing my belfry soon so this is very useful. I always felt the Corel belfry was on the large side.

Ian M.

Nice work ZyXuz, you're moving right along on the build.  You'll be done by the end of the year at this rate :)

Mike

• 10 months later...

Hi Zyxuz,

I am a retired engineer { fitter/turner} and have just started making model ships. I have just finished making BLUENOSE 2 by Artesania Latina, this is my first model!  The plans are very good, many coloured photos easy to follow. I am now building HMS UNICORN by COREL, I am having the same problems as you, slots in the keel and frames not wide enough, these were milled out to size as I have a small engineers lathe with milling attachment. When the frames are fitted on the keel every one of them sit proud of the top edge of the keel by as much as 5mm down to 2mm, should they not be flush with the top of the keel? also the plain frames # 5 7 9 11 are all too wide!  Could you please advise me.

Regards,

pomy.