Will using a curling iron for plank bending ruin the iron? (Moved by moderator)

Girlfriend doesn't want me to use her curling iron cuz she says it would ruin the iron but I don't see why it would. Any help? Do you think it would? She says if I ruin it I gotta buy her a new one so Id rather go buy a cheap one for my planks if it really will ruin her nice'ish one.

Hello SpencerC

I don't think so, but I can not fully assure that, as I have used mine for a very short time. What I can say is that it's the best method I have found to bend planks. I suggest you buy your own. They are not that expensive.

Here's a link to mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050QLCSI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ulises

post-975-0-64272700-1380712089_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-08848100-1380712111_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-80051100-1380712124_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Wow! That seems to work really well Ulises.

Indeed! Of course what you are seeing in the photo is an exaggerated curve, but it goes to show just how far you can go with it.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Maybe someone with experience will answer, I also would like to know about the moisture content needed for putting a curve in  planks when using a curling iron. I do know that in full scale, when wood needs to be bent, it is placed in a steamer of some type and left for a time. While in the steamer a wood piece will absorb moisture and heat. The curling iron provides the heat for bending, leaving moisture content to something else, in the model world,  heat alone may be all that is needed when using a curling iron.

jud

Tony and jud. I did not wet the wood in this example. I have to say it was a very soft wood, the kind used in first planking jobs. For harder wood, I would let it soak in water for several minutes, how much depending on how hard the wood. Adding ammonia to the water accelerates the whole process. Steam is another way to soften the wood. 

No you absolutely have to have water. With softer, thinner, woods it may not be necessary but anything 1/16 or over needs to be soaked for 10-20 minutes, the harder and thicker the wood is the closer to 20 minute you will need to soak. Also try to soak in warm water if at all possible. I just leave the sink on with hot water running and let the planks just sit under the running faucet. Immediately after taken out of the water use whatever source of heat you have to bend them as you do not want them to dry out. Too much drying and re-wetting can cause the wood to get waterlogged which is NOT good and will make ur wood look horrible. You only want to wet the wood one time if possible, and steam is definitely the best choice as that will not waterlog the wood as much

Edited by SpencerC

I've said it before and I'll say it again...guys please leave our curling irons alone :) while it won't ruin them we really like our girl things....but don't worry they are really inexpensive at walgreens and rite aid! 

I'm with Spence...I find it much better to have planks that have soaked for awhile before bending either manually or electrically.  This doesn't mean you must...but I find it is much easier.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg