Black Pearl by DSiemens - FINISHED - Metal Earth

I was at a hobby shop for the Rocky Mountain Shipwrights show.  It was a Wednesday night so it was pretty slow.  I noticed they had some of these Metal Earth models so I decided to try it out.  I finished it in the three hours that I was there.  It seems there is some interest in this forum for these ships so I took a lot of pictures to do a build log.  

I want to point out that this ship looks an awful lot like the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean Black Pearl.  It is not Disney trade marked.  I wondered about that at first and found the answer on the back of the package.  It read's, "There once was a real ship named the Black Pearl captained by Henry Morgan.  one of the world's most notorious pirates. The Black Pearl which first sailed in 1669 fought many battles, the most famous of which was an invasion in Panama in 1671."  So keep in mind that this is Henry Morgans Black Pearl not Jack Sparrow's.  They look an awful lot alike but they're not.  Wink wink ..nod nod.  So yea it's a knock off but since it's sold in the US so I think it's a legal knock off.  

20131002_160258.jpg

Here's what came in the package.  Two metal sheets and instructions.  

20131002_160453.jpg

It's a little backwards you start with the masts.  

20131002_161407.jpg

20131002_162129.jpg

The hardest part about this ship is the tiny metal tabs.  I do a lot of small stuff but these gave me some real trouble.  If you decide to do one have a good pair of strong tweezers.  

20131002_164112.jpg

Now you put on the hull.  The instructions are vague on this part.  Use the stand for the ship to figure out how wide the base should be.  Since I didn't do this the bottom of mine is to thin which makes the stand useless.  Also watch the tabs.  Pre bend them to fit especially in the bow.  That part took me way to long because I didn't set up for it.  Also if you can glue the pieces together then bend that tabs that may be easier then just bending.  

20131002_164802.jpg

Getting the hull together was the hardest part.  Watch your tabs and know where they're going before you put the pieces together.  Make sure they are bent in the right direction.  

20131002_172744.jpg

Then the back piece and the sails.  The sails were a bit of a pain to get through the rigging.  Have patience they do fit.  

20131002_190059.jpg

20131002_190149.jpg

20131002_190130.jpg

So their you have it.  I Jerry rigged the stand to work sort of.  I made a little better when I got home.  For $16 it's not a bad little model.  Definitely an attention grabber. I'm sure Jack Sparr...er Captain Morgan would be proud.  

Edited by DSiemens

Daniel, that is a sharp little kit. Too bad they don't make these in a way to put in one of your bottles.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Yea I thought of that. With metal rigging the way it is it would be impossible. I thought about just using the hull and building the mast and rigging but for the price I may as well carve one out myself.

That's really cute.  Might spark some interest in sailing ships for the younger modelers.  I'm glad to see it!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956