I need a Clew

isali

I am rigging up my Jeff Davis Model (FInally) and I am at my favorite part, rigging all the lines, after the shrouds are done.

THe Fore Yard looked a little bare with just the lifts so I added Clews and sheets.  (no Sails)

The Clew runs up from the deck to the topsail yard and the sheet runs up the the main yard,  If there were sails, these lines would terminate at the top and bottom corners of the sails.   Without sails the lines must connect in some "temporary" way.

My question is - without sails what have folks done to join these two lines?  I made a few hooks which looks nice but I was wondering if there was a better idea. thanks

Ira

These lines are shackled together when the sails are off, with the clew line running through a pair of blocks and positioned nearer the yard ie: the clew line is shorter and near to its respective yard, the sheet is longer running up through a sheave at the outer end of the yard below.

Hope this helps

Gary

These lines are shackled together when the sails are off, with the clew line running through a pair of blocks and positioned nearer the yard ie: the clew line is shorter and near to its respective yard, the sheet is longer running up through a sheave at the outer end of the yard below.

Hope this helps

Gary

Hope this helps

Gary

Shackles for anchor chain cables were in use in merchant ships by the 1830's, but I'm not sure when they were introduced into normal rigging practice.

If they were in use by the 1850's (is that the right period for your ship), then a standard 'D' shackle would be used - if shackles weren't in general use in rigging by then, then the sheet and clew line would simply be tied together.

John