Hi guys,

I am contemplating on using castello boxwood for the stem and keel of a POB build, then using basswood for the hull planking. I'd like to request the opinions of members with experience using both woods if combining the them will likely give an aesthetically acceptable color combination. I've seen builds combining boxwood plus swiss pear and boxwood plus holly, but have yet to see boxwood plus basswood. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Thanks Brian, I'm still in the process of getting some info before purchasing my timber. I've been looking everywhere but can't seem to see any picture of boxwood and basswood placed side by side.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Aldo-  are you going to stain either or both woods?  I have some of each in the shop and could make a mock up for you.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thank you very much for offering a mock-up, Augie, I would very much appreciate that  :D

I plan to leave both woods in natural color if their colors blend nicely.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

I'll put something together for you.  Should have it on here by my morning.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

OK, here's what we have.  I edge glued 1/4" strips of boxwood and basswood together.  In the photos, the boxwood is on TOP.

This first photo is the bare woods, just sanded:

post-56-0-25556800-1380940746_thumb.jpg

The lighting is a mixture of incandescent and fluorescent...... no flash.  The boxwood has a 'richer' look but they are quite similar.

The second photo is after a coat of Minwax Pre-stain and then a coat of Minwax Natural stain:

post-56-0-32628300-1380940923_thumb.jpg

Still very close, colorwise.  The boxwood is, of course, harder and holds an edge better.

Hope this helps and best of luck :)

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I thought basswood was for the first planking as its soft and sandpapers easily. 

On a double-planked hull, you would probably be right.  However, Chuck's work with basswood for planking has impressed many folks, me included.  The Syren and Confederacy use basswood hull planking and they look pretty good.  I would think that the softness would be an issue long-term as it would be easy to ding it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you so much for those pictures, Augie, I really appreciate it :D

I think they're a pretty good match.

Mark, I thought of using boxwood for the stem and keel pieces because of its strength, and then using basswood for the hull planking since it looks pretty close to boxwood, but is much cheaper and can be edge-bent (a cheaper alternative to spiling from sheet).

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

I think you're right on the mark Aldo.  The almost imperceptible difference in tone should work for you anyway.  Glad I could help.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Aldo,

It's your call and a tough one at that.  I guess it boils down to the choices based on the criteria.  If cost is the issue, go with basswood.   There's trade-offs no matter which wood you pick.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Augie, Chris, and Mark  :)

Mark, cost effectiveness is one consideration, I guess I am a bit wary at using an expensive wood for the first time, for my first scratchbuild (too many firsts seems a bit risky  ;) ). But then again, I plan to also work on my HMS Fly kit (I used this kit as a keel- and stem-donor to my Pegasus but I'm now a bit confident to cut some new keel/stem for Fly). I may have a chance to try out boxwood here before using it on my scratchbuild.

Chris, I understand that you used both swiss pear and boxwood for your Confederacy(beautiful work by the way, she looks great :))

I found swiss pear to be very forgiving to sharp edge-bending and managed to use it in lieu of spiling from sheet.

Based on your experience with both woods, do you suppose castello boxwood can also tolerate this amount of edge bending?

Thanks very much again guys.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build: