Phantom by MikeB4 - Model Shipways - scale 1:96

• 2 weeks later...

I have a minor set back, when I did a dry fit of everything that goes on the poop deck there's not enough room length wise. I'm going to try thinning a little more off of the width of the cap rail Aft and I'm going to build a smaller wheel house. I hope this will give me enough room to fit everything. This is where patients is virtuous.  

Just opened the Phantom, my very first attempt at building a wooden ship kit.  One question; how does one know the depths and angles to cut wood away form the bottom of the hull when shaping?   Simple question, but I don't want to mess this up.  Thanks for the assist.   Jim

wow mike u are doing vary well so far great work rember just take your time keep the pic comming

Just opened the Phantom, my very first attempt at building a wooden ship kit.  One question; how does one know the depths and angles to cut wood away form the bottom of the hull when shaping?   Simple question, but I don't want to mess this up.  Thanks for the assist.   Jim

I started by shaping the stern first and getting that right then slowly working from the #5 template back . fairing the hull is a very time consuming task just take a little at a time off and keep on checking it with the templates. Working from the center back and then from the center forward seem to work really well for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking Good Shipmate and I have my eye glued to this. Looking at the hunks of wood is intimidating to say the least. Oh boy looking foreward to starting.  Oh and don"t worry about the difficulties, since calm seas never make good Sailors.

Chief

Author of the Submarine Thrillers

OF ICE AND STEEL and EPITAPH

Looking Good Shipmate and I have my eye glued to this. Looking at the hunks of wood is intimidating to say the least. Oh boy looking foreward to starting.  Oh and don"t worry about the difficulties, since calm seas never make good Sailors.

Chief

Thank you, I believe most of us took on this hobby because of how challenging it is. I'd certainly swear a lot less if I got into 500 piece puzzles instead,but that won't a good sailor either.

Edited by MikeB4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mike im also getting into the hobby. My first half build was the prince before it got destroyed by a flood. Im going to start on the Phanthom. Its great reading your logs and gives me confidence. In a few minutes after I get off the forum im heading straight to modelexpo. The sales they have going now are to good to pass up. I will be closely watching you.

John

• 2 months later...

Those look very good. It is always good when you can bring your own enhancements to the kit. Great work.

Russ

I also manufactured my own windlass ( I think that's what it's called ) I didn't care for the one provided. It's funny with this hobby, there are times I think I'll never look at another model again but then I sit down, work it out, I feel good about it again.

post-7274-0-65145600-1401054805_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeB4

That looks pretty good. It is important that you are creating something for yourself and having fun doing it.

Russ

Looking good Mike. I am doing the same thing- don't like how some of the kit parts look or even how it tells me to build it. In the process of making my own. It does make you feel good when you can make something better!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 3 weeks later...

I've installed the stove pipe and guard rods. the guard is a little higher than what is shown in the plans, I don't think that really matters to much as long as is looks OK.

post-7274-0-51508600-1402869458_thumb.jpg

Your deck fixtures are coming along well. Scale is important, but how it looks is the final measuring stick. Good work.

Russ