14 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

too light but I picked up some Holly thins to try a go at the bowsprit.

Since Degame is impossible to source,  3/4" plank of planed unfigured Hard Maple and a froe - stock for spars.

I have a plank of Hard Pine -  it was old when I got it from Grampa in 1972.  Straight grain - the Spring wood is blond, the Summer wood is red and rock hard. 

For a mast,  the spacing looks like it is a made mast.

I've been asked recently who are my sources... so here's a list.   The market is pretty volatile  and if you see a place with the wood you want, buy it, don't wait.  As an example, I found some cherry on a hardware store site and bought some, a week later.... all gone and they don't know if they can get any more.   

There may be some dead links in here as even they change.  One not on here is Syren Ship Model only because probably everyone here knows of them.

All Righteous Woods
Bod Nosen
Colonial Hardwoods, Inc.
CookWoods
Dyes
Exotic Wood, Birdseye Maple, Curly Maple & Tiger Maple Bell Forest Products
Gilmer Wood Company
Griffin Exotic Wood--High Quality Exotic Woods
Groffslumberr
hearnehardwoods.com-
Inlay Banding, Ebony and Holly Wood Products
Kettle Moraine Hardwoods, Inc., Hartford, WI
Midwest Products
National Balsa Wood Co- Balsa wood, Basswood, Mahogany, Architectural Models, Model RC Aircraft, Savox Servos
Ocooch Hardwoods - Supplier of Thin Wood for Scroll Sawing, Carving Blocks, Intarsia wood, Plywood for scroll sawing, and more.
Rare and Exotic Lumber in Maine - Rare Woods USA
Rare Woods USA
Rockler.com
S.H. Goode & Sons Workshop
Specialty Wood Exotic Lumber Exotic Woods - Keim Lumber
The Wood Database
Tropical Exotic Hardwoods
Welcome to the World of Hardwoods
Wood Project Source - milled wood sheets and strips and wood carving blocks
woodcraft.com-
Woodfinder® Marketplace
Woodworkers Source for Imported, Rare, Specialty, Exotic Wood

Gilmer Wood Company
  • 6 months later...
3 hours ago, RichardG said:

Cookwoods have holly on sale at the moment. I have got wood from them in the past and have been pleased with the quality. Never bought holly from them though and my wallet is a bit empty at the moment.

https://www.cookwoods.com/collections/holly

Even on sale I would not buy Holly from here, it's too expensive.  Buy it from Gilmer Wood (link in the first post).

Example - Cookwoods has a 2" x 2" x 12" turning square on sale for $55.99 (A Grade) or $65.99 (Premium Grade).  No picture of the actual piece you will get.

Gilmer has a 1-7/8" x 2-7/8" x 23-3/8" piece of American Holly for $56.90.  You can see pictures of the exact piece you will be getting and select the one you want (all different dimensions/prices).

More than twice as much wood for basically the same price or cheaper at Gilmer.

Shop around guys!

In some locations there are single-owner shops that carry hardwoods and 'exotics'.  You have to google several ways and look at the maps expanded to your drivable range ... then check them out.  Some non-chain hobby stores have old stock laying around.  I knew one that I scored some materials at, then it nearly went out of existence when the owner wanted to get out of the business - but one of his sons took it over, and has moved twice as he changed the business to accommodate changing hobby fads, etc.  There is less stuff there now, but still a local source for basic hobby building.

3 hours ago, Gregory said:

Found this Googling..

Bell Forest

image.png.d4342897c1690f25b6c52222255b5cfa.png

P.S. 

It's hard to Google " Holly Wood "..  Guess why? 😁

Try " Holly lumber " 

Looks like some good pricing here, and they sell by board foot in 4/4 or 8/4 lumber (if they actually have any), which might be a good deal for anyone looking for larger than 1x1x12 pieces.  For small turning blanks those are excellent prices if the quality is good.

• 3 weeks later...