US Brig Niagara by ajromano - Model Shipways - 1:64

Welcome to our Niagara club! I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing some pictures of your work in progress.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Ajromano,

WELCOME to the Niagara club! Here, you will find plenty of help and friendly advice as you build your ship. Enjoy the build and do not get into a big hurry.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

AJ, It's good to see some pictures. I think you are off to a good start as well. We're looking forward to seeing more progress on your Niagara.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

AJ, your off to a good start. Thanks for the photo update.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hi AJ,

Looks like good progress. Your shop looks like it's set up and organized well.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

20 clamps for 5 bucks, I bought 2! I thoughy there was a bit of silly humor in the clamp mania!

The work area is not bad at all, good light and TV! I do have too many items in there and rest of house 25 years of toys! I am finding this a pretty easy build the first bulkhead was the real work. I ordered a Jim Baryn's sander, my old dremmel moves around too much, it was my Dad's and must be 40 years old.

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Yeah, the blocks they supplied for the stern fillers are way over-sized...   I cut mine in half first (like, cut off what sticks out past bulkhead Q), then traced the lines and hit it pretty hard with the Dremel sanding drum.  Then sanding & filing to get them down to their final shape.  To help make sure they're both the same, try placing them side by side when sanding- use calipers or a good eye to check for symmetry.  :)

Same for the bow fillers.  Also, make sure that the inside corners of the blocks are square so you get a good tight fit with the keel & bulkheads (also helps with making sure the port & starboard sides are the same).  :)

Hi AJ,

The stern was a challenge for me also. I cut mine like Rich said above and made a second cut after tracing a templete to get closer to the desired shape before sanding. If you l look at page one of my build you'll get a better idea of what I'm describing. I took photos of every step in case it would help others. I'm very much a novice at this but it worked out ok for me.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Yeah, the 3D curves were weird...  at first I thought I had it figured out, then my brain choked and couldn't see how to do it exactly...  so I just traced the curves/lines from the plans, then took the Dremel to take out the chunk of material in the middle to start, then just sanded the rest of the way in...

Maybe our CAD guys can help with some 3D printing of filler blocks...  but where's the fun in that?  ;)

I bought a cheap scroll saw just for cutting out the filler blocks;  I glued copies of the side view curves to the common square side, then cut along each curve.  What I wound up with was a very rough approximation to the block, but it was much easier to visualize then.  A good amount of "Plan Staring" is necessary to finish the job... :mellow:

I bought a cheap scroll saw just for cutting out the filler blocks;  I glued copies of the side view curves to the common square side, then cut along each curve.  What I wound up with was a very rough approximation to the block, but it was much easier to visualize then.  A good amount of "Plan Staring" is necessary to finish the job... :mellow:

Funny, like hours!

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

post-6584-0-92613500-1382075855_thumb.jpgpost-6584-0-36991900-1382075858_thumb.jpgpost-6584-0-09601000-1382075854_thumb.jpgpost-6584-0-69659000-1382075860_thumb.jpgI made a sanding block for inside curve. This is a piece of a changable sign from an office building, I sanded off holder part and CA glued 400 grit.

The 4 steel blocks are from Modrl Expo, work very good holding bulkheads. They were on sale for next to nothing, 3 bucks vs 17.

A little side project, again on sale. Model Expo has great sales on Sunday, Monday abd Tuesday. I check often and think there is a pattern for really good sales. /////my guess is they try to keep x dollars of sales daily.

Edited by ajromano

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Trains for my entire life, RC everything, plastic models, handyman and computer guy. I have 10 life times of kits and toys, it was 5 until my dad passed in 09! Now I have all his stuff as well!

I had to fix up work area due to 88 million sticks in this kit.

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.