US Brig Niagara by ajromano - Model Shipways - 1:64

I am to point of wishing to start over I have ideas on how to do this faster and with better quality. 1st time with anything is huge OOOhhh.!![

attachment=95664:DSC_3616.JPG]

Edited by Tony Romano

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

post-6584-0-94200600-1382505407_thumb.jpgpost-6584-0-94047200-1382505405_thumb.jpgpost-6584-0-32755300-1382505410_thumb.jpg

After reading Bob's build I decided to try a little washing test. One sample has CA on surface other does not. The sample with fake nail holes also has faked joint. I used MS latex paint and tap water. I think the proper way to do washes on wood is to seal with sanding sealer, sand then use solvent based paint thinned 10:1 or so or use ink thinned. Washing will show all glue spots, I am now thinking washing over painted deck vs raw wood maybe better. Bass is really not a stain grade wood, too much like sponge. The sample without nails has slight beveled edge to expand joint, I did a pass or two with 400 grit on block.

post-6584-0-60199900-1382505403_thumb.jpg

More clamp mania!

Edited by Tony Romano

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Tony, your progress is looking great. I read the first statement at the top of this page and I have to admit, I feel the same with mine and I think most of us think the same thing with every build. I like the treenailed version of planking you have done. The treenails are a good color and are appropriately small in my opinion.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Tony- I agree with what Patrick said.  For most, if not all builders, everyone has  "what the heck? how do I___??" moments.  But your work is excellent, so you shouldn't worry.  ;)  I know framing and planking takes a good while, but it's well worth it if you're patient and believe in yourself (and your plan).  :)  

Nice touch with the treenails- they really do make a difference.  Maybe I'll try that on my next build.  :)

Awesome shop- you're definitely all set to tackle whatever gets thrown your way!!  ;)

I have plenty of skill, it is experience with ships I lack. The sample wood is much bigger than planking on actual ship. I am planning on using some kind of jig and mini drill press if I do fake nails on entire ship. I think however with this Bass wood, painting is going to be way to go. Adds protection a hard shell layer.

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Tony:  Slow is the way to go.  No race here amongst our crowd!  I have found with wooden model ship building, (for me, at least)  it takes about 50 minutes of going over plans, researching,  testing the fitting, painting, sanding, sizing of parts, going over plans again, looking over the build; etc. etc... Before spending 10 comfortable and confident minutes of actually working on the ship itself.  So, look at everone's build logs and their pictures of the stern; make some copies and cut out the sections and actually affix them to your blocks.  (I've found glue sticks for elementary school works well for this, as you can usually just peel off the paper after shaping the part.)

post-3909-0-08020700-1383025660_thumb.jpg

Yep- slow, but steady ahead~~  It took me about 3 years to finish planking just the hull, so I wouldn't worry about things taking some time.  :)  Besides, the patience shows in your work, and it looks great!!!  Bob has a good point:  most of the time is spent looking at plans, researching, and figuring things out.  The small percentage of time is actual wood work.

Plus, he has a nifty idea for those darn stern filler blocks!!!!!!  ;)

But relax, be patient, and above all- have fun!!

Thanks guys! I spent hours on line and reading finially found some really decent photos of stern. I actually have worked out plan for completing it! Working on filler for deck and made a building pin board with photo copy of deck. I am going to try laying out deck off ship for ease of access.

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Glad I was able to get into this build early on. I'm doing the USf Confederacy first, then the Niagara, then the HMS Surprize. At least that's the plan for the foreseeable future! Being originally from Ohio, The US Brig Niagara has a special place in local history, even now living in Wisconsin :). Look forward to following along!

Bill Hime 

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Laying the deck off the ship first may help with the planking, but could also cause some height issues later on.  Planking the deck on the ship and then staining/cutting holes, etc. isn't too hard- the curves are gentle and there's room to work.  

Are you going to include butts in your deck planks, or run them as full-length strips?

Rich -- Thinking butts, also I will do glueing on actual ship. Building board is for dry fitting.

Ken -- That is what filler blocks are about. I maybe over killing here, but I have vision of poking a hole in hull or deck durning build or future cleaning. I mistakenly assumes all kits were doubl planked.

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

I pretty much boched up the last bulkhead and with prior mistakes decided to scrap hull. I took advantage of free replacement parts and ordered replacements today. This was a good trainging experience, I got to try some ideas and learn what not to do! I could have worked around my errors and repaired or cut new bulkheads but decided I did not have free time. So many projects and attempting to date after divorce all takes time.

Edited by Tony Romano

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Aw, man- that sucks!  Your framing looked good- what was wrong with the bulkhead???  From your pics, everything looked like it was shaping up very well!!  Thankfully ME is awesome with their parts-replacement and customer service!!!  :)

So "projects and attempting to date after divorce"- that'd be time consuming and I can only imagine your difficulties (not to mention one's focus is all over the place).

Perhaps try the Zen approach to modeling:  relax, breathe, and center the mind.  I find connecting with the wood to be very soothing and almost meditative.  :)  It definitely helps wash away the stress and scatter-brain.  :)

We're all pulling for ya, so don't stress about the build (or life)- we're here for ya!!!

post-6584-0-25251700-1384410460_thumb.jpgpost-6584-0-83388900-1384410456_thumb.jpg

I changed my mind and am attempting to salvage current hull after encouragement from Rich and Danny. I did not like the Basswood single plank design, from past builds of airplanes and small boats I know Bass is very soft and does not hold edge. Using ¼” square to reinforce bulkheads in conjunction with my balsa filler for deck created a major sanding project. I was also very concerned with quality and precision of deck support. I also made mistakes on stern and had decided just to order new parts rather than take time to correct flaws. Last I used Howard Sicard’s website as reference and there got very good instruction on how to build stern. Above is 2am yesterday after 4 hours of sanding and adding sub-decking. My new Jim sander helps tons! Getting 100% true edge on filler blocks is great.

post-6584-0-71642800-1384410767_thumb.jpg

This is my old sander.

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Tony- excellent progress there with the fixes and the improved sub-deck.  :)  You've definitely got the hang of it, and most of that is patience and being able to see and fix one's mistakes.  :)  I think you're on the right track now and can pick up some steam.  

I know- the basswood is a bit too soft- always fuzzy and can't quite get that exact sculpted look.  This being my first wood kit ever, I am still highly inexperienced with the different types of wood and grains, but I think hard woods are the way to go next time.  :)  But for planking the hull, once all the planks are in and the hull is sanded, there's not much of a problem, especially since the hull is painted.

And yes, I am still highly envious of your shop- well-equipped, spacious, and clean.  (Mine's all packed up into two plastic tupperware bins for the time being...)

It's great to see you moving along- looking really good!!!  :)

She's looking good Tony and the shop, unlike mine is neat and organized!

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Tony,

Things are really moving nicely, (always easy to say from behind a keyboard,lol). I think the addition of a false deck was spot on and should allow you to do some really nice detailing on the finished product.

Oh, I love the sander! Shop's nice as well :)

Warm Regards,

Bill

Passion is Patience...and I am a carpenter in any scale.

Current build;  Endurance - 1:70 scale, Occre

Current build;    H.M.S. Surprise - 1796, 1:48 A L

Two nights ago I was sanding away on my lower stern filler and pondering how to check lines of hull. I noticed that the entire hull had slight bow that was not there in past. I assume the bow was caused because I did not use exact fill methods on each side. When I arrived home yesterday the replacement parts from Model Expo had arrived. I decided to stop work on 1st hull, but not scrap just yet and try 2d build with lessons learned from 1st. Tonight I did all the keel glueing and all reference line layout work. I am very pleased with progress and now have confidence in exactly what is best method to install and true up bulkheads. In hindsight I see my 1st hull was too sloppy and I actually was using conflicting methods. Sub-deck maybe good idea, but my methods were less than optimal. I am actualling leaning towards changing deck to better wood.

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Tony,

Your doing a nice job, and like the rest of us you are learning from the mistakes we all make. You can always make it better because of what you have learn that is the beautiful thing about this hobby with wood "You can always re-do what you did". I like your workshop setup, very nice.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Yes learming is the main goal with this build. The most important lesson I've learned on this build is yellow glue turns Bass wood to mush! Going forward I will do my best to not use Bass it is too soft. I even applied a thin Epoxy coating to my keel to get some strength back into the wood. Next post I'll report how it worked.

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

Thinned epoxy did firm up Basswood nicely.

Replacement parts seem to be a slightly thicker and better plywood. After learning on first go this hull is shaping up nicely.

post-6584-0-65709400-1385445554_thumb.jpg

Not a Jim saw but seem ok for not so perfect work.

post-6584-0-95212900-1385445781_thumb.jpg

Ripped 1/8" Bass to 1/2" cut in 3 sanded to length and smooth. I bought bulk wood on sale a couple months ago just to have around. Finally needed it!

I also ripped some Rosewood to about 1/8". This saw is nice quite, handy for lite work but not really up to level to do major mill work. Maybe with different blade and insert mod it can do thinner rips. It was only $130 bucks and does basic stuff I need today, $600 for Jim saw is too much right now.

post-6584-0-69554700-1385445903_thumb.jpg

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

post-6584-0-18478500-1385534965_thumb.jpg

The little Proxxon saw did very well ripping some planks out of 1/8" x 1" x 12" strip from local woodworking store!

post-6584-0-64276700-1385535133_thumb.jpg

post-6584-0-81535600-1385535100_thumb.jpg

Worked on bulkheads A-D tonight.

Stern assembly and some of my testing saw on hardwoods. Fun stuff!

Edited by Tony Romano

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

• 2 weeks later...

post-6584-0-49587000-1386402660_thumb.jpg

I found this nice set on micro carving tools, US made, great edge. Very handy on bow making slots in filler blocks for false knightheads. (is that right term?)

I got side tracked in "Bowsprint", that turned into a three night project! Very interesting attempting to get "true" hex, taper, flat and round all on one little 6" board! I bought a Cherry and one other 3/8' square 2' long to use instead of Bass. I find Bass too soft to work with because it is too easy to over sand or cut. I can see where a mill would really help!

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

• 6 years later...