Wintergreen

So Where Do You Do Yours Then (Model making That Is)

Where do you do yours then?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you do yours then?

• On the kitchen table.
    • On the living room table.
    • Other living area facility.
    • In the basement.
    • In the attic.
    • In the garage.
    • In a workshop.
    • In the patio (yes, I've seen it before).
    • Other...

5 hours ago, wefalck said:

Looking at these pictures, it makes me wonder what makes (adult) people piling up this amount of kits.

Humans are sentient beings with a free will so I would venture to guess there are numerous reasons why, but to some degree or another it has to do with stimulation of one or more of the five senses.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Humans are sentient beings with a free will so I would venture to guess there are numerous reasons why, but to some degree or another it has to do with stimulation of one or more of the five senses.

To me it sounds - or looks - more like the craving for ownership ... mine ... mine ... mine (I have a small stash to)

18 minutes ago, cog said:

To me it sounds - or looks - more like the craving for ownership ... mine ... mine ... mine (I have a small stash to)

I buy, sell, and trade. I look for and find estates of deceased modelers, buy their collections for pennies on the dollar then resell for a profit. 😐

I started my stash while I was raising my first family and had no time for modeling. Then I added more when it became obvious that the kits were becoming hard to find and I was still having kid/space issues, (For building and displaying). 

Now I am on my third generation of kids, still have a limited building and display area but seem unable to quench the desire to build so still buy kits that interest me. I am not as smart as Craig and do not sell any of them, I give one away now and then but that is about all, so the storage has become so large that It is hard to even go in and pet them now and then.

I suspect I have gone past builder and collector and am presently entering into hoarder status. :(

On 7/13/2019 at 1:30 AM, cog said:

🤦‍♂️

Edited by Richmond

To Richmond from Darwin.

Great to see an old Grimsby Trawler on here - and docked in Australia too!

I always wanted to build this, but my Weathering techniques aren't good enough to do it justice (as in they are currently non-existant!!) and as you will see below, a trawler without any dents and rusts just isn't a trawler (and the one in the picture is in good nick too!!)

Samarian_GY445.jpg

Edited by JRB9019

Thanks  John - I am struggling with the build (I have dropped it /knocked it over twice) and it is really a horrible kit and not an enjoyable build

I was just completing the rigging and knocked it over for the second time and bits come flying off everywhere - a testament to my poor gluing techniques or just the poor fitting and constructability of the model generally. I will ensure I will construct my own base on any future ship models - that way it will be more stable and probably easier to build.

I hope to have the finished model to show in a week or so. To tell you the truth I just want to get it finished and will forget the weathering and just put on the shelf. I think you can see it in the background of one of my work space photographs minus the top deck which is now sitting forlorn behind it!

I really do not recommend purchasing it.

Richmond.