Wintergreen

So Where Do You Do Yours Then (Model making That Is)

Where do you do yours then?  

583 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you do yours then?

• On the kitchen table.
    • On the living room table.
    • Other living area facility.
    • In the basement.
    • In the attic.
    • In the garage.
    • In a workshop.
    • In the patio (yes, I've seen it before).
    • Other...

I present ..."Sanctuary"...a closed off corner in the basement measuring about 8' x 15' or so...its getting more and more cramped (cozy?) but still quite functional and has been a work in progress for about 5 years.

JP

post-481-0-48203800-1372694842_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-30102900-1372694881_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-68703100-1372694908_thumb.jpg

post-481-0-06124500-1372694939_thumb.jpg

These are all nice neat shops. Mine stays a mess!

The admiral has a unique way to keep her workroom ( A whole bedroom!) nice and neat. Whenever she has a project she does it on the dinning room table. Complaining will get me keel-hauled, but at least she never makes a comment about mine.

Ed

Well If you dig back a few pages you will find my entry on this subject. I had this wonderful purpose built shipyard. But all things must change. We have now sold that house and for the past 6 weeks we have been settling into our new home that is 1/3 smaller. Our new location has almost no yard and it is a rental. so there is no place for a separate shop. So I have gone from this -post-1088-0-92888300-1373084098_thumb.jpg

To this -

post-1088-0-09520600-1373084315_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-36951900-1373084335_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-97049600-1373084353_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

I should also explain that in a compromise with the Admiral (who hates sawdust). I have a work table in the Office (bedroom). But there can not be any sawdust there. And as it happens her car doesn't fit in the garage! :P So all the heavy tools are there! Here are some pictures of the "office". I guess I am not too bad off. :D

post-1088-0-87811000-1373084595_thumb.jpg

I should also mention for those interested. We put Cork tiles on the wall so I could mount my plans etc. You can see both my current project and my daydream project on the wall. Lastly there is a framed picture between the window and the cork. This is a photo of General Washington's HQ at Valley Forge. I had the wonderful experience of spending lots of time there in the winter several years ago. It is hard to tell in the pictures. But also on the wall is a framed photo of my dad's ship in the US Navy, DD 763.

Now its time to get back to modeling!! I am back!

:cheers:

post-1088-0-11043700-1373084565_thumb.jpg

post-1088-0-51880700-1373084582_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Floyd, wow.... even though going from the big nice house with separate workshop, it looks like you have been able to get some space to yourself for modelling.

Now you have two different work areas to choose from.  That's not bad. And you seem to have the layout done to.

Looking forward to see your new place.

Per - There is still a guest room in this house. So you are welcome anytime. Kai is coming today. Sorry you and Mary couldn't make it. Let me know when you are going to be this side of the mountains. The best part about all the above is that the Honey Do projects are dying down and I can focus on Boats.

Floyd

It's good to see you back in business after a long hiatus. Looks like you have done well with the setup under the circumstances.

Bob

I have delayed posting this whilst I was building HMS Diana, but now she is finished and the workshop has had a severe cleaning and it now portrays the image of a well laid out tidy efficient place to work rather than the "where the heck have I put that down" or "which clean bit can I put this in" type of place that it normally is... Here goes.. This is what should be the forth bedroom of my house. The Captain has allowed me to split the room in two with a small stud wall and in reward I get a workshop and she gets a small library area and computer study room.

post-149-0-11256100-1376047120_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-89896000-1376047177_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-22857300-1376047252_thumb.jpg

So... on wards and upwards ready to start my next build which will be Amati's 1/16th scale New Bedford Whale Boat... my plan is to start a build log so watch this space.

Sarge

Edited by Sarge

mij,

Can you give me information such as manufacturer and model number on your mini mill?  It looks like Proxxon but I do not find it on the site.

Bob

post-513-0-94668600-1381338974.jpg

Hi Bob

If you look under Proxxon  Milling Machines, you will find Mill/Drill complete system, BFW 40E ( Ref : 718225 ).

mij

Hi Bob

If you look under Proxxon  Milling Machines, you will find Mill/Drill complete system, BFW 40E ( Ref : 718225 ).

mij

I guess Pxoxxon no longer makes it I entered both numbers and got no match.  Thanks

Bob

i really wish i have a big room like u guys..

I sometimes work beside my bed, or move to the balcony which is beside my room..

so, there's no way i use a power tool after like 9pm.. 

About 500 sq. feet Floyd.  It's 1/3 of our finished basement.  The Admiral has about 900 with her fiber arts workspace crammed full of looms, sewing and quilting machines and an occasional alpaca passing through.  Somehow we co-exist.  Notice the almost total absence of power tools  ---  that's the secret :)

Augie,
Some very fine looking planes in the hangar. I never got beyond the park flyer stage. With such a nice shop who can resist spending time there?

Dave B

Edited by DBorgens

Are you calling that a workshop ????????

That's just as big as our whole house…….

And you tell me that you can not building larger ships ???

You can do it on scale 1:1  :D  :D  :D

But it looks amazing my friend !

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Augie - That sounds about right. The ratio of space consumed by you vs. the space for the admiral 2 to 1 and the admiral still gets to make rules for your space. Yup just like my place, but with a bit less space.

Here's my workshop

I've been looking for beer cans and peanut shells on the floor, without success, not even a trash can overflowing. I cannot let the Admiral see this picture, it's a standard I cannot follow....

All kidding aside, it's a great workshop Augie.

Hi, new to ship models. My place to build is in the garage and attached are some pictures. My first model is the Fair American and I've received a lot of information on building from reading posts on this forum. As you can see I share space with an auto.

Wally

post-6950-0-66127700-1383794927.jpg

post-6950-0-16006200-1383795037.jpg

post-6950-0-45922400-1383795066.jpg

post-6950-0-64959000-1383795077.jpg

post-6950-0-95953000-1383795091.jpg

post-6950-0-80240100-1383795124.jpg

post-6950-0-57139300-1383795137.jpg