Wintergreen

So Where Do You Do Yours Then (Model making That Is)

Where do you do yours then?  

565 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you do yours then?

• On the kitchen table.
    • On the living room table.
    • Other living area facility.
    • In the basement.
    • In the attic.
    • In the garage.
    • In a workshop.
    • In the patio (yes, I've seen it before).
    • Other...

An amazing variety of spaces here. We live in a 1950's modernist house surrounded by bush (it was recently published in a book called "Modern"). Downstairs there is a studio space cum library cum drafting room. About 12 metres long by 2.5 metres wide - 30 m2 (300 or so square feet). The furniture at each end is all built in from the 50's so heaps of storage - like the rest of the house - cupboards everywhere. I added the bookshelves a few years back (haven't quite filled them yet). I also lifted the old vinyl flooring and re-laid with cork tiles - excellent for finding dropped things.The view is of...bush but it is very private, sheltered and warm. Should nature call there is a lemon tree outside that always needs a water.

Cheers

Alistair

post-259-0-15380200-1392077531_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-15299200-1392077553_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-75667200-1392077572_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-66143900-1392077607_thumb.jpg

Yep Mark - sometimes there is sawdust but I'm one of those weird modellers who hates a messy deck. I clean it every two days or so. Otherwise I just can't think :o. Also I'm averse to power tools - they create sawdust and are far too big however small they are.

Cheers

Alistair

Love seeing all the spaces people use to do their ships!  Many give me ideas too :D

I figuerd I would quickly update mine,  not to long ago one of the things that kept me away from building was refinishing the office so figured I would put up a quick before and after.

It isn't anything super spectacular but the Admiral and I are much more comfortable in the newly done office - much more "cozy" and less "basementy"

BEFORE

post-61-0-96876000-1392171891_thumb.jpg

And

AFTER

The floor is a bit wet :(  it is a walk out basement and winter.... sigh, pain in the butt keeping these floors even remotely clean let me tell ya!

post-61-0-39710800-1392172127_thumb.jpg

The ships line up and get major work done; cutting, shaping, forming etc and they come here to dry.

post-61-0-00102500-1392172128_thumb.jpg

This is where I live basically, here is where assembly, painting, detailing etc etc as well as surfing, forums, website, movie watching, writing, gaming, school work and guitar playing etc....   :D

post-61-0-64648000-1392172127_thumb.jpg

The admiral is just to the left off camera and wouldn't let me get her in the shot, she is all shy and stuff.

Enjoy!

Hey Joe :)

fantastic... look outside... see the water... see the ships roll by... sitting on the dock of the bay...

just perfect... what a inspiration

Cheerio

Max

:10_1_10:

Joe, I'll be over soon to help you get set up. Heh Heh. Floyd can vouch for me. How did you find such a place anyway? Beautiful. Wait......it rains a lot there doesn't it. Oh well . Like the lady said Gratz.    Bill in hot ,sunny Lewiston Idaho

Thanks All !

Yes, my wonderful Fiancé found this house and she knew it would be perfect when she saw the shop(s) space ! The view is most certainly inspiring, and I can envision the likes of George Vancouver, Peter Puget and Charles Wilkes as they sailed and surveyed this wonderful waterway !

I am currently in Las Vegas, and work for the Fed Gov, and playing the transfer game.....slow process. Anyhow, I expect to be in Gig Harbor full time within the next few months (hopefully) ! For now I just spend a lot of time flying back and forth. BTW - yes, I am marrying this wonderful woman in September !

I grew up in Bellingham, so this is almost like going home for me.

As for joining the local club, that would be affirmative, and yes, I will be happy to host club work sessions or meetings, and open the shop up for use ! There is a nice spacious deck in back (overlooking the Sound) ....perfect for summer BBQ's.

Cheers,

Joe

David,

I had that same work area for awhile when I was building my Wasa.  But mine was next to the couch in a motorhome.

At present this is my work (play) area in my basement.

I will be adding a 16" scroll saw and possibly a wood lathe this summer.

My son has borrowed a couple items ( like my cut off saw)

I am planning to build a rotating and tilting modeling table outside this room along the long wall with the pegboard.

post-9868-0-58158500-1397563180_thumb.jpg

post-9868-0-67847900-1397563187.jpg

post-9868-0-52646200-1397563195.jpg

post-9868-0-14311000-1397563206.jpg

post-9868-0-46553000-1397563213.jpg

RYOBI

Bought it on sale at Canadian Tire (like my compressor, cuttoff, saw, drill press, planer, etc...)

Watching for the combination belt/disc sander to go on sale

OCD issues

My darling wife and son complain that I clean up too often ... if I'm down there for 4 hours I've cleaned up after myself at least 8 times

OCD issues

My darling wife and son complain that I clean up too often ... if I'm down there for 4 hours I've cleaned up after myself at least 8 times

That should be "CDO" Alan, 'cause the letters really should be in the correct alphabetical order!!! :P :P :P

<gets coat and sidles towards door>

Ok, though I might have alreay posted in this thread things have evolved and so I thought I'd post a couple of shots of the re-imagined workspace here.  I don't get to play with a garage or whole room but rather part of a den at the front of the house.  And I had to get back into the swing by completely changing how I work - now I have to stand instead of sit.  The building of a raised work table to sit atop my old computer desk worktable can be found here; http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/272-cutty-sark-by-sailcat-revell-plastic-196-rescue-kit-bash-morphed-to-dame-tisane/page-13

And after tweaking and stuff I wound up with something like this ...

post-518-0-47389700-1397764091_thumb.jpg

This arrangement is kind of the best I can manage given all the limitations imposed by location.  And as time passes it will evolve further.  

David,

How did you get the fold out "leaf" I use for my computer desk reference table?   :rolleyes:

Alan

Glad to see others making use of their office/den/study to do the work. That's where I'm preparing to set up and get my first kit build under way. I have plans for two new rooms in the basement. I'll probably install a vacuum line and have a proper workshop in time. 

For now:

post-13867-0-95104000-1403992153_thumb.jpg

Not so much 'where I do mine then', but where I shall be doing it when my Acting Admiral becomes my full, married Admiral a little more than 3 months from now.

Those concrete blocks will be spread out, to support the 16ft by 8ft workshop that I've got on order.

I've re=boxed all my lovely Proxxon tools, and the other ones, and they're now impatiently waiting for that workshop to be delivered and installed!

My somewhat-part-built Enterprise (see below) eagerly awaita the new workshop.  And so do I!

I'll post more pics when the guys come with my lovely new workshop.  Should be end of July.  Hope they keep to schedule!

post-25-0-50332600-1404597077_thumb.jpg

I have an outside space - large garage - for all the `messy stuff '

post-1505-0-98281400-1404778306_thumb.jpg post-1505-0-74340100-1404778346_thumb.jpg

An a warm cosy space inside for all the other stuff

post-1505-0-57247900-1404778424_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-79130700-1404778453_thumb.jpg

Connection to cable TV and the ability to record the footy, cricket and golf is essential!

post-1505-0-39211400-1404778536_thumb.jpg

I have easy access to my air brush!

post-1505-0-12357200-1404778586_thumb.jpg

Smaller bits & pieces are stored in small fishing tackle boxes

post-1505-0-01300300-1404778640_thumb.jpg

My inside space doubles as a display area ( one can never have enough display area)

post-1505-0-79192300-1404778703_thumb.jpg post-1505-0-05134700-1404778732_thumb.jpg

Most of my power tools are mounted on wooden trays with lips. They slide forward and backwards easily allowing the area in front of them to be used for other things. This also minimises the spread of sawdust and allowed me to make and mount a removable Perspex shield for the chuck of my Proxxon wood lathe.

Edited by hornet

Hello,

I've been busy in the last four months building this little workshop for my hobby. It was one of the funniest moments in my life, even if building something at large scale is as time consuming as building at smaller scales, especially since i'm not a builder. It took 4 months because of the rainy summer we have this year.

post-633-0-51947000-1407868450_thumb.jpg

It's rather small (2.4 x 3 meters), but it's my little corner where i can relax without being interrupted all the time. There's no power tools in there yet, except my little rotary tool. I will probabil build a disc sander by myself, and if i choose to go on the dark side I would probabil need a table saw and maybe a planner. There is room for those tools but for now one desk is full of leftover materials from my current builds.  :)

post-633-0-06968800-1407868590_thumb.jpg

Most of the "furniture" and some tools belonged to my father. While he lived, he had his own private corner, and this gives me a special feeling when I see his old stuff, reminding me when I was a child and sharing that "private" corner with him :) However, the desk is pure gold. Those drawers can hold so many things in them, and they have compartments in them also. 

Two days after re-starting my hobby, the desk was already a mess.

The workshop is not fully equiped, there's still some tools and shelves to be fitted but for now I can work quite confy in there.

And this is the "trophies" wall. With some luck, some of them will be finished in the future :)

post-633-0-39895000-1407868703_thumb.jpg

Edited by moflea

Moflea

The small places that you share with your father (family) tend to be the biggest places that you can be.  Very nice shop and very well equipped.