Jolly Roger Pirate Ship by Kimberley - FINISHED - Lindberg - PLASTIC - 1:130

Believe it or not, I did get most of the parts finally organized in baggies and marked, but the instructions for this ship are so hard to follow.  The first part I put together does not make any sense nor does it fit where they say to put it.  I need a bigger ship to work on.  Something with bigger and less parts.  I don't understand what scale means.

Larger scale does not necessarily mean less parts, it just means the parts there are tend to be larger. What scale basically means is how much a model has been reduced from full size. For example a ship made in a scale of 1:48, is 1/48th the size of the real thing, or more simply, 1 real foot is equal to 48 scale feet on a model, another way to think of it, a real 1/4" is equal to 1 scale foot on the model. The math does work out. The larger the second number, the smaller the model will be.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

So, Andy if I want a larger plastic ship with bigger pieces, I should look for something that has a smaller second number?  Where can I post on this forum asking for suggestions of a good beginner ship with bigger pieces?

Popeye you will be the first to know if I ever pull this ship out again to work on.

Kimberley

Ahoy Kimberly :D

I am not sure I would use that formula to determine how big the parts are.  On a wooden ship where the modeler will be creating most of the detail this is true. For plastic kits however, it is the skill level that will determine the number of parts, the complexity of assemblies and whether or not the kit will include many small parts.

Google the kits you are interested. There are many reviews that show the included parts

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

First ship looks great. I don't know why everyone is up in arms (or hooks,haha) over the "pirate" thing? Any ship from a dinghy to a 3 mast 72 gunner can be a pirate ship. It's all about the identity the maker decides at the finish, right?

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Kimberley. It's been a long time since I built plastic, but I remember the brand Heller had some of the best ship models you can get. I would not suggest you go after their Victory or Soleil Royale in 1/100 as they are really challenging projects, but I remember once I built a Royal Louis in 1/200 that was a real pleasure. If you can get your hands in some Imai/Ertl models, they are also great to build. I built the Golden Hinde in this brand and I had a blast with it. A few photos here. I modified the kit to add shrouds and fabric sails, but ultimately, if you build it "out of the box" its not that hard.

post-975-0-52011100-1381874556_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-62568900-1381874576_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-46721400-1381874596_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-99266000-1381874607_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-15378900-1381874852_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-76256600-1381874867_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-33507700-1381874882_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I took a look at them briefly.......wait a moment..............ohhhhhhhhh  my!    yesssssss.........this is a STRANGE little bugger!   what in the blue blazes were the designers smoking when they came up with this one!   scale is the relation of the model as opposed to the real ship.

I'm not  too keen on the way of scale....130 feet to 1 inch {?}    perhaps someone who knows better can give the correct measurements, in the event I'm wrong.   with what I've read about this kit.....it's something about the decks {or the upper deck} not aligning properly.   I think I can see why:

the hull has a natural curve to it.......although the Revell kits have this curvature as well,  I don't see it as a deterrant.   the problem I see here is that the decks are done as a unit and the hull is assembled after the decks are complete

post-612-0-16296900-1381873023_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-63866200-1381873034_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-85179100-1381873043_thumb.jpg

these two decks are connected together with pins,  which appear to be bent {at least,  in my kit,  they appear to be}.   this will cause a malalignment of the upper deck when encased within the hull halves  if added detail is to be done to the gun deck,  it would be impossible to do,  because of the inaccessibility of the bulwarks.   rigging the cannons is out the window  :(     there is a way out though,  should you wish to add in this detail,  and that is to do the decks separately.........create pillars of the correct height, and then lay the spar deck at a later time,  after the gun deck is fleshed out.   in looking at all this,  I wouldn't blame you for choosing a different kit ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye. In regards to the scale, if the model is 1/130 it means 130 feet of the real thing = 1 foot in the model, (not 1 inch); or 130 cms = 1 cm or 130 whatever = 1 whatever.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Ulises that is a gorgeous ship!  I can only dream to get that good.  Popeye, this model ship kit is a mess.  A lot of things don't fit, the instructions are wrong in certain places, and they are trying to fit too many things at once on each instruction picture.  They are just really sloppy pieces, and I am a perfectionist, and it is driving me nuts.  I like the Revell where it gave me step-by-step instructions/pictures.  Plus, the pieces were better made.  I have been fiddling with this all afternoon to keep me busy.  I think I am getting addicted to ship building. :dancetl6:  I have been practicing my painting with the Testor paint.  I am wearing a bunch of it on my hands. :P  Oh well, this is what I get for buying a cheap kit.  I am going to keep working on it until I can get another ship.  I will get online and find one.  The hobby stores around me don't offer much.  Maybe I can find a level 1 that is for 2 year olds and up.  Just kidding.  Ulises I will search for those brands you mentioned.  I may try another Revell.

Kimberley, it looks like your getting alot of help. I agree that if you were to get the Golden Hinde, that would be a good ship to work on. Its made by ertl / imai. You'll need to look for it on ebay. That company also makes a Spainish Galleon and a Chebec. I've built all three and are fairly easy to assemble. The instructions are good unlike lindberg models. But if you want to stick with a Revell model then I would suggest the Cutty Sark (no cannons). Its a 1/96 scale model which doesn't have too many small parts.

Attached is pictures of the ertl/imai Spainish Galleon.

Richard

post-629-0-05406800-1381890997_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-54566100-1381890998_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-03449900-1381891000_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-74400500-1381891001_thumb.jpg

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Ahoy Kimberly

Cast my vote for the Pinta

But

Revell also makes the Santa Maria

There is a nice build log here

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/t/151638.aspx?sort=DESC

Squadron sells it (excellent company)

http://www.squadron.com/1-90-Revell-Germany-Columbus-Ship-Santa-Maria-p/rg5405.htm

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Kimberley: The Pinta by Heller may be an excellent choice. In fact, they used to have a kit that included the three Columbus' ships in 1/75. I have build them twice. If you look for them you may still find them as separate kits. I would go for the Santa Maria, though: a little bigger and better in my opinion. The other Pirate ship looks more like a toy, again, in my opinion.

Okay, I am going to go for the Revell Santa Maria.  I just now bought it on Amazon for the free shipping.  I am going to keep working on the Jolly Roger for the practice.  Who knows.  It may turn out not to look too bad.  Thank you so much for your help guys.  I am now going to go check out what you guys are working on. 

the Lindberg kit would make for a good practice build  for painting and such.   you've shown some better kits.......as long as the decks don't go together like the Lindberg kit,  you'd have a better time of it.   as I mentioned,   I didn't look into the kit until now.........I'll hold off until I get my five other builds out of the way :)  :)    I have always liked the Revell kits........fair amount of detail and all.

thanks Ulises........I knew I was in the ballpark with the scale thing........but no home run :)    it comes from my working with plastic all these years.......you see a kit,  you like it,  you build it.   scale wasn't a fore thought.  working with wood has really been an eye opener for me. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Kimberley it looks very nice. If anything I would like to point out that the hull was covered with copper plates, not brass, which it's what it looks like with the color you used. No big deal, but maybe you want to take note for future buildings. ;)

Keep up with it. It's coming along very nice. I like your paint job on the decks.

Post the question here and you'll get many answers ;)

Traditional copper plating, painted white for white lead?

Gold... what else is a pirate to do with all that treasure

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

nice job so far!  I agree.....the decks came out pretty nice.    I had the same decision with my Billing's AmericA.......they said to paint the bottom gold......but I used copper instead  :)     not a big deal.........it's all practice,  right ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks guys.  Ulises, do you mean how I painted the bottom part of the hull?   I did the hull in gold.  The color chart said gold.  I still have a lot to learn about the colors.

Yes Kimberley. So if the chart said gold, you used gold that's alright. :) But hull bottoms were covered with copper plates, which later took a green patina.

I'm posting some photos of a heavy weathering I did on a Revell's 1/96 Constitution hull. Someone said that although the weathering was nicely done, Constitution may had never looked like that, as maintenance on her was performed almost on a daily basis. 

(I have to say I never finished this "version" of Connie)

post-975-0-05260000-1381950346_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-16800500-1381950353_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-39372700-1381950360_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-53365500-1381950367_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Dear Kimberley:

Actually, for La Flore, I think the bottom of the hull was wood planks coated with a tallow mixture that was white in color.  I don't believe that copper was used on the bottom of hulls yet.  That was introduced a bit later.

But the bottom line is, it's your model, and you should do as you see fit!  Most importantly, enjoy!

Best,

Mike E.

I got the hull on today, and it was not easy at all to get on.  Two cannons kept coming off, and the upper and lower deck just do not want to stay together, but they are forced together now with the hull.  I am getting a lot of practice at painting.  I don't paint the really, really tiny pieces.  I would need a microscopic brush. :P  There is a fancy front and back end that has some detailed painting.  I am going to see how I do.  I am really not known for my painting skills.  I am great with detail work, but not so hot when it comes to painting anything.  I always wanted to learn how to paint, but that is one artistic skill I have never managed to acquire.

I love metallic colors, such as gold, copper, brass, silver, etc.  I might just do a whole ship in metallic colors one of these days. :D

Ulises, I really like how you made the hull look old and weathered....very clever.

Kimberly, I think you are referring to the scroll work that is supposed to be gold? I think you may try just using a method called dry-brushing. Just put the tip of your brush into the paint and drag it across a paper towel or napkin until almost all of the paint is off. You will barely see any paint streaking on the paper towel at this point. Then lightly drag the brush over the scroll work. You would have to do this over and over until the scroll work really pops, but it is one way to assure that you are only getting the scroll work. However you do the scroll work, I'm sure you'll do just fine. You've gotten farther than I did when I attempted this same kit.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Kimberly,

I did the model in your first link as my first ship in 20 years. I think it says 7-8 hours on the box.... i put in well over 40! I will post some pictures later for you but it was a pretty satisfying experience for cheap. I am currently working on the 196 Connie that you did..... I won't tell you how many hours i have into that one. I just placed the masts yesterday and hope to start the rigging tonight after work. I'll probably post pictures of that when I get it done. Hopefully by Christmas. yes, I work very slowly.... Good luck on your Journey, I know I am following along closely.

Kimberly,

Great progress.  I built the "Pirate Ship" and converted it to a fictional ship from the Alexander Kent series.  I must tell you, that is one of the bloody hell's teeth of a model to start on.  Lindberg kits tend to be more flash and missmolded plastice than actual parts.  I raise a toast to you. :cheers:

I also have a few of the Revell Columbus ships.  I love the Pinta, and the Santa Maria is tops for a quick, easy, relaxing build.  All three of the kits are great.  The Heller Santa Maria is also in the same boat (pun).

Other fun sailing ships to build are the galleons by Revell. Golden Hind and the large Spanish Galleon.  Although some discredit their historical accuracy, they are by far fun to build.  Since you like working with bright colors, you will have a lot of fun painting these models.

Note that all the above kits I mentioned are simple square rigged ships that will help you move into more complex square riggers such as Frigates and Clipperships.

I would also suggest for future builds the Revell Mayflower, Bounty/Beagle, and of coarse their Constitution.  If your ready for the challange of multiple yards, the Cutty Sark and Stag Hound are great kits to cut your teeth on clippers.

I have built a number of Heller models, and to me, they are beautiful kits, but seem to be harder than wooden kits.

Keep up the good work :D

Scott

Edited by ScottRC

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Thanks for the tip Patrick.  I am definitely going to try it.  I get so nervous when I am trying to paint things.  I have only been doing one coat of the Testor paints.  Do you guys do one or more coats?

FKarl I enjoyed doing the 196 constitution even though it was my first ship.  Though I did not do much painting on it.  The hardest part for me was the rigging.  Also, I put one of those T things on one of the masts in the wrong place, which made it hard to rig that part.  The directions were great.  The pieces were good.  To me it was a lot easier than this thing I am working on now.  Fkarl I look forward to seeing your pictures. 

Scott, I am ready to throw this one across the room! ;)  The directions and pieces are horrible in my opinion.  I just don't know where or which way they want me to put many of the pieces.  The fancy front and back ends did not line up at all for me.  Actually, I just had that front end part come off, so now I have to try and get it back in there.  It really does look like a train wreck. :(  That is okay.  I am learning while I am working on it.  Plus, I am painting on this one.  My problem also is I truly don't know a lot about ships even though I love them.  I really need to study the real ones.  I also need to learn patience. :o

I am excited to get my new Revell Santa Maria.  Amazon said it has been shipped.  That is the one I will be hitting you guys up for a lot of help, because I really want to do it correctly.  Plus, I want to give it to my step-dad.  He has always inspired me to use my creative abilities.  I wish I lived closer to him.  He has the most wonderful workshop!