Jolly Roger Pirate Ship by Kimberley - FINISHED - Lindberg - PLASTIC - 1:130

Woo Hoo, looks great :cheers::10_1_10:   any pirate would be proud to sail on her.

So, you disregarded the instructions to put the sails on and you have parts left over?  Well, I must say you have past into the category of now seasoned ship modeler.  Just wait, soon you will be measuring spars and masts with calipers and making your own because the one in the kit is too tall, too short, or you just want to do it for the fun of it.

Don't worry about the mizzen topmast being on backwards, I mounted all three masts on backwards on a Constitution, and this was after building this kit at least several times before.  Its such a bad problem for me that I now turn the ship about when placing masts.

Again, thanks for posting and have fun with the Santa Maria.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Kim:

As a quick answer I would say YES!.... BUT... plan ahead. Mostly everything has to be painted on the tree, and when you snip the piece off, a small retouch may be needed where it was attached. In other occasions, you will need to scrap off the paint, if its on an area that has to be glued. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Glue will fail if placed on paint. You can paint your pieces by sections. Let's say you are working on your deck, paint all the pieces that belong to the deck. Study your instructions and build the kit in your head several times, if possible. Many times you will see that it will be better to deviate from the instructions to make some steps easier. There is no absolute way to do things, and many times you will get 5 different answers from 5 different people, and all of them may be valid. These are only some guidelines, but the best way to learn is by doing it. "A wise man (or woman) learns from his mistakes, a wiser man learns from the mistakes of others" ;)

Oh!, and the most important advise: Have Fun!!!

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Thanks Channel.  I wish it had turned out better.  I love pirate ships.  I am going to try another one later on.  A real one this time.  Here is the link to an artist, Maitz, who does awesome paintings of pirates.  http://www.paravia.com/DonMaitz/website/MaritimeHeritage/index.html

Anyway, I am working on the Revell Santa Maria now.

Edited by Kimberley

THIS is the only one and real Blackbeard!

post-182-0-13467300-1383175478_thumb.jpg

XXXDAn

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

and that folks..........is what happens to you,  when looking down a 15 inch gun  :D :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Yes, that is a very scary Blackbeard! :o  I doubt his teeth were that white. :P

No, I don't have a favorite specific ship.  My favorite ships are the ones like I am building now.  The old type ships with the long masts, tons of sails, and a lot of rigging.  I don't know what their proper name is for them.  I love the way they look.  If you know what I mean.  I wish I could sail on a real one. 

• 2 months later...

Very nicely done! I recommend you to make your own ratlines and sails (they are much more realistic than the plastic ones in the kit) and to improve the windows in the transom with styrene wire. You can weather the hull using pastel paints or by using the dry brush technique -apply some occre, rust, black, brown and green- to simulate old wood or copper, and the same effect can be achieved by soaking the sails (fabric ones, cut from an old t-shirt) in watercolors and then rubbing them with ground coffee. Here is my own version of the same model, which I modified to be the French frigate Guerriere:

post-6466-0-12502400-1388983399_thumb.jpg

post-6466-0-31397400-1388983407_thumb.jpg

Aye, thats a good job! :-) There is one thing that still interests me, maybe you can make it too. I was thinking about realistic flag from silk. I know very small amount of things about it but i have seen it on several models so, and its very very worth making detail. Keep making good things man :D

Hi, iam 16 years old from SVK,my webpage: http://www.mcerget.webnode.sk/ I currently work on USS Bon Homme Richard. My finished works(just ships here, others on my web).

2014- Aquila 3D

2013-Santa Maria 1/350

2012-Le Phenix 1/150

2011-Golden Hind 1/200

Arrrhg me maties!  Have fun with your build, Kim, it is your ship. 

Pirates would capture what ever ships they could and use them to capture more ships and booty. 

I dare say we don't know about every ship ussd in piracy so use your imagination and enjoy the build.

Duff

Very nicely done! I recommend you to make your own ratlines and sails (they are much more realistic than the plastic ones in the kit) and to improve the windows in the transom with styrene wire. You can weather the hull using pastel paints or by using the dry brush technique -apply some occre, rust, black, brown and green- to simulate old wood or copper, and the same effect can be achieved by soaking the sails (fabric ones, cut from an old t-shirt) in watercolors and then rubbing them with ground coffee. Here is my own version of the same model, which I modified to be the French frigate Guerriere:

Nice job, Paisano! :)

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Aye, thats a good job! :-) There is one thing that still interests me, maybe you can make it too. I was thinking about realistic flag from silk. I know very small amount of things about it but i have seen it on several models so, and its very very worth making detail. Keep making good things man :D

Thanks. That is a good idea. My first idea was to make a waving flag, so I made it from plasticard. 

Hey Kimberley: About Pirate ships. I thought this may be of interest to you! ;)

http://www.mamolimodel.com/eng/mv82.htm

A nice good start in wooden building and with your preferred subject!

Good luck!

Edited by Ulises Victoria

Kimberly I was excited to find your log as the Lindberg Jolly Roger was my first ship.  I still have it in my boys room where it some how survives the tornado's that are 18 month and 4 years old boys.  I've been considering restoring it since I didn't know as much (or anything at all) about ship modeling then and the rigging and paint are a bit of an embarrassment.  My thoughts are to take off the top masts and redo it with wood and use actual thread lines for the rigging.  We'll see if I ever get to it.  A lot of other projects to finish first.

Your log brings back memories of trying to get this thing together.  I forgot how difficult it was.  I remember getting some parts in a "close enough position" because absolutely correct was not feasible.  The bowsprit was by far the hardest part.  I don't blame you at all for wanting a different kit.  Yours is coming along well though your doing great work.  Keep it up you'll be happy you completed it if for no better reason then to proved to this kit who was more stubborn. :piratetongueor4:          

I still have mine..........after seeing your build,  I can't wait to start it :)  armed with your log......I think it will be a lot of fun to bash the crap out of this ship :D :D :D       I'd start it now.....but if I did,  the admiral would throw me out on my ear!   Eight is enough! :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Why am i just finding this build log now??? it looks awesome and makes me want to dig this one out of my stash

I built this kit a few years back and loved it. I actually bought 2, so I have another one in my stash that I intend to build as the La Flore (or Vestale as others have called it). When I built this first one I also just built it as a dirty privateer and came up with my own paint theme. It was fun. I used the plastic shrouds mainly because i wanted this to be a fun quick build.

jolleyroger025.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Happy BD, Kim. Hey! We have not seen any updates or posts from you in a long time.

Hope everything is alright.

Best wishes

Ulises

• 1 year later...

Hi Kim, job on your Jolly Roger. I built this exact kit-twice. The first one turned out pretty bad but since it was not expensive I bought another one which turned out better. I did find out that I do like model shipbuilding but not plastic. This kit wass pretty bad. it was warped, and my cat kept trying to eat the small parts (those that didnt land in my carpet). I admire you for sticking with it. I found 2 kits on Amazon for about $40. The Bluenose and the Constitution. Thet are vest iery simplisitic solid hull (no planking or other hard stuff) but gives the feel of working with wood. They made me decide to invest in a quality wood model for the challenge. Hope you continue building bigger and better ships. :bird-vi:

post-19490-0-48126300-1430964440_thumb.jpg

post-19490-0-05280100-1430964466_thumb.jpg

post-19490-0-12116500-1430964490_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...