SS Vinal Haven by TBlack - Finished

Tom,

In the previous picture, (the window half under water) the reflections in the windows seem to indicate the two panes are not in the same plane.  I would build it like Michael shows.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob & Michael.

I'll grant you that the middle window of the first picture looks like it might be in 2 planes, but look at the window next to the door above; it's flat. And, I'd argue, so is the middle window above or else the reflection wouldn't be consistent on both sides of the mullion. So how about we compromise and make the 4 windows on either side of the center window in 2 planes and the remaining 3 windows flat?

Tom

I've been quiet here for a bit as working is stytene is ouitside my experience, but I think I have to agree with Tom that the windows are flat.  I think the reflection in the windows of the sunken ferry are creating an illusion of a bent window.  On a purely practical note, I think windows other than flat would be very rare indeed on this type of craft - but maybe in America they built ferrys like that?

John

Tom, I would vote for flat window frames as well, just doesn't make sense that they would use curved or angled frames. It looks like you have three different mouldings to build for the cabin top.

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Tom Your compromise sound great, From a perfectly practical point of view the windows are too small to warrant the split pane I still believe that they are split to accommodate the curve which is quite a sharp one. If they could have used flat panes I think they would have, it is not as if they could only make small panes or that small panes were the only available option. Tom what is the radius of the curve both in real life and on your model. I would gusee that it is no more than 4 feet radius 5 at the absolute outside.

post-202-0-00051700-1368507702_thumb.jpg

vinal haven.pdf

This is a cad drawing showing the window pane as a flat and a split using 48 inches as the radius.

I do think that the split is correct and that the windows were split and angled.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

John, Steve, Michael,

Thanks so much for your attention and thoughts. I hope I'm worthy of your efforts; I'll try to be.

Michael, Of course, my pilot house dimensions are a guess simply from looking at the photographs. One of the reasons to build the pilot house "plug" was to see how it fit on the model and did it look like what was in the photos. I think I'm pretty close. Having said that, I've got to hand it to you. The radius of the pilot house is, indeed, 48". Or, it's 8 feet across from outside wall to outside wall. This scale is 1:48, so the actual dimension is 2 inches wide.

Also, just as a construction tidbit, when I built the windows for the salon, aft of the pilot house, I used the same window mould as on the main deck, and cast the windows from that mould. But the salon windows required a mullion similar to the pilot house windows. I inserted a piece, gluing it top and bottom, in the window frame. The window pane behind it gives it some stability. 

post-106-0-28277900-1368549733_thumb.jpg

Tom since it is 2 inches across I have rescaled the drawing to your dimension the PDF will show the amount of bevel or angle to the uprights between windows are a scale 3 inches on the outside edges.

post-202-0-62532600-1368560756.png

vinal haven48.pdf

I hope this is of use.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Michael, You're pretty adept with that CAD program; I'm not sure I can measure out to the ten thousandths on my ruler.

I'm reminded of the days when I was a real estate developer. My architect would provide detail plans on some aspect of the build, and my contractor would look at the plan and then "build to fit". 

What I'm seeing from you is that the mullion and the center of the frame needs to be pushed forward to nearly flush with the outside skin.

Tom

Tom the split window panes follow the curve more closely. if you zoom in to the PDF the window remains about 3/4 of (scale) inch from the outside curve. Sorry about the 4 decimal places I forgot to round up with the program basically we are looking at 3/16ths (.187)  for the split pane  and 3/8ths (.375) for the full opening the difference of a few thou is not worth worrying about.

Igf you print out the PDF at 100% then you can see exactly the shapes and sizes. In reality Tom these are quite small pieces. So I hope that I haven't opened too big a can of worms.

Michael

More on the pilot house. I'm working on the interior, although I've also cast the windows. They won't go in until I've put the" skin" in place, and I'll do that after I've installed the pieces that go on the flat parts of the pilot house, namely the doors.

On the left, in the picture, is the form I used for making the doors. I'm using the sandwich method that Danny uses to build his doors. So between two door panels will be a window and 3 wooden panels. The picture also shows the beginnings of the door from the pilot house into the captains cabin. Then there's the pilot house floor and chart table. There will be a seat on the other side of the door.

Tom

post-106-0-32274500-1369273825.jpg

John, I'm not sure about the mugs. When I was in the Navy we used to bring a mug up to the bridge to stay awake while standing watch at 0200. The XO got so fed up with dirty coffee mugs cluttering up the bridge that he threw them all over the side!

Tom

Maybe that's because you didn't bring coffee for the XO.  Nice looking chart table anyway.  That won't be thrown over the side.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

well on your way to some great pilot house detail........sweet job Tom!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good to see that you are getting round the bend, or is that going round the bend :)

Looks good Tom

Michael

I've made a little more progress:

The window frames are a real challenge. The ship probably only had a voice tube down to the engine spaces, which are right  below the pilot house, but the EOT looks more dramatic. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the handle/indicator for it. The barrel is 5 mm across and 2 mm radius. And the face was an example of a successful operation where the patient died. I got a picture of an EOT off the internet and reduced it to my size, so it's all there, you just can't read it!

Tom

post-106-0-78570700-1370376203.jpg

post-106-0-71685600-1370376218.jpg

my level of detail ........indeed!  <_<     now your trying to upstage me.......... :D    I knew you can do it!   the windows and doors look really good as well.    are you going to put in cup holders too?  B)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Nice pilot house, and furniture.  Well done.

Bob

What would they have had in 1900?

I would imagine a gimbled stove in the galley :D

Michael

• 1 month later...

I've finally gotten to the point where I can show something. i had some health issues that got in the way for the last month.

I don't have the right tools to build a proper ship's wheel, and I wasn't going to buy one. I figured that you can't really see it all that well once the roof is on. It's a bit of a clunker, but it will do. Also, I'm disappointed that, with the roof on, you can't really see the interior detail, sigh!

post-106-0-95113200-1395616699.jpg

post-106-0-06109000-1395616754.jpg

Edited by TBlack

Druxey is right... and there's pictures to prove it!!!!

Good to see you back in the workshop, Tom.  I hope all stays well for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Look at it this way.... It is the room on the ship with the most windows.... So there is a chance that people will notice (I mean, other than us, whom you've enlightened with your pictures). It's not like you detailed all the other cabins and spaces that would never be seen again except by X-ray... Or maybe you did and you're just not telling...

Anyway, good to hear you're back and in better health.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy