SS Vinal Haven by TBlack - Finished

Boat deck secured and support stanchions in place. Some more photos: In the bow shot you'll notice the second stanchion on the right needs fixing. My pipe fitters took care of that this morning as you can see in the subsequent photos. Also, the chief of the boat is in charge of painting that panel on the pilot house door.

Tom

post-106-0-52107300-1382058588_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-69730100-1382058616_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-26870700-1382058633_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-70828400-1382058640_thumb.jpg

superb looking progress Tom........the windows,  stanchions and doors look fantastic!  she's really shaping up to be a fine looking vessel!

I applaud your work,  good sir! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

She's coming along nicely.  You should be happy with her.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Tom,

Isn’t it fun to look at the pictures and say, “Oh, blank, how do I do that”?  Seem like I do it all the time.

John's idea sounds good to me.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Here, check this out:

http://grandtline.com/products/arch/ho/ho_scale_architectural_trim.html

Down a bit, they offer strips of dentils. I'm assuming that's what's confounding you?

(It's also available in 1:48)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

HI Tom, Very nice build looks great very impressive

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Andy, thanks for the link. I did check it out and it's a little hard to tell the dimensions of the "blocks" from the picture. I'm thinking of going with John's suggestion which is doable. The problem I'm facing is the size of the cuts. If you look at the above picture, the cuts are about as wide as the mullion in the pilot house window. That translates to a cut of .5 mm on the model. I have a Preac saw, a Rolls Royce in its day, but Charlie Files, the creator, died a few years back and that was the end of the company and its supplies. I own a blade for the saw with a .020 thickness, that's going to be on the wide side. Charlie used to make available a blade with a .010 thickness, and I haven't been able to find anyone who sells the thinner blade since Charlie's passing. So I'm stuck with the .020 cut. So there it is.

Crackers, I'm no good at lettering. I thought what I would do is just make a copy of the sign on my computer printer to size, cut it out and paste it onto a backing.

Tom

Well.. according to the specs, that strip it 2" long... I counted 53 blocks and spaces along the strip, comes out to dentils that are roughly 0.030" (probably smaller due to the slight excess of the ends, so you're probably closer to 0.025")

If it was me, they're really not that expensive, I'd order a set and see what you think in person. Otherwise you could be stuck doing a royal PITA job...

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Tom,

You say the cut you want is 1/2 mm or .019685”, so you are correct your .020” saw is too wide by .000315”.

Bob

saw is too wide by .000315”.

OMG 3 ten thousands of an inch!! whatever happened to Accuracy with these scratch builders? :P

;)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Okay, okay, you guys, I get it, sheesh! A practice run with the saw shows a kerf of .5 mm which should be just fine. But yesterday I sprung for Andy's dentils. So I'm committed, and we're going to wait to see how they look first. 

Tom

While I wait for the dentils to arrive from CA, I'm turning my attention to the stack. The photo shows the base that I shaped on the lathe. I have a 5/8" brass tube that should serve nicely as a stack. I'm assuming that the holes you see in the photo at the base are, in fact, holes and not rivets.

Tom

post-106-0-37485400-1382494330_thumb.jpg

Edited by TBlack

Years ago I planned to build a large model of a western river steamboat with a working steam engine.  Ah the dreams we have.  Anyway.  On river steamboats the stack goes through a large hole in the deck so the hot stack does not touch the wood.  The large sheet metal ring with the sloping top keeps the rain and other water out of the large hole.  The holes in the ring prevent heat buildup.   Usually instead of vent holes there is a gap between the ring and the sloped top which extends a few inches past the ring as you can see at the far left of the picture. The intake to the boiler is near the firebox where the stoker works.

Bob

I'm thinking so too... since you don't see any cowl vents for air intake for the boilers.

Andy

I was thinking of river boats that had large doors, usualy open, where the boilers were located, but on a boat like this without those doors this heat shield could also be used as the intake for the boiler.

Bob

Andy, Actually there is a cowl vent, just barely visible. Back in entry 30, page 2, of this log we had a brief discussion of it. At the time I thought it was a smoke stack for a stove in the salon. Since then, I've discovered this photo which makes me think it is a cowl vent which is what you all were trying to convince me of in the first place. It's just visible behind the pilot house roof.

Tom

post-106-0-90193200-1382547088_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to take Andy's suggestion and buy some pre-cast dentils from an outfit in Calif. rather than try to make my own. They are made of styrene and come in 2" strips. They're close enough, and I certainly can't make anything smaller.

post-106-0-22173800-1384229867.jpg

They needed some adjustment along the top, but married to a single bead moulding along the bottom, and the whole assembly looks OK. It's not an exact replica of the prototype, but I can't get that detailed with the tools I have.

To make the single bead molding, I cut the profile in a razor blade secured to the tool post of my lathe, using both the large Dremel cut-off wheel and the small Dremel cut-off wheel. The thickness of the larger wheel is just the right width for the moulding (2mm), and the thinner wheel is as small as I can get to cut the bead. It's the profile on the right. Sorry for the bluriness.

post-106-0-86336500-1384230374.jpg

So the final product still needs to be smoothed out where the joints occur and all painted. Sorry for the lack of close-ups, but my camera doesn't do it very well.

post-106-0-55009700-1384230215_thumb.jpg

Tom, great stuff the little details are what make a great model fantastic.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

That's really coming along.

Bob