DKM Scharnhorst by Paul Salomone - 1:72nd Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser

Paul what a great workstation from the wood you have recycled. Yes the XP issue has caused me to upgrade to W7 It came loaded on a used PC,

looking forward to seeing more updates now. You are a master at the Styrene.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hello Paul and welcome back !!!  Your boats look wonderful - - - which is to be expected from you.   :D  :D

Great work station you have there, looks like an old (new?) desk.

Looking forward to more of your marvelous work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Good morning My, Good Friends, :P

Yes Glad to be back. Already prepared the work station for next Saturday afternoon.

The house work is not over yet - but as they say, work all day makes Jack a dull boy.

After finishing off the hull of the work boats, I have to finish off the radar station and the tower bridge. the reason being, is that I need to get cracking with the paint work and weathering.

The secret of it all, is that since this is going to be a static model, I will have to find a balance between bright clean finish, and a slight percentage of weathering, oil washes, highlights and dry brushing, in order to make the details stand out. On a 1:72 scale model, the quantity of detailing is impressive and exhaustive. So now every piece of equipment I do, especially on the external part of the ship, has to be treated as explained above, including full wiring.

AK Interactive, has just produced some good weathering washes for German WW2 vessels.

For those who are going to build the Trumpeter Bismarck, these washes are essential.

AK Interactive have a whole range of washes for all types of vessels.

see you all next Saturday.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Welcome back, Paul. Nice to see your Scharnhorst again.   That is one nifty workbench.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Good afternoon all,

Sorry for the long time absence, but had some family issues to deal with, basically with our child adoption process. Still going on, but soon be over and done with. Don't worry - I will be back soon. The Scharnhorst is now sitting in it's final resting place of honour.

By the way - I recently bought the LIndberg 1:72 scale model of the IJN submarine I-53 with the Kaitens human torpedoes. I bought it at a cost of some Euros 120.00. Basically, I will have to scratch build all the deck and coning tower, apart from the fact that the hull itself needs quite a good number of corrections. But anyway, as I said - will be back soon.

Cheers

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

the Scharnhorst  isn't finished yet?????.........is it?   hope to see more of your superb workmanship soon  ;)  glad to hear you'll be back soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye, :P

Don't worry - you did not miss out anything. The Scharnhorst is still in the state I left her. Some time I hear her weep out her loneliness. But not for long. This long absence, has also given me the chance to make out some research. The lower and the bottom part of the hull, was full of water seacocks water inlet and outlets. Incredible but true. I also found out that the Scharnhorst was equipped with two types of water RO systems. One for the drinking water and the other for the second class water, used for the water cooling systems, the fire fighting systems and the washing systems. The more research I carry out, the more I learn that today we are only reinventing the wheel or enjoying the fruits of our ancestors hard work and dedication.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

Great to see you back Paul. I look forward to the resumption of your magnificent build. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Good afternoon all, :piratebo5:

some good news that I would like to share with all my friends on this fine forum. we just came from a four week long court session in Siberia. the judge has approved our child adoption application  :cheers: , so now its just a matter of a few weeks. Our son will be finally home with us by mid-October. 

Yesterday, I went down to the basement, where the Scharnhorst is resting in a well air treated room, and spent some good three hours trying to remember as from where I should restart. the cardboard sheets are still intact and the polystyrene sheets are still in a super flat state. The room is kept at 22 degrees Celcius at a humidity rate of 40%. my wife of course was not that happy, as she is insisting that once our son is home with us, I have my share of duties. Well at least I have Sunday afternoons and some hours during the night, to continue the works on the Scharnhorst. :10_1_10:

By the way, just one question if I may - is there anybody out there who can furnish me with a brand name who can can supply the 20mm anti aircraft gun barrels in 1:72 scale. I tried to work them out on the lathe, but all I managed to do is a big flop.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

welcome back Paul

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

http://storymodels.com/en/

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Good to have you back.  Glad things went in your favor.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

very impressing work Paul,

and so much self made wonderful Details, amazing that you still have the overviewfor the logistic of all These parts.

I have a question....

how do you fasten the eyebrows over the portholes to the hull..., (a drop of CA would probably be too messy ?)

Wish you further good success for this great model

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks for your support guys,  :)

Thanks Kevin - I browsed the site and just found what I was looking for. they have also the 37mm calibre anti aircraft barrels.

Hello Nils - Pleased to meet you on this fine forum. You asked a very specific question, and the answer is not that simple. So let's start off. As you may know the eye brows of the portholes follow the extended diameter of the port hole. Now, the most important thing is that once you look at the eyebrows, you see a srtaight line. The eyebrows are the correcting solution for any portholes that might have gone astray and out of line. place a soft steel ruler at the installation points of the eyebrows, and lock it in place with some tape. Place the eyebrow in place and leave it. put some locktite liquid super glue on a sheet, dip a piece of 0.3mm copper wire, hold the eyebrow in place and just pass over the top of the eyebrow with the copper wire piece. This will be enough to hold it in place. Dip again in super glue and pass over the whole length of the eyebrows. Allow some hours to dry up and cure. After just rub gently with a grade 200 sand paper. this will eliminate the roundness of the copper wire used and will leave a neat flat edge.

should you need anything else, just ask. I will try to help out in any way I can.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

Many thanks Paul,

your explaination is fully understood, much appreciated, and provides an excellent handling of These small eyebrow pieces. I`ll be Standing before this Task as well and have been straining my mind already, was thinking if I could place them into the wet paint. Your hint with the optical "last correction" possibility in alining the portholes is a valuable Surplus Information, Thanks again....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

glad to see your back Paul,  and happy to hear your dilemma is finally coming to an end.    looking forward in seeing progress again  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Happy to see that everything is coming to fruition, Paul. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

HelloPaul, so good to see you back and congrats with your son.  

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 3 months later...

Hello all,  :D

Glad to be finally back at last.  :piratebo5:

just a few words to tell you all that we came back to Malta with our adopted son last September. Sorry guys, but with all the things and documentation we had to wrap up, the forum was the last thing on my mind. Now our son settled in well and has began school. I am planning to get back to my Scharnhorst in January 2016.

I would also like to take the opportunity to wish you all a Happy Christmas :cheers: and a prosperous new year :cheers: with lots of ship modelling :cheers: fun.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

and the same to you Paul

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Great to see you back Paul; look forward to the updates on this woinderful build.  Ditto re the festive season.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Good to hear that you have your son home.  Merry Christmas and happy 2016.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Great news all round Paul. I look forward to resumption of work on your magnificent build in the New Year.

Welcome back, good to read that everything is alright

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

It's great to hear that you and your now larger family are home and settled back in.   May the holidays and new year bring you much joy.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: