DKM Scharnhorst by Paul Salomone - 1:72nd Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser

In the esky chilling down Paul; look forward to that!

cheers

Pat

:cheers:

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Good morning all, ;)

Hello Pat - Good, That what I would look forward to, after a hard day's work - a good pint of chilled beer.

Some more updates on the first work boat.

Here goes:

Starting off with the outer skin.

post-435-0-68319400-1375681730_thumb.jpg

The first side ready - not bad for the first time and using styrene strips.

post-435-0-48787800-1375681741_thumb.jpg

The filler to use on styrene. The best in town.

post-435-0-30025300-1375681752_thumb.jpg

First coat of filler.

post-435-0-18799800-1375681768_thumb.jpg

The second coat of filler, applied on both sides.

post-435-0-01653800-1375681779_thumb.jpg

A view from the other side - a bit crude, but better a thick coat and sand down to the right curvature.

post-435-0-46637700-1375681789_thumb.jpg

Applying the first thick coat of primer. This helps a lot in obtaining a good finish.

post-435-0-35238000-1375681800_thumb.jpg

A longitudinal view.

post-435-0-97519400-1375681810_thumb.jpg

While awaiting for the coat to dry, I started off with the second work boat.

post-435-0-04159400-1375681823_thumb.jpg

Shall be posting more pictures next week.

Edited by Paul Salomone

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning all, ;)

Some more updates related with the construction of the first work boat. Not much I'm afraid, as I had to carry out some maintenance works in the house.

Here goes.

Nearing the finish line.

post-435-0-57045300-1376461197_thumb.jpg

Starting off with the decks of the boat.

post-435-0-31326300-1376461208_thumb.jpg

Shall upload more updates next week.

Cheers

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

Hello Brian,

Thanks for looking in. Plasto is a great filler, especially for plastic builds like when using styrene sheets; and sands down quite easily.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

love the bow sheer.........nice touch!   if all of the boats come out like this one is shaping up........they are gonna look cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

Hello to all my fine maritime friends, :piratebo5: 

Just a short note to tell you that I am still alive, but buried under loads of home improvement projects.

Do you recall the room in which the Scharnhorst is based? - Well you will all see the huge improvement. You will hardly recognize the room. I still have the construct the access doors leading to the room, together with some more lighting and civil works.

But in a month's time, I will be back again and finally posting more progress pictures.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

Good to hear from you, Paul.  And best of luck with the 1:1 construction.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Excellent build.

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

good to know you are ok

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

just as there are progressions to a build,  there must also be improvements to the room that houses it......look forward in see what you've been up to ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Good morning to all, :piratetongueor4:

Many thanks for your support and understanding.

Popeye - You will soon see - Basically, I am refurbishing the room, in order to have the Scharnhorst displayed in in final resting place; a wall to wall display showcase, which shall also house the Graf Zeppelin. The room shall be my little private museum, where my modest collection of firearms shall be displayed as well, together with my collection of militaria and scale models.

Will post some pictures as soon as the room is ready.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

Good morning all, B)

I am posting some pictures relating the progress carried out so far on the redecorating and civil modifications carried out, to create my little private world of modelling.

Here goes.

post-435-0-18576900-1379914637_thumb.jpg

DO YOU RECOGNISE THIS ROOM - SURELY MORE ORGANISED THAN IT USED TO BE & CLEANER.

post-435-0-74997300-1379914647_thumb.jpg

As you may notice, I scrapped the large table on which the Scharnhorst rested, as I shall soon start off with the construction of the display cases and cabinets. Thus requiring all the space I need, and the large table was becoming more of an obstruction then of help.

post-435-0-74478800-1379914656_thumb.jpg

The corner leading to the corridor.

post-435-0-42176600-1379914666_thumb.jpg

The small corridor, leading to the garage area.

post-435-0-43784600-1379914675_thumb.jpg

The left hand side corner. The large wooden box, was part of the storage for my WW2 rifles, but now It shall be turned into a display case. The picture also shows the arched door leading to the workshop.

post-435-0-51875600-1379914683_thumb.jpg

I had to construct a door way, in order to separate the room from the rest of the basement area. I constructed this from lime stone, including the door linthyl. Finally a strong lockable timber door shall secure the room under lock and key.

post-435-0-96292200-1379914692_thumb.jpg

I had to put in another beam to strengthen the structure. This time a concrete beam with steel reinforcement.

post-435-0-09210100-1379914704_thumb.jpg

Last but not the least - the most important area in our private world - the poo poo room. I managed to create enough space to fit it in.

Shall post more pictures next week.

DO NOT WORRY GUYS - I SHALL SOON BE BACK AND POSTING SCHARNHORST PICS.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

WOW Paul that looks fantastic

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Funfantastic job Paul!

Nice and clean. Now you can start to mess the whole room again with posters,frames, shelves...

Did you do it all by yourself or you hired the work? It´s allways a good time to get rid of all that we acomulate as years and years passed. Are you going to build another table to work on? Being there in an island, do you have problems with the humidity of the air?

Congratulations!

Daniel.

to dream of a workshop like that is well beyond my grasp ;)    very nice!   that one picture show the emence-ness of the ship.....love it!:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Paul,

I love the workshop. Most of all I am overwhelmed by the photo of Scharnhorst on the trestles. It is awe inspiring. 

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Paul,

Now that is beautiful, and you did it all which makes it even better. I am in the process of finally moving this week, I have someone doing the cellar for me so that I can get as much space as possible and at the same time have it cut off from where the washer and dryer and hot water heater and so forth or not in the same section. In fact I am meeting him in a couple of hours to go to Home Depot to get all the lumber ( I get a 10% vet discount ) and then he will let me know how much electric wire and plugs and breakers I need, those I will get from another place and get my friends discount ( he is a manager ). He will have it done in two days for me because the new kitchen cabinets and counter tops will be in and also the carpet. The whole place will be done over for me and all I have to pay for is the materials for the work shop. And then I will be finally out of hell and can get started on my build, and I have a heck of a lot of them, but the Confederacy will be first, have to finished the CAD work for the frames. Here is a picture of where I am at now.

post-163-0-40809200-1379931557_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-92209600-1379931557_thumb.jpg

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Hello Joe, :dancetl6:

I can fully understand you. To move in is the most difficult process of all. I had my share as well, as both mw and my wife had to pack all the things we had at our parents dwellings and transport everything to our new home.

You seem to be very good at AutoCAD. I have to find some time to learn the 3D, so that I can finally buy the 3D printer and produce all the difficult parts.

I guess that this is the most difficult part of the job - that is - designing all the frames. Once this is ready, it will all be up to your good and able hands to do the rest, coupled of course with hours of patience and dedication.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

The Cad work was first trace using AutoCAD and then everything else is being done with SoildWorks which is a heck of a lot harder but more rewarding since I can move and see in any way that I want. There is no framing plan at any of the museums so had to do a lot of research and ask and talk with people like Chuck, which I am lucky enough to have been able to talk in person with, he has been a big help with this. A real good friend of mine is a master with SoildWorks and has been teaching me what they couldn't teach me in Collage, plus he knows ships inside and out and never seems to amaze me every time we get together. It is a learning experience every time and I love it, now that I will be in my own place and with out the stress and BS I will be able to get back to working on her and at the same time teaching myself CNC software for the 4 axes machine, the hands are shot to H*ll, to much surgery on both of them. I will be making her in 1/48 scale and that will be big LOL.

Wacko

Hello Paul,

I see you have been busy, i hope you are both well ,nice improvements on work shop, i bet Wallis is pleased,

your attention to finish is like your modelling first class   

my self i am not to well , had little bit of a heart problem but under control with drugs  Brenda sends her regards  and is well, 

to the fellow modellers out there Paul is a fine host I am  privileged to have dined in that kitchen and had a grand tour of the lovely home,

and seen the old work shop , and Paul's collection of arms and his many other collection all modelled to museum standards,

he is a man of many talents ,   and a good fellow ,.......

will follow this build to the end,......cheers Larry...... 

Paul, I was amazed by your boat and now by your house. I showed my wife the pictures of your kitchen and your handmade wooden cabinets. We were both slack jawed by your craftsmanship. My home was built by professional builders and it is nowhere as nice as yours. What is missing, I think, is the personal touch. Our cabinets look sterile and professional, because they came off an assembly line. Yours look organic and homely. Just gorgeous. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Good morning all, ;) 

Manky thanks to all of you. Your kind and encouraging comments are just the right potion to boost up my moral meter and continue. I have to admit, that many a times, I end up in a cross roads situation, but thanks to God, I always seem to have taken the right decisions. Just can't wait to start posting progress pics again.

Hello Larry - Didn't know that you had heart problems - I'm sorry mate - hope you are better now. Just take it easy. We are not getting younger. Only yesterday, I shifted some timber planks to make way for other things and could hardly get up from bed this morning. Please give my best regards to your wife, and hope to see you again next Summer here in Malta. By that time my little museum project shall be finished.

Hello Amfibius - thanks for looking in and for the kind words. As I said, it's the rude attitude of others that forced me to do all the works at home. The only contractor, that entered my house, installed the aluminium windows, after which I ended up with a nice number of aquariums; with condensate water which generated between the double glazing. I plan to have them scrapped by next year. I shall order the windows from Sicily or Germany and install them myself.

Once again - Thanks guys.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

I never question the length of a build..........with as many as I have in the works......I have first hand knowledge of the pains that go into them......    I can see how you spend your time.........very well,  as far as I can see  :)   seeing your kitchen,  the rest of your home must be a palace!  beautiful..........simply beautiful ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Beautiful kitchen! what a nice job Paul.

I have similar expirience since I made my own house from an old stone shed of the nineteenth century... It only took seven years to acomplished the whole thing. This summer I have finished all the frames (22) and the doors (12). That´s why I could not be modelling a lot. As you, there´s lots of things to do but now is habible and seven years ago it was nothing but a ruin.

post-87-0-93802000-1380180560_thumb.jpg

the ruin, looks in good shape but believe me it was not.

post-87-0-75020500-1380180754_thumb.jpg

demolishing the roof, all the timber had woodworms, I could use none of them.

post-87-0-67298600-1380181570_thumb.jpg

post-87-0-08112500-1380181805_thumb.jpg

New pillars and beams, really fun stuff with the chainsaw and 200mm nails. At this time I joined the old MSW 1.0 getting traped with EdT´s Naiad... and then I joined the Triton project

post-87-0-87918400-1380182023_thumb.jpg

And the final result, still lots of things to do.

Best wishes Paul! There is something priceless when you do the things by yourself.

Daniel.

Amazing build.....love the scale

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 4 weeks later...

Paul i am about to start the Trumpeter 1/200 Bismarck, do you have a recommendation for a good ref guide to use

the above photo's show some lovely work

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello Kevin,

A friend of mine has just bought that kit, and can say that Trumpeter has just proved itself as one of the best scale model manufacturers in the world. There is also a photo edged aftermarket set + timber deckings for this kit.

Master Barrel of Poland has also issued the brass barrels for the main guns, the secondary armament and the AA guns.

There is quite a lot of information on the Bismarck, especially book and videos. The AJ-Press set of five books on the Bismarck is a wonderful reference, full of useful photos and plans.

Browse also the Bismarck.dk forum.

When it comes to plastic kits, I can give you some guidelines on the assembly techniques.

The most important thing is not to rush. Do one bit at a time and make sure that you have the right scalpel surgical blades to enable you to separate the parts from the sprue, and clean off the joint lines and access plastic.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

Paul is right about "Master Barrel of Poland". I got all the guns and barrels from them for the 1/200 ( 1/192 scale, but not that much size difference ) USS Missouri, it was good service with them. They also have a lot more for your ship them for mine. Someday I will start her.

Wacko