DKM Scharnhorst by Paul Salomone - 1:72nd Scale German WW2 Heavy Battle Cruiser

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Kevin, :)

That is quite a good site. I browse that site from time to time, as they always add something new.

One of the most important things is research. for example - in 1:200 scale, items like control cables and electrical line must be present in the model. The 3D Bismarck site, show the fuse setter assembly, which was mounted on each side of the twin 105mm diameter anti-aircraft mounting. The image shows also the control and power wiring. In your scale that wiring is a must. A bit hard and delicate, I Know - but you will surely get the best out of your model my friend.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

paul 

how would you make scale cable runs on a 1/200 are they a pe kit or scratch

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin, ;) 

You can easily represent the cabling by using fine transformer copper wire, in 0.05mm, 0.1mm, 0.2mm, 0.3mm and 0.4mm diameter.

I use mostly 0.05 and 0.1mm diameter. You can obtain this wire from old battery operated watches and radios.

Cheers

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

Hey Paul, I didn't know that the Scharnhorst had such large wooden doors  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  :P

Very nice looking too and thanks for shipping the copper for my props.  I am patiently waiting for the arrival  :dancetl6:

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

so many really cool videos....thanks for posting the link  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Looking Beautiful Paul!  Congratulations!!

Those clamps of do not Know how many meters are astonishing. Are they handmade? What´s the length they can be opened? Amazing clamps.

Cheers.

Daniel.

Good morning Daniel,

The clamps are of the 'G' type having a length of 1200mm (48"). I just had the idea of bolting two together, to obtain an overall working length of 210cm (84").

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

• 1 month later...

good evening all, :cheers:

just a small note to wish you all fine friends a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year, with loads of modeling fun.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

and to you too Paul..........hope to see you back at the helm next year!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Paul, 

a belated new year to you and family,

been of the site for sometime hart problem   have had pace maker fitted, so on the up.. cheers Larry...

Edited by larry w

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, :piratebo5:

a belated happy new year to all. Sorry for the long absence, but am still doing house jobs, they seem to be never ending. hope to have averything clear by next month, as I really miss my Scharnhorst, and the conversations with you guys.

see you all very soon.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

I miss you too Paul..........hurry back  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think it safe to say that many of us have missed the build log and are REALLY looking forward to seeing that amazing detail again - I almost got over the addiction and here you go teasing us again :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Many happy returns Paul

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 2 months later...

Good morning all, :piratebo5:

It feels good to be back - Oh Boy - Finally I am posting again.

First of all, many thanks for my birthday wishes.

Some more progress on the work boats.

Here goes.

I have also posted a couple of pics, showing my new working station. we import quite a lot of equipment, so I aquire quite of all sorts of timber, which is used for packing and boxing. A bit of recycling, but seems to be getting there. still have to attend to some finishing work on the drawers. But at least, I can get back to work.

the frames of the boats are made from the usual styrene plastic sheets, using the 1mm thickness, accompanied by my companions - the Ever green styrene strips.

Just one question. My work PC is equipped with the latest windows 8, I tried to post the pictures, by of course clicking on (Add to post), but with no success. Am I doing something wrong, or has it something to do with the windows 8 - as I heard that it's giving quite a lot of problems.

post-435-0-21501200-1397109119_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-36056900-1397109130_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-59286800-1397109141_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-05863300-1397109152_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-14449500-1397109173_thumb.jpg

post-435-0-08375900-1397109192_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

Just one question. My work PC is equipped with the latest windows 8, I tried to post the pictures, by of course clicking on (Add to post), but with no success. Am I doing something wrong, or has it something to do with the windows 8 - as I heard that it's giving quite a lot of problems.

Hi Paul,

First off, fantastic build and looking forward to more updates now that you're going again.

As for the 'Add to post' problem, I had the same issue and it is caused by the latest version of Explorer. If you can downgrade one version it will allow you use the 'Add to post' functionality.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

lovely to see you back at the MSW work bench

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Great to see you back and posting again Paul.

I have a solution for your Windows 8 problem.............buy a Mac! :P;)

Thanks guys, 

Glad to be back amongst friends.

Yes Windows 8 is a big pain in the XXX. my office computor is equipped with it, so I have to suffer, but at least at home, my pc is equipped with windows 7. So I should be able to post the pics in a better format.

Hello Daniel, - yes I made it out of boxing timber. I see that it is a real waste to see all that timber going to the scrap heap. I use it quite a lot. yes it is more laborative; but at the same time, looks like pine.

Brian, Jim, Wackowolf, kevin and Grant - thanks for looking in.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

I heard the windows 8 was a problem anyway......I need to change from XP {but I hate to} I will either go to Vista or W7. I recently changed my browser.....too many pop ups......but I'm much better now! :)

it's so good to see your back.....I was missing your wonderful work!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Paul

It’s great that you’re back and working again on your beautiful monster.

(@ Popeye: do yourself a favor and go to W7. Vista is far worse than W8.)

Cheers

Peter

Welcome home, mate!  Looking forward to more of your superb progress.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956