HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Thanks so much for the heads up Eamm and Tom.. Tightened up the throat and is now sitting at about 30 degrees. Will take it up a little higher.

post-7066-0-93885300-1402796892_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

Okay I think im with you guys on the flag... I will prefer it without.. Enough said..  Part of me wanted to use it because i bought it...

Well o well, i cant believe it! no more blocks, rings eyebolts etc etc.. :D  Not that i havn't enjoyed it..  At first i was like what is all this stuff ruining my build, it all just looked a bit funny. Until ALL the rigging was in place, now i think it really makes the model..

I might have to adjust boom up just a bit and do all the rope coils on belaying points and cleats and i am almost done...

I had this wild idea that things would kind of get easier towards the end! No sir.. It's difficult right to the end o frigging, oh i mean rigging ;)

I'm sure these last coils will test me, it just gets so scary and tricky having to work amongst tight spaces and im glad i dont have huge wide hands..

I also kept feeling i was close to the end of the build and it keeps going! Yes It still is..  For those who have started more than one ship without finishing their first, I think you really should follow one through first to know all the aspects.  The build changes dramatically throughout... There are stages that feel and are totally different to each other. Towards the end it becomes a whole new game with the rigging and the risks of damaging your previous many months or years of work is very. You dont need amny tools towards to the end but lots of patience...   At times i bumped rigging lines and scared myself, the strength of the whole thing has surprised me at times.. 

Anyway, I'm on a bit of a high and the pictures are not doing it justice, I really need to get outside and do some natural light shots. perhaps down the creek...  Will take some detailed shots soon...    Ollie

post-7066-0-17663000-1402830628_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-34767000-1402830653_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-74951500-1402830677_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-65970400-1402830761_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-63346500-1402830845_thumb.jpg

Well in that moment of glee I noticed another kit error, the topping lift needed to be mounted lower down at bottom mast cap.. Fixed that and raised the boom a little.. Looks better :-)

post-7066-0-05485600-1402835745_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-54906000-1402867673_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

Ollie,

The gaff angle still looks a little 'flat' for cutters in general, however the drawing and also the painting of her meeting the Makassar trepangers show it at exactly that angle, so leave it as is.  That painting also shows her carrying a much larger ensign, however that may be artistic licence to show clearly that she was a British ship, although ships of the time tended to carry very large ensigns.

As a personal choice I think I'd leave the ensign off unless you intend to rig her with sails as well.  With bare rigging the ensign draws the eye away from the model.

John

Brilliant work Ollie. I see the Jacobs Creek is empty - just as it should be when you are celebrating your fine work!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Yes that looks about right on the gaff ... much better!! I don't know about you but I prefer to go with what looks right than do all the math that you have to on a real sail boat. I have and don't like to spend 4 days in calculations....you can probably get a program to do it in a couple of minutes now a days   rats!

Tom

Hi gang, hope you are all well... Well the glee continued today..  I negotiated the cabinet for a price i liked and got my mate to help me move it and set it up...   When i got it all setup and light turned on i couldn't believe how well it suits..  There is a even gap all around the ship, same distance from top of mast to top and bow and stern to sides..   Anyway the photos really don't do it justice,, It was just meant to be.. 

It is not completely airtight, (gaps between glass..  but i think that is good in this environment to have some amount of airflow....

I made a jig and started coils for belaying points this morning...   Over and out, Ollie :D

post-7066-0-21315600-1403007750_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-66604000-1403007779_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-41105200-1403007812_thumb.jpg

A good pick-up there Ollie - as you say it suits the model.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks gang...    John, The AL Endeavour should fit but a bit tight to look as good....  I really think i like the smaller ships anyway..  Looking at the plans and im a bit daunted by the big girl, perhaps i should have grabbed a long boat..

So it has taken me some time to get my technique going for these rope coils for belaying points...

How do you think they are looking?

The sun is out today! So an outdoor shoot. We have had the strangest weather this year,, rain and cloud for months...

Ollie

post-7066-0-97119800-1403146232_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-43441000-1403146379_thumb.jpg

Ollie,

I assume that the style of your coils is as per the kit instructions and indeed you will see a lot of models on the forum with coils made up exactly like that.  You'll also see such coils on many modern replicas and restored ships, however the traditional method of make up coils was a simple coil dropped over the pin, as you will see in many contemporary photos of old sailing ships.

The photos below date from the 1840's  (first photo) and 1850's (second photo) and shown perhaps not in brilliant clarity, what I mean.

John

post-5-0-50820500-1403147985_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-21078500-1403148009_thumb.jpg

Cheers Tom..   That is good to know John.. I wish i asked before... I think i might have to stick with this method though.. Im having enough trouble getting these fitted.. theres not much space betewwn belaying pin and belayed line, this way i can just hook that one loop over...  The cord i have left is not that great.. Regards Ollie

Edited by olliechristo

I reckon this issue is one for your eye.

My AVS coils are probably wrong but I can live with them and like them.

John's photos show that there is a lot of rope around and I guess that whether you are presenting for inspection or in port or just hard running a ship at sea would make a big difference. John's first photo is of a ship that lacks discipline!

I worked on a commercial rope rigged ship - a freighter - and we took a lot of care with the ropes. I would always coil the ropes after use and tie them off when their use was completed. This was simple wrap between the hands and the elbow followed by a quick half-hitch before being placed on the pin or cleat. We would leave them loose coiled while working but tie the coil off also, as you show it, when in port and not working. So I say it depends on so many conditions and moments in a ships day to day aspects. You can choose! The ropes as you have them look exactly right to my eye for a certain configuration of the ship at a certain time.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi again Ollie, those photos of your Mermaid look like a real ship along side a quay wall Mate.. don't think I can say a better or higher compliment than that !    Am best pleased for you.. your ropes look grand by the way, as I said 'Like a real ship..'  :)

Eamonn

Edited by egkb

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Ok gang! That is it for the HM Mermaid :dancetl6:

If i muck around with anything else i will damage things in the pursuit of 'tidying up'..  Im a little haphazard with rigging.. It was a bit of a battle at the end..

Ok so I have rattled off a bunch of pics and i will try some more on a sunny day, the overcast light does work well though, a couple of these are indoor under lights...     Ollie :D

post-7066-0-76865900-1403491586_thumb.jpg