HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Leanne,, I"m glad i can return something, for all the help i have had is what has made this build what it is.. The whole MSW forum is a godsend..

I look forward to seeing your build log surface :)

John thanks for the compliments, i have a tendency towards wanting perfection, which can be a downfall at times, i came to the conclusion that ratlines were probably not perfect anyway..

Anyway the second time they have come up neater, although i did redo a few to get it right, too much sag on some.. also had a flame up and two rungs burnt out :o that was exciting/scary..  one has gotta be quick with the flame if burning fuzz..

When i stand back and look at it all, the ratlines and shrouds are really making it look close to done..      Onto back stays next..  steady as she goes, as i want to soak up the last parts of this marvelous journey..   Ollie

post-7066-0-01282600-1400660818_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

That's real nice work on your ratlines mate, especially as this is your first go!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I think your model is a really good piece of work.

One question, is the model painted on one side (starboard) or does it just look that way in the photos?

Personally, I like the natural look better.

Great job.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Ken, yes i decided to do it this way so I could have a go at coppering and paint.. Port side is my more historically accurate side... I prefer the natural side also... But the other side looks good too.. regads Ollie

I have been preparing all the parts for rear stays, sanding and filing blocks and clear coating them, painting straps, eye bolts etc.

I have been looking at bowsprit for some time knowing it is rising too much..( sill not fitted..) Kit says to have it about 5 degrees which looks right with historical sketches..

I can either make groove deeper or rebuild bowsprit rail to be higher... It must be a kit error.. although it doesn't say how deep to cut into bulwark...

Also would it have been lashed in or a pin to hold it through uprights of railing?

Regards Ollie

post-7066-0-06210300-1400843509_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-79997400-1400843520_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry about the angle. Leave as is IMO - if you are few degrees out who will know.

Don't know about lashings or pins but it does feel like it needs some form of fixing. It can't have been lashed to the pin rail on the bits - way too much force against those...I don't know. Sorry not much help.

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Ollie ... On some cutters the bits were taller and an Iron rod was used to adjust the height of the butt of the Jib...this moved the pin rail aft to adjoin the windlass bits. But I don't think that will work here ... maybe a larger notch in the jib and a supporting bar or extra wood above the rail would work?? An idea anyway.

Tom

Another thought ... invert the jib and place a bar for more wood for support in other words place the Jib above the rail and see if that works.

I myself would draw it up to scale an check it out before cutting anything or deciding anything first!

Edited by ringbolt2013

Ollie,

The bowsprit definitely needs to be "flatter" - almost no upward rake would be about right.  It was probably secured by an iron pin through the bitts. It was quite common for the top of a cutter's bowsprit to be about level with the top of the rail, although King's paintings appear to show it sitting on top of the rail.  How is it secured at the bow - by a spectacle iron?

John

Thanks Geoff, Alistair...  

Tom and John, i think this solves the problem.. I thought i could let this problem slide, but it was going to bug me forever, Yes it needs to be almost flat... A spectacle iron?? hmm you got me there mate...

I am about to spend a few hours in the den to unwind..  , so im onto it..   More great help understanding these little cutters..

Bindy! nice to have you pop in, thanks and hope you are doing well...   Be back with more pics in coming days..

Nice one.. problem solved!! I will add the spectacle iron, probably out of black card, saturated with satin clear coat,..  I feel much better about the arrangement in many ways... Thanks gang... Get back to you when i have backstays done.. Regards Ollie

post-7066-0-02300400-1400918226_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-26876600-1400918234_thumb.jpg

Here is Phillip Parker King's Sketch for reference for some late in the log.. .. This is probably the best drawing to work off that is in existence.. 

Here is a great pdf link for those who have not read.. Amazing history this little cutter had.. was later refitted into an armed Schooner..

http://www.anmm.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Signals86_Mermaid.pdf

post-7066-0-18829300-1400918519_thumb.png

Edited by olliechristo

Yes I'm happier with it.. Yeah I'm actually enjoying the rigging.. One of the strange ones

.but yeah still a bit to go buddy.. Regards Oliver

Still following your build and still amazed. Real neat work. I don't mind a bit of the rigging either.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Okay been working out the backstays, been a lot more to it than i imagined, lots of fiddly bits to rig and metal to paint.. Gave up on blackening a while back, too many variations in metals..  too many varied outcomes..  

Anyway with some help from Jimlad, i have deviated from the plans a little, had  a bit of indecision with the cleats but think they are okay vertical. Would work better like that i figure..  tight squeeze between canons etc..

I lost one of the chainplates after forgetting it was on a book drying..  off the deck i think..  Would make one up myself but cant find the appropriate brass handy so just ordered some pre made ones that should be identical, ordered 4 anyway..  ..  that may hold up starboard backstay, but will fiddle with other small rigging tasks, adding eyebolts and cleats to hull for next stages.. planning fiddling.. :)

Hopefully this looks okay John! Regards and thanks to all... Ollie

post-7066-0-08768000-1401177630_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-28062600-1401177646_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-86297700-1401177661_thumb.jpg

Edited by olliechristo

About right will do!! cheers John and everyone else onboard.. Just looked through all i have to do and its not that much considering how far i have come!!! Ollie

Hi gang. I have some progress to show...  Backstays done except for that pesky part  lost which is in the post...  So not reeved up yet..

post-7066-0-83178100-1401369307_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-78363300-1401369322_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-94320100-1401369340_thumb.jpg

I have also done my topsail (or is spreader)  shrouds.  I have redone a few things and a few more to do, decided to downsize some of the original kit supplied eye bolts for smaller..

I was a bit concerned with the way the shrouds  angle back aft from spreader but i think this is ok, certainly wouldn't want to protrude forward any as would interfere with yard...

starting to look a bit busy up top now!!!

Regards Ollie

post-7066-0-00369700-1401369615_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-42699100-1401369633_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-29241000-1401369651_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-45822000-1401369666_thumb.jpg

Okay I got my top mast shrouds all finished, seized and tidy....   Then I notice i have made a mistake!   

I should have attached top of shrouds a little higher than eyebolts and put a brass ring around mast to come off... Oh well I think I will have to live with this one and it may not be too much of an issue, certainly wont stand out in the grand scheme of things..   Lesson learned, examine the plans 8 times not 7! 

Other than tearing down that whole step and redoing it. its not a 'fixable' I think.. Plus i would probably run short on black cord then..

When i look at the historic sketches it looks as if all top ropes meet at a similar point anyhow...  Also looks like only one of these shrouds per side..  Onwards

Ollie

post-7066-0-82850500-1401493059_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-86917700-1401493074_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-30421900-1401493100_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-83995600-1401493112_thumb.jpg