HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Thinking what I could do for a cover up? Like a cleat over the hole for example... .. Or maybe just leave the holes.. Thanks as always everyone on board... :-)

Nice... i have another query...  I want to do bowsprit guy ropes tonight... Just wondering how this lashing is done? Im sure its simple.. I figure it just doubles back from ring to ring..but unsure ..

Plans dont really explain it and picture is rough...  Any help/tips much appreciated... thanks Ollie

post-7066-0-02518100-1402031447_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-44264800-1402031462_thumb.jpg

Excellent John... 

So I have completed lifts. main yard required some weight to give rope tension (used pegs).. otherwise it just pulled the yard upwards..  It still needs some tension from fore and aft braces which are next on agenda.

Top sail was no worries as it is fixed.. I spliced tiny eyebolts into top shrouds to run top lifts through as if they were grommets of some description.

post-7066-0-57352900-1402061290_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-27447400-1402061319_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-66393800-1402061348_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-04387700-1402061373_thumb.jpg

Also got the bowsprit guys done.. went ok but i think my lashing could have been better.... Looks ok i think, rope just clears anchors within a reasonable distance at their most raised position..   Regards Ollie

post-7066-0-36715800-1402061512_thumb.jpg

:)I love the idea of flattening soldering wire for banding.. I could use that for all sorts of detailing...

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Continues to look amazing Ollie. A great piece of craft.

Not sure what you have in mind for mounting but a little trick I did for the AVS is as follows:

- Easily found brass pedestals.

- The trick is to rebate the base board so that the base of the pedestal is recessed into the base board. This is epoxy glued in place. This makes it very stable. The ships keel can then be epoxy glued onto the pedestals with no other treatment required - but I did add a panel pin from underneath into the keel. Solid as a rock. I also like the pedestal being flush to the baseboard rather than sitting on top of it.

Just a thought, you may have better plans. Attached.

post-259-0-28151500-1402281003.jpg

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

HI gang, Yes Alistair i have thought about pedestals, I have no fear of achieving it with my solid keel epoxied in place it is very strong... 

Im not sure if i will do it, i think i prefer having the hull "unfixtured" Is that a word, i think not but anyway i think i will go with the cradle...

I have spent some time making the cradle look okay and it looks okay i think.. a clear perspex one would be nice..

post-7066-0-02924600-1402478637_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-04958600-1402478650_thumb.jpg

I have rigged my braces to main yard. went well, just need to finish them to belaying pins etc..  top braces next and onto other bits such as cluelines and sheets..  new members - click on images for large versions..  

Later, Ollie

post-7066-0-53063300-1402478817_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-61880900-1402478853_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-28618700-1402478864_thumb.jpg

Ollie

The cradle looks amazing - I mean that! A softer option than the pedestals but a good one. The rest of the rigging looks spot on as well. Great stuff.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers buddy.. I lined it with acoustic felt. I have considered other options. Still may, but if you say it looks the goods, I might have to trust you. Ollie

Ollie ... Looks like it is almost time to think about a case. I throw that idea out there because all that work is sooooo nice and it would be a shame to break something when you dust it or if you have children about the place at any time. And believe me dust will come from America and it will bring all it's relatives just because you have one of those sailing ship models.  I know it sounds crazy but ask the rest of the boys and girls!!  You are doing some great work there Ollie and I would like to see it last!

Tom

That looks the absolute Cat's Pyjamas Ollie ^_^ the sticky up bits and the sticky out bits all seem to be where they should be. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: what's up next.. the Boom/Gaff ?

Stay Well Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Geoff. Tom, display has been on my mind for a few weeks now. Just made one for my metal detecting relics... I'm.thinking of getting a big standing timber case/cupboard. It has two glass doors on.front.. Or I may make one.. But yes it has to happen.. Eamm buddy, cheers. Next is top yard braces, cluelines and sheets, then booms.. Regards Oliver and

Hi Ollie

I'm not a fan of cases - it turns a model into a massive object which I know I can't deal with in my house. So I live with the dust and the model feels much more free and delicate. Careful cleaning with a soft brush deals with the dust issue but even the dust you can't get to gives it a certain patina which I don't mind. My opinion maybe rare here on MSW...

Cheers

Alistair

I understand what you are saying Alistair , but here in the tropical rainforest, dust is only one concern,,  spiders webs and even worse, spider poo! and gecko poo and mould and mildew... Um its great here.. haha

I will be adding a humidity sensor inside case and probably some silica gel etc..   I want to be able to access model though for close up viewing, its not going to be locked away untouchable,,just to certain people  ! :)  Ollie

Hi gang..  It may not look much but i have added my top yard braces, cluelines and sheets and jib stay.. 

She's looking pretty busy up top now!

i have added a picture of the cabinet i have my eye on.. I like that it is not sharp and square or rectangular, has room for a few models, i already have some from years gone by that need shelter (plastics)..  Should fit my Endeavour also hopefully...     I also like the built in lighting and the fact you can see all the way around.. lighting shouldn't be necessary .. Anyway see  what happens... Thanks for looking in... Ollie

post-7066-0-20103600-1402666642_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-65617900-1402666671_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-21738800-1402666701_thumb.png

Hi crew...   I have added the throat halliard, parrell beads to gaff, peak halliard and flag hoist.. :cheers:

I bought a flag from Becc's site many months ago...

I am asking opinions on... 

Should i even add a flag?    Does this look okay size wise?   Does anyone have any tips for fixing to hoist to be more realistic than just wrapping around rope like instructions say...   

Thanks for looking in.. Ollie

post-7066-0-35863400-1402740206_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-28320600-1402740235_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-97558400-1402740274_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-18717800-1402740325_thumb.jpg

The kit supplied a paper flag, not very good...   Also i rigged my peak halliard different to kit instructions and with using Parker King's sketch as reference of course...  The differecnce is the termination on gaff at top end instead of back down to belaying pin..  Olllie

Looks amazing Ollie - just brilliant.

I had the flag question with my AVS and made two flags for it. My wife, with her good eye, said how much they diverted attention from the model = she hated them. I left them off. She was right. They catch the eye and take away from all else. If you had sails on her flags are a positive add but without sails a flag is a distraction. In your last photo my eye goes straight to the flag rather than to all else you have done. My opinion again - I may be out of favour with others here with this thought!

BTW - put it in a case. We only have dust here, the stuff you describe is not on the menu for model presentation...

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Ollie, I with Leaving the Flag off too (that said it does look rather well.. ^_^  ^_^ ) as it might distract from your Kick-As* model !!

BTW could the Gaff be 'topped' a little more, she looks a little flat ? give the old Peak Halyard a little tug :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I think she will look so much better.. what do you think? :rolleyes:  (Although you probably haven't finished adjusting it yet ! ^_^ )

The case looks the biz too, the last thing you'd want is to have some of the critters I saw on TV taking a shine on Mermaid as their next residence.. they were big, they were hairy and I'd be afraid of them !! :P

Stay Well Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄