Francis Pritt by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Australian Mission Ship

Hello John

I have just unearthed your log ... and what a finding - greatI like the choice of your subject of build, because I like rather more the civilian applications than the martial - although I have of course enthusiasm, for the constructional technical aspects and the fat lines of the old warriors.

I look forward to following the progress of your build.

Regards

Mike

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, all the hull planks are finally on! While I enjoy planking, I'm really glad that this part of the build is completed and I can get on with other stuff - like drilling lots of holes and then filling them in again - otherwise known as treenailing!

Here are some photos of what she looks like at the moment.

John

One Plank to go!

post-5-0-29948900-1423202390_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-08942800-1423202397_thumb.jpg

No Planks to go!!

post-5-0-57380900-1423202403_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-96166600-1423202410_thumb.jpg

And a close up of the partly cleaned up stern just to see what it might look like later.

post-5-0-90914100-1423202418_thumb.jpg

Beautiful planking. Looking forward to seeing it sanded out and finished. Great work.

Russ

Looks great, John.  Are you going for just wood treenails or the metal nails also?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What they said John, beautiful.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Guys I met John on Wednesday after endeavour returned to the maritime museum and had a good look at this beautiful little boat and pics don't do it justice. It was good to meet you John and to see the pritt

looks awesome John......very nice  'plank planning'  indeed!  love the shape of the hull :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Seeing that last plank go in brings a big smile for today.  Go do some 'drillin' and fillin' !!

Gorgeous!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks again one and all!

Bamboo for the treenails and, no, I'm never tempted to leave one or two planks out - 'though I am tempted to one day build a model with far more detailed framing and one side left in frame and the other planked.

It was good to meet Bedford on Wednesday at the museum - a man with a very new understanding of what the sea can do! ;)  :)

John

Great milestone John; especially with the number of interruptions I have caused :)  that planking looks spot on.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had quite a bit of extra time at the museum of late, filling in for one of the model makers who has a few health issues.  As a result I've managed to get quite a bit of work done on the 'Pritt'.

The treenailing of the hull is now complete and the low kick rail has been fitted and treenailed.

The photos show the hull treenailed and rough sanded.

The next steps will be to finish sanding the hull; thin down the kick rail stiffeners to a more scale like dimension and then fit the rubbing strake.  After that I'll give the hull a coat of finish to protect it and then get on with the capping rail and the deck.

In the fourth photo below you'll see that the stern is quite open above the deck.  This was quite usual for the T.I. pearlers - the capping rail is supported on three knees across the stern.  This configuration allowed for very quick and easy cleaning of the deck after sorting and cleaning pearl shell by simply hosing and sweeping all the rubbish over the stern.

John

post-5-0-34165700-1424846308_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-74362800-1424846316_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-80723900-1424846322_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-45006700-1424846335_thumb.jpg

John:

The tree nailing came out really well. The lines of the planking are outstanding. Nice work.

Russ

nice planking Job on that hull John,

Looks great.....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

a clear coat should enhance them quite nicely..........very nice indeed!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Form follows function.  Beautifully crisp!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Beautiful work John!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 3 weeks later...