Francis Pritt by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Australian Mission Ship

• 1 month later...

Another very small update. 

Last time I was in the museum I temporarily abandoned the deck clamps in favour of starting to fit the bilge stringers, as one of the other model makers came in and wanted to photograph the process of inserting treenails for an article he was writing and the bilge was easier for his camera focus.

What with photos, yarning about model making and an extended lunch in the museum café, I didn't get much done! ;)  :)

John

post-5-0-14852900-1407977906_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-05320600-1407977911_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-93597400-1407977914_thumb.jpg

John:

It looks great. There is nothing quite like a framed hull. The lines of hull are beautiful. I especially like the overhead photo with the frames nicely spaced and faired.

Russ

I am hoping to have one of those days this coming Saturday at our new Maritime and Seafood Industry Museum here in Biloxi. No chores, just me sitting working on a few models at the museum. :)

Russ

John:

I hear ya. I have done this before at the annual wooden boat festival. Not many questions about the toilets then, but I have gotten my share of comments about patience, balsa wood, and standard time length of build. The answer to the latter is, "as long as it takes." :)

Russ

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't update my log after my last regular visit to the museum as when I got there I found that I'd forgotten to pack the wood I needed to continue building! :blush:

I therefore spent most of the day talking to visitors and having cups of coffee in the members lounge!

On Friday I had some extra time at the museum desk so was able to do a bit of work on the 'counter rim frame' - pearling lugger jargon.  This is the frame that runs around the counter at deck level and onto which both the hull and deck planking butts.

Because it is fitted into the aftermost frames at deck level, fitting it is largely a case of 'suck it and see' (or trial and error).  So the roughed out frame is now glued and dowelled to the two aftermost frames ready for shaping.  By the time I'm at the museum next Wednesday the glue will be nicely cured and ready to work on.

The photos are, I think, pretty self explanatory.  The final one shows the typical kicked up stern of the Thursday Island luggers.

John

post-5-0-91591200-1410663899_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-34312100-1410663896_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-91153500-1410663902_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-92442900-1410663905_thumb.jpg