HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Yes, good pickup by Mike. Good thing you haven't gotten very far with the rigging, Pat. 

If you had your duplicator custom made, then I suppose no duplicator for me :( 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Hi Pat

It was me that first picked up the mistake, I posted it on my build log yesterday. I can understand your anger, but I agree with Keith at least you didn't get much further with your rigging.

Steve

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Hi Pat, I picked this up when I cross referenced to the Eaglemoss plan sheet, which although incorrect in detail-the sizes are pretty close. when I overlaid the scaled page from AOTS it was so far out I rechecked, and figured out the scaling error. Unfortunately I wasn't ready to post so couldn't warn you.

It appears that Steve is slightly ahead of me and did post a warning to everybody yesterday. I spotted your pics and noticed the that the top masts looked too high.

Thanks for looking in Keith, Steve and Mike.  Sorry Keith - my engineering man is tied up for a while (not with my work either).  I still need some adjustments on this as we get to know it better but it is a "nice" tool.

Appreciate this feedback re scale errors folks - nice pick up Steve.  I made the topmasts and poles some time back in preparation for rigging so no matter what, I would have had to redo them anyway - practice makes perfect they say.

I will have to take down the topmast shrouds, but they will be reusable as they will not be shorter :)  I have to find some positives.  You can bet your bottom dollar I will not be taking the published scales at face value anymore :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

HI Dave, many thanks for that but I have the dimensions now that I had to recalculate it all :blush: - but I do appreciate the offer.

cheers

Pat

G'day Pat from Sydney.

Firstly I would like to say, your model is great. I'm building one myself, and I would like to ask a simple, but maybe a dumb question. I was planning to make all the mask first and then put them on the hull and then do or the rigging etc. Is this wrong and why?

The reason why I was going to do it my way (I'm not Frank Sinatra lol) because I want to have the main topmask stay and the fore stay to be a "straight line". This is what I have found out from my own research on the net etc.

I've a document writen by naval painter who painted the replica of the HMB ENDEAVOUR. She done a lot of research on the original Endeavour, and she felt what she was told to paint was not the truth. Hence her article. Very interesting read. I will try to post a pdf of the article, so everyone can read it.

Cheers

Greg

Ps. The file is 3.4 megabytes and is too big. I will try to cut it in half if I can an post it later.

Greg

When I said painter, I mean to say artist. As you may be aware a naval artist are very exact in what they paint.

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

G'day Daverow

Dave the sizes of the fore and main mask is from the kellson not from the deck or waterline. The mizzen mask is from the first deck, if you choose the belief that the mizzen mask is taller than on the replica. Just my pennies worth.

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Hi Pat,

I agree with your concerns regarding the length of the Topmasts - they look too long in proportion to the lower masts. I'm at almost exactly the same stage on my Vulture (I have the fore topmast shrouds and main topmast stays fitted). Here's a pic for comparison. I've drawn some red lines so the tops of the topgallants are easier to see against the background :

January 2015 2.jpg

Be aware that Vulture is a warship and not a "discovery" ship, so the overall length of the masts will be a bit more than Endeavour.

I'm building one myself, and I would like to ask a simple, but maybe a dumb question. I was planning to make all the mask first and then put them on the hull and then do or the rigging etc. Is this wrong and why?
The reason why I was going to do it my way (I'm not Frank Sinatra lol) because I want to have the main topmask stay and the fore stay to be a "straight line".

Greg Pegleg - I've found that it's far better to first construct all the masts on the bench, but don't permanently fit the topmasts to the lower masts or the topgallants to the topmasts. That way you can slip the pairs of shrouds and the stays over the mast heads as per the "real thing". I permantley fit the next mast after doing all the standing rigging for the lower one. Take a look at THIS POST in my Vulture build log. It shows the shrouds and stays fitted to the mizzen mast, but the principle is the same for the other masts.

The main topmast stay and fore stay are two entirely different pieces of rigging and don't in fact line up with each other. They are also of different sizes of rope.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Greg, Danny has explained the process far more eloquently than me :)  That is basically the process I (have stumbled on) am using; as I said horses for courses.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi Greg the peg sailor,

The lengths in the spreadsheet are direct from the AOTS Table. And yes in my less experience as a builder assume the main mast lengths are stepped to the boats keel. Mizzen would be not as tall as Main.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hi Danny.

Thanks for your information about making. The mask that I asked for. Thanks again

Greg

Well, I have bit the bullet and stripped back the top masts and poles to be 'reengineered' this weekend.  Hopefully get it right this time.

cheers

Pat

Sorry I didn't post an alert in time. I will be checking anf cross referencing even more now.

Mike

Mike,

You might want to post this in the Books section and open a topic for the AOTS Endeavour book.   I suspect that anyone who's not following along or a new builder might not see these logs. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Janos, I'm envious of those gorgeous figureheads you make - let's just call it even :P  

cheers

Pat

Hi folks, the rebuilding process (for the topmasts and poles) has begun.  I remembered to take some photos this time and attempted to show the process I use with some hand tools, a lathe and mill.  This can all be done by hand as is evidenced in many fine build logs but I find this works for me.

This will be done in 4 instalments with the last being the cutting of the sheave holes which will come later (when all topmasts and poles have been produced).

I only managed to salvage one new topmast as either the old masts were too thin to apply the square or hexagon shape, or the sheath holes were in the wrong place.  It didn't take too long to get back into the swing of things, but at one mast component a day, it will take a wile - so grab a cuppa! (or something stronger if that floats your boat ;))

I first cut my stock into square dowel. 

post-385-0-28672400-1422172238_thumb.jpg

This is then placed in my shooting board ( a 'V' strip of hardwood with a stop at one end) and the stock is roughly rounded using a plane.

post-385-0-70816100-1422172690_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-86835300-1422172696_thumb.jpg

I then chuck it into my lathe with a free-spinning tail stock chuck and three jaw chuck.  I ensure there is ample waste at each end so that I can tightly chuck the ends without having to worry about damaging the stock or coming to close to the end of piece with the turning gouge, files and sandpaper blocks I use to round the stock and turn it to size.  This is done a little at a time with constant checking of size etc against the required dimensions.\

post-385-0-05809300-1422172705_thumb.jpg

Once finished I transfer the work to an indexing tool under the mill which I will show in the next instalment.

Cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi again,

The following photos show the milling stage (instalment 2).  The picture shows my setup and the various steps involved to mill the flats for the square base piece, the flats for the octagon (which is hand tapered later).  I think the shots are self-explanatory without further text.  Click on the thumbnails for a larger photo/better look.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-14515000-1422173315_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-58291200-1422173322_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-97604700-1422173329_thumb.jpg    post-385-0-83552700-1422173335_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN

Ok folks, here is the final instalment for today.  Having completed the mill work, the remainder is done by hand with a lot of measuring, checking, rechecking - and did I say rechecking :)

post-385-0-71274700-1422173511_thumb.jpg.   

The next photo shows one of my new topmasts (main) with a couple of the offcuts ftom my old topmasts, which shows just how out of scale they were.

post-385-0-98440100-1422173518_thumb.jpg

Some of the shaping I do in a small 'V' block

post-385-0-21585100-1422173529_thumb.jpg

I have now completed what I can for shaping as shown below and the next step will be milling in the slots for the sheathes etc.

post-385-0-39161000-1422173545_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking in - two down, mizzen topmast next, then the 2 poles for the fore and main.

cheers

Pat

Looks fantastic Pat. Your machine is amazing. I have to do all by hand

I will post pics soon

Thanks for looking in Mark, Tougharts and all; and for the comments Brian, Greg, John and Mike.  Once you get the hang of the workflow it goes smoothly enough.  The most challenging bit is tapering the hexagonal piece which can easily go so wrong :).

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Great step by step info there Pat.

That helps explain a few things as, I am long way away from making masts and spars, but have had a look in on them in the AOTS, and looked daunting to me.

I will be doing a lot of hand shaving and sanding I reckon, milling machine, what milling machine ?

I've made a home made Lathe, that's about where I'm at.

Keep up the great work in the shipyard Pat.

Dave R.

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Nice work on the masts,i guess i'll go out to the garage get my drill out and sandpaper,then sanding stick for the square sections.Lucky no onecares about my hobby at home.

Current builds: HMS Victory - Caldercraft 1:72

Completed builds: HMB Endeavour - OcCre 1:54   HMS Supply - Caldercraft 1:64. Fishing boats, Bremen,  Palamos.

Thanks for looking in Dave and Ron - it took me a while to build up the funds for those 'little' toys.  However, as shown in ample logs here, and by previous generations of modellers - you don't need the toys to produce great results - it just makes it a little easier (once you work out the workflow).

cheers

Pat

The picture shows my setup and the various steps involved to mill the flats for the square base piece, the flats for the hexagon (which is hand tapered later)

Umm .... Pat ..... unless Endeavour is a lot different to other English ships of the period the HEXagonal sections would have been OCTagonal :huh:  .

Sorry about that mate (unless I'm wrong).

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Yep Danny is right. It is is 8 side . Hopefully Pat has just used the wrong word

;-)

It's a lot easier to make a oxtagonal from a square than a hexagon! I think he just used the wrong word hopefully. Knowing how knowledge Pat is I'm sure he will done it correct. ..

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor